Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2020, 04:27 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I love small towns, but my wife is like you and likes the bigger cities. We have to find a place that’s in the middle, but there’s plenty of places that have a small town feel but close to a larger city.
Completely agree with this. Another limitation for my wife and I had been prevalence of jobs. We needed to live in a large metro area to have a lot of options (we're both in high tech). We were worried if we relocated somewhere for a job and something happened (layoff, not getting along with boss, looking for better opportunity) we'd be essentially stuck. I have colleagues in small/mid tier metros that have told me about this in their careers and it has limited their career mobility.

With COVID's onset, remote work has become a possibility. We're not ready to move permanently yet as we don't know if companies will go back to their old ways when all is said and done. Still, its something we we'll be keeping our eyes on over the next year. We're also not sure if we are ready to relocate full time or rather buy a vacation property near a lake or mountain town that we can stay at for long periods of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 04:37 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Well, considering that you live in Paradise, you should be well aware of the effects of climate change.

Bravo for Newsom in having some courage to improve our environment, unlike the failed leadership in Washington.

2035!!!!

Really, we have less than SEVEN years left according to the Democrats.

Newsome refuses to implement 55 MPH which will reduce emissions by 20% TOMORROW....but he is OK with waiting until 2035!!!

Do you think that all this is a scam run by Newsome??

Old 09-23-2020, 04:41 PM

315 posts, read 195,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
By then electric vehicles will be seen as vastly superior in many use cases anyways, and already be dominating sales.

That's great, so why do we need the government to tell us what we can and cannot buy?

I've no doubt the simplicity of EVs vs. ICEs coupled with advanced battery technology will allow them a competitive advantage by then. If the infrastructure is in place there's no need for this silly power-tripping legislation. But Gavin's never missed a chance to snag the spotlight so this is simply more of the same.

Last edited by BurntCoffey; 09-23-2020 at 06:05 PM..

Old 09-23-2020, 04:52 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
I think I would have trouble relating with people if most of those around me were highly religious, far right leaning ideologs. Which brings me back to my earlier question, where is this utopia?
Unless you are in a small town where most everyone is over 60, politics and religion will have minimal impact unless you push it. I have lived in both hard right and hard left and both with religions and ... never a problem. I talk with my neighbors and no problem. The ones who push it have the problem and that is a rarity in most places, well OK maybe the Bay Area and SF..

Old 09-23-2020, 04:54 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Not surprised at all. The writing has been on the wall for years now. Good thing Tesla just announced the production of a $25,000 model ford ale in 2022.

I think long term electric makes sense. But make no mistake there will be challenges in achieving this. On the bright side we should have low unemployment with all the infrastructure that will need to be built up.

I’m sure their will be hefty fees tied to registration as well. Otherwise what would prevent people from buying new or even 2-3 year old ICE vehicles in other states and bringing them here.

Does electric work better with autonomous driving over ICE vehicles with autonomous driving abilities? If so that would really be a large reason as well to go all electric.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Unless you are in a small town where most everyone is over 60, politics and religion will have minimal impact unless you push it. I have lived in both hard right and hard left and both with religions and ... never a problem. I talk with my neighbors and no problem. The ones who push it have the problem and that is a rarity in most places, well OK maybe the Bay Area and SF..
I disagree. I grew up in a small town, so can speak from experience. Yes, people there are generally nicer to your face and you can absolutely engage in small talk without getting into politics. However, most of the social scene revolves around churches. If you're not a member of the church, you are always somewhat of an outsider.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:59 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
I disagree. I grew up in a small town, so can speak from experience. Yes, people there are generally nicer to your face and you can absolutely engage in small talk without getting into politics. However, most of the social scene revolves around churches. If you're not a member of the church, you are always somewhat of an outsider.
I lived in a small rural town in the heart of the Bible, actually 2 such towns, and never had a problem. I am sure there are such, but a bigger city like Austin, Dallas, Raleigh, Atlanta (even the suburbs) and others their size is totally different. Now a 500 to 2000 people town in Alabama may be a different case.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:02 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,352 times
Quote:
So, you're against fighting climate change because it doesn't benefit you personally? Or is it because you don't care about the planet you're leaving for your grandchildren?
This takes a global effort. Take a trip to India and China. You can look directly at the sun at high noon. You don’t think the pollution they create is encircling the Earth? Another pipe dream mandate.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
This takes a global effort. Take a trip to India and China. You can look directly at the sun at high noon. You don’t think the pollution they create is encircling the Earth? Another pipe dream mandate.
So, if others are jumping off a cliff, we should follow suit? Showing global leadership does change how others behave. China is moving towards a more renewable energy based economy. Sure, they have a long way to go (as do we), but everyone needs to start somewhere.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
I lived in a small rural town in the heart of the Bible, actually 2 such towns, and never had a problem. I am sure there are such, but a bigger city like Austin, Dallas, Raleigh, Atlanta (even the suburbs) and others their size is totally different. Now a 500 to 2000 people town in Alabama may be a different case.
Sure, agreed about mid / large sized cities, as you've mentioned. But, I wouldn't exactly call any of those small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California