Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 08:56 AM

21,565 posts, read 16,072,372 times

Advertisements

A somewhat lengthy, in-depth investigation ... for those who like to consider information substantively:

https://www.propublica.org/article/t...anybody-listen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 09:12 AM

26,580 posts, read 26,445,339 times
Very sobering article. Thanks for posting it.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:28 AM

One of the things that really stuck out, for me, was the comparison of how many (millions) of acres of California forest that typically burned annually in pre-history times - compared to the relatively few acres allowed to burn now.

Wow.

Old 08-29-2020, 11:29 AM

6,327 posts, read 3,568,534 times
Did you found one more thing you and Trump agree on Mutt? Forest management. The other being immigration?

As a Central Valley resident I do think precautions need to be considered when it comes to air quality for prescribed burns. Obviously, huge fires like the ones we just had/have wreck the air in the valley for multiple weeks. So it is worth a shot to see if prescribed burns can be better for the valley air. Although with the amount they are saying should be burned annually hard to imagine that would be the case.

It would be nice if we could use more manual department of corrections inmate labor to remove the under brush and then burn it in biomass plants. If it's going to burn maybe we can at least get some energy out of it and burn it in a more controlled manner that would pollute less PM 2.5 with filters. Not sure if the energy equation would pencil out or not with the energy used to bring in diesel trucks to haul away the brush or not.

Old 08-29-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Did you found one more thing you and Trump agree on Mutt? Forest management. The other being immigration?

As a Central Valley resident I do think precautions need to be considered when it comes to air quality for prescribed burns. Obviously, huge fires like the ones we just had/have wreck the air in the valley for multiple weeks. So it is worth a shot to see if prescribed burns can be better for the valley air. Although with the amount they are saying should be burned annually hard to imagine that would be the case.

It would be nice if we could use more manual department of corrections inmate labor to remove the under brush and then burn it in biomass plants. If it's going to burn maybe we can at least get some energy out of it and burn it in a more controlled manner that would pollute less PM 2.5 with filters. Not sure if the energy equation would pencil out or not with the energy used to bring in diesel trucks to haul away the brush or not.
Nah. I don’t agree with Chump on anything. Not immigration and not forest management either. His view on immigration is xenophobic ... I don’t care who people are: from what socio, economic, racial, religious et al backgrounds - I like all sorts of folks just fine ... I just don’t like so many all at once in close proximity to each other. California would be fine with maybe up to ¼ the population we have. I could even endure ½ current population without kvetching. And if they were mostly poor Mexicans I’d be completely fine with it.

As to forest management: lol at Chumpster’s “sweeping the forest floors” POV. He’s just a stupid, clueless dork. The amount of wildlands / forest acreage in California to “sweep” is beyond “sweepability”. Furthermore, as to California’s responsibility for management, um the majority by far of California forest is national, not state.

But your ponder about air pollution is a real concern. I have thought about that as well. How to balance the need for natural forest burning with the level and location of our populations is a real trick to figure.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:07 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,468,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
One of the things that really stuck out, for me, was the comparison of how many (millions) of acres of California forest that typically burned annually in pre-history times - compared to the relatively few acres allowed to burn now.

Wow.
120 years of fire suppression has caused overgrowth of forests and fuel build up. We have roughly 100x the number of trees per acre in some areas than in 1880.
Back in the day, we had fires pass through and do little more than clean out duff and small trees with little damage to the forests.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:22 PM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Nah. I don’t agree with Chump on anything. Not immigration and not forest management either. His view on immigration is xenophobic ... I don’t care who people are: from what socio, economic, racial, religious et al backgrounds - I like all sorts of folks just fine ... I just don’t like so many all at once in close proximity to each other. California would be fine with maybe up to ¼ the population we have. I could even endure ½ current population without kvetching. And if they were mostly poor Mexicans I’d be completely fine with it..
Open borders and low population density don't go together.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Open borders and low population density don't go together.
Who said anything about open borders? And why is this forest management thread turning into an immigration thread?

Stop.

Old 08-29-2020, 04:58 PM

176 posts, read 288,942 times
Sounds like a choice between planned burning and unplanned burning - going to burn one way or another due to massive fuel load. Is there a 3rd alternative?

Old 08-29-2020, 09:09 PM

6,620 posts, read 4,066,568 times
Prescribed burns got a bad rap because they occasionally get out of control and turn into uncontrolled wildfires. Not going to be popular option among land owners if your property could get literally burned by the feds. The guys at the BLM can't control the wind, and wind is everything when it comes to fires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California