Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 06:25 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times

Advertisements

Yes, you are correct...CA has more career, corporate and wealth building opportunities than Miami or all of FL; though that is not to say none exist in FL—plenty of attorneys, doctors, finance (international finance, CPA’s, wealth managers, Northeast hedge funds relocating here), real estate development, sales, small business owners/entrepreneurs, etc etc. FL is probably better for someone established and/or bringing their wealth earned elsewhere (US, including retirees, or from abroad). I’m all 3 of what you stated—single, retired, empty nester—after having relocated with my tech job/company for the final few years of my career.

I don’t know how many more have followed me over and other Western/Southwestern states remain more popular for most Californians, but I ran into a younger real estate professional couple who just moved here to Miami from LA (who I knew from San Diego—lived across street from me there and belonged to same gym). They cited many of the same reasons for moving from CA to FL as I laid out earlier.

PS...Four Seasons Brickell is great—hopefully it reopens soon, though I still frequent my gym which is open and in the same building (another thing I shake my head at...I’m friends with the owner of Fit Athletic in San Diego which can only operate at 10% capacity and the possibility it and all County gyms might be forced to shut down completely again as soon as this week).

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I like visiting Miami. I stayed in Brickell once (at the Four Seasons) and really enjoyed that area. My grandparents lived in Key Biscayne in their later years and I thought that area was gorgeous. I don't think you get the extreme heat, although you do get extremely humid. Probably something you get used to though, after spending a long time there.

I don't disagree with everything you've said. However, I always thought the Miami area would be a better place to retire vs work. The job market has simply not been comparable to the Bay Area. It also seemed that the jobs that were available were usually Latam outposts for companies (particularly banking), where Spanish fluency was a requirement. My broken Spanish wouldn't cut it (although it can be learned). I do think nowadays with more remote working options, this could be an appeal to a lot of people. I'm not sure if this is the type of environment I'd choose to live in now to raise a family, but I could see this as an appeal if you're single, retired or even an empty nester.

Last edited by elchevere; 09-21-2020 at 07:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 01:23 PM

1,500 posts, read 886,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
As of yesterday the sac bee says there are many fires. I’m not sure how you calculated 600 miles . In the last few weeks there have been fires all over the state.
It looks like there was the lake, ranch 2, and apple fires all in the SoCal area. There’s still many more fires going on
https://www.sacbee.com/news/californ...245265330.html
Aren’t there still fires going on in Monterey and near the Bay Area? If so that is more like 300 miles, not 600.
The comparison was not you specific area of the state, but all of California versus all of Florida.
The same rings true for the south being lumped together. Saying there’s always hurricanes pretty much applies to the coastal areas which is much more limited. I’m in Atlanta and there is no hurricane issue.
Sorry..Bay Area is 400 miles .from where I live

Currently..Sept 21 ...we have not had a fire anywhere near us

Old 09-21-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Never in a million years.
We are staying

Old 09-21-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Really? There was no damage from the Loma Prieta, Ridgecrest, South Napa, Whittier Narrows, etc? If you are going to talk about "hurricanes in FL every year" (3?) you have to talk about earthquakes in CA EVERY DAY, dozens, every day. Just like hurricanes don't hit the same area every year, neither do earthquakes nor in dangerous magnitudes. In the last 20 years only 7 hurricanes made landfall in FL and not since 2018.
I said WE were fine in OC

OC has had no damage. All those you mentioned are not anywhere near us..
Daily little rumbles..we barely even feel those..

As for hurricanes..hmmm..we have reached the end of the alphabet already....

So all the cars floating in Miami were mirages

Old 09-21-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I think you mean 1993 and the only thing that stopped that fire from burning down Newport Beach/Corona del Mar was the fact that they had graded the hills off Newport Coast Drive to build Newport Coast.

I've never forget this picture of the golf pro from Pelican Hill.

Sorry..you are right..it was 93..

Golly...come back when Fl can say no hurricanes for 37 years..

Also ..no humidity, bugs etc etc

Old 09-21-2020, 06:05 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
I live in SoFl and was surprised to meet some CA transplants.
But I think it's a relatively recent 'thing'.
I wish it weren't.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:13 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Sorry..you are right..it was 93..

Golly...come back when Fl can say no hurricanes for 37 years..

Also ..no humidity, bugs etc etc
Why is it you count all the hurricanes over the entire state of Florida against it but not All of the things that happen in California, just your tiny area?
If you want to cherry pick parts of California you should also cherry pick parts of Florida. Places like Gainesville have virtually zero damage from hurricanes while your area had the earthquake.

How many hurricanes have hit Florida? How many earthquakes and fires have hit California? A week or so ago there were a lot of fires all over California. I suspect the fires will continue to be a danger that keeps happening for quite a while.

At least with hurricanes you have an advanced warning it’s coming and evacuate if you want. What is the warning time for an earthquake?
Zero.
I’ve been woken up many times in the middle of the night by earthquakes that were never forecast when I lived in California.

Old 09-23-2020, 11:37 PM

545 posts, read 513,687 times
I'll be buying a place in FL, but I'm from there. Been in L.A. almost 30 years. Wow, time flies. Time to get back to my roots.

I miss the rain and the greenery and the laid back nature of the place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California