Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 06:28 PM

590 posts, read 931,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Imagine if prop 13 is eliminated and all us proles have to pay property taxes commiserate with our Johnny-come-lately uber-rich neighbors?

The transition of home ownership from the middle class to the elites will be complete.
First things first. Vote NO on this November's Prop 15. If passed, this proposition will repeal the property tax protections for business and commercial properties that were established by the original 1970's Prop 13. If this portion of Prop 13 is repealed then repealing the residential property tax protections is next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 08:34 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Imagine if prop 13 is eliminated and all us proles have to pay property taxes commiserate with our Johnny-come-lately uber-rich neighbors?

The transition of home ownership from the middle class to the elites will be complete.
I am curious what you consider Uber Rich?

Old 09-24-2020, 08:45 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Median is the middle of a set of numbers. Meaning there are numbers above, but also below. So the affordable areas are the places with homes selling at below the median.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:33 PM

307 posts, read 241,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I just Googled Fresno (random city - I've been there only once). Median home price there is $277 K, according to Zillow. There have to be hundreds of cities in this state in which the median home price is half what is listed in the OP.

(Here's another: Redding - $297 K. The only negative is that it's hotter than a pistol during the summer. And what about Bakersfield? $263 K. There are some very nice parts of Bakersfield....)
The Central Valley is way cheaper than more popular cities along the coast. As for crime issues, I'm orginially from Fresno and crime doesn't cover the entire area at all

Old 09-25-2020, 05:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yes, if you want to live in LA or the Bay Area. But not so much in the rest Of the state. Big state. Big differences. You could not pay me enough to move to TX or AZ. There is a reason why LA or the Bay Area are high priced. Think of it this way: one can get a basic Ford or Chevy for under 20 k. And you can get a Lexus or BMW for 60 k . Granted, both choices will get you to the local Safeway. But which will be more fun on a road trip or a Sunday cruise?
Yes. the desirability is one thing that keeps the prices high but the job market is another.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:41 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro1000 View Post
As for crime issues, I'm orginially from Fresno and crime doesn't cover the entire area at all
Exactly.

And to whoever left me the reputation point with the comment, "Pasadena v Fresno? ha ha u are crazy," I lived in Pasadena, and there are obviously areas that have more crime than others, as is true in most cities. Same with Venice--also lived there--with a current median home price of $1,941 K.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:06 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,637,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Can I ask why its prices increase despite the exodus?

I love CA but I couldn’t and wouldn’t pay $700k to live in a house I could get for less than half that price elsewhere just to live there. I mean, TX and GA are not California but it’s not that bad either. Much more well rounded economic systems that are not just meant for the elite too.
Because the exodus is not a thing

Old 09-25-2020, 08:40 AM

798 posts, read 502,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaliman View Post
I agree. My mortgage is on a 360,000 loan. I could not imagine paying a 700,000 mortgage. I always wonder how there are so many people that could afford a 700,000 plus home. There is no way I could afford my home if I were to buy it right now. My property taxes would double and I would be eating top ramen every meal. I can't see how anyone who makes under 200,000 could afford a 700k home. At least if you live responsibly and save money every month and put into retirement.
I am living in the marital home post divorce with zero help from he ex but I am surviving just fine with a 260K mortgage on a home that is now worth almost 600K thsanks to the limited supply of houses 4 $ale

Going to refinance but not cash out more than 40K

I feel a drop coming in 2021 LOOK at all of the businesses gong BK due to COVID-19

Old 09-25-2020, 10:14 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,170,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I just Googled Fresno (random city - I've been there only once). Median home price there is $277 K, according to Zillow. There have to be hundreds of cities in this state in which the median home price is half what is listed in the OP.

(Here's another: Redding - $297 K. The only negative is that it's hotter than a pistol during the summer. And what about Bakersfield? $263 K. There are some very nice parts of Bakersfield....)
I checked prices on that city too. The lowest priced new construction home is over $300k!

Old 09-25-2020, 10:24 AM

798 posts, read 502,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
First things first. Vote NO on this November's Prop 15. If passed, this proposition will repeal the property tax protections for business and commercial properties that were established by the original 1970's Prop 13. If this portion of Prop 13 is repealed then repealing the residential property tax protections is next.
Where can we further discuss these props?

The commercials are so confusing and deceptive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California