Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 07:49 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
There's only 3 months of winter here, just like anywhere else.

Our early spring and late fall are both pretty chilly, but the the peak of winter, where it dips below zero, typically only lasts 2-3 weeks.
By California standards there is definitely 5 months of winter. Or I guess flip it around say there are 0 months of winter in California.

I really love Vermont on paper but the whole winter thing is just something you don't know until you experience it. You might love it for two weeks or a month but after the novelty wears off will you still enjoy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 08:23 AM

1,002 posts, read 917,181 times
It's definitely not for everyone. I'm originally from Florida and had no idea how people survived winters even in places like the Carolinas. Turned out to be a non-issue. I actually spend more time outside during the year now.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:26 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
flip it around say there are 0 months of winter in California.
How quickly we forget.

February 2019 is coldest in Los Angeles in nearly 60 years:
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...225-story.html

State Of Extremes: California Home To Hottest, Coldest Spots In US:
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018...-death-valley/

More rain ahead following wettest November in years for parts of L.A. County:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-of-l-a-county

Old 09-24-2020, 09:24 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
How quickly we forget.

February 2019 is coldest in Los Angeles in nearly 60 years:
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...225-story.html

State Of Extremes: California Home To Hottest, Coldest Spots In US:
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018...-death-valley/

More rain ahead following wettest November in years for parts of L.A. County:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-of-l-a-county
It's all relative. Coldest for California in 60 years would still be the warmest on record for Vermont.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:35 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
It's all relative. Coldest for California in 60 years would still be the warmest on record for Vermont.
Might be why no one from here is rushing to move to Vermont.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:38 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,929 times
Quote:
Nope the LA Times noted:

DEATH VALLEY (CBSLA) — The Golden State now owns the distinction of being home to both the hottest and coldest place in the continental United States in 2018.

Fortunately not every year and ... in Death Valley.

Old 09-25-2020, 01:41 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
It's too far to the left. For all of the moaning Sanders has to rail against what the billionaires are doing, it's worth noting that Vermont is one of the few states that doesn't actually have any billionaires in it.

As long as our billionaires talk the talk, they're wonderful.
1 out of every 1100 people in the Bay area, is a billionaire...

EDIT~ Regarding the "5 months of Winter, every year."
I couldn't stand waiting 5 months. It would be like COVID sequestration for 5 months, every year. That's almost half of your life...waiting.
And COVID is bad enough, for just 1 year (so far...)

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 09-25-2020 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: added stuff, ya know?

Old 09-26-2020, 04:47 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,151,261 times
Vermont is being over-run by escapees from New York and New Jersey:
https://dnyuz.com/2020/09/26/the-vir...-not-so-small/
Pardon the expression, but "there goes the neighborhood".

Old 09-27-2020, 12:11 PM

545 posts, read 513,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
1 out of every 1100 people in the Bay area, is a billionaire...

On it's face, that is hard to believe

You got your numbers mixed up big time

Old 09-28-2020, 12:39 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,490,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
I'm certain I'm not speaking for all Vermonters.

What Vermont has going for it:
-Lowest Covid19 rates in the nation - yesterday we had 3 reported cases statewide
-Prior to Covid19, Chittenden county had the lowest unemployment rate in the nation
-Middle of the road housing prices
-Middle of the road cost of living
-Left leaning population
-Left leaning population even in most rural parts of the state, not just cities dragging everyone else with them
-Politicians that, for the most part, actually solve problems and can communicate across the aisle
-Decent access to jobs (not universally throughout the state, admittedly) including tech industry. Global Foundries (formerly IBM) is here, for instance
-Mandatory recycling and composting, state-wide
-Roadside billboards and advertisements are illegal
-No fossil fuel industry
-Gorgeous natural scenery
-Great air quality
-Strong outdoor and tourism industries

Why Vermont might want Californians:
-Vermont has a declining population, we could especially use more young workers. Lowest unemployment rates in the nation?
-Please bring your money here. I'm not afraid of being priced out; there's plenty of land to go around.

And to further entice, I took this picture yesterday. It was 72 degrees and sunny.

Why might Californians not want to move to Vermont? I'd like to hear some feedback.

I'm from New Jersey and I moved to California 3 months ago. I visited Vermont in August 2018 and the summer weather was a relief compared to NJ weather. NJ weather is so muggy in the summer, but Vermont does not seem to get as humid. The summer weather was in the 80s and was not too uncomfortable, only slightly humid. I was impressed with the summer weather. I loved the scenery there just as much as the scenery in the Pacific Northwest. When I went back to NJ, I realized how the summer weather was uncomfortable and muggy.

Here in the Bay Area of CA, the scenery here is kind of bland and the summer weather here is too hot ALL THE TIME and overhyped.

I have not visited Vermont in the winter, but if I did not have family, I would move from the West to Vermont (not so much in heartbeat). I like the cold and I like the scenery there. That's the only place in the East I would live in. I would visit Vermont in the winter before I make a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California