Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2020, 04:37 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,233,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Same place I'm heading with my pension. North of Austin in the hill country. I'll probably go to the beach more if I come back on vacation. I've been here 38 years and time for a change. We already have family and friends there.
I was joking about the mocking, but we will likely be moving (finally) early next year. We’re looking at Austin or North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 04:40 PM

50,058 posts, read 46,570,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
How far out is that? Some of the homes near the city (lake Austin) are well into the millions. We looked a few years ago at Steiner Ranch and there is some good value there, although the commute wasn't great (not any worse than here in the Bay Area though).
North about an hour or a bit less. I'll be working from home so no commute needed. Well, the daily golf cart down to the lake to fish in my lunch time maybe. I am tired of people, traffic and most of all, these CA politics.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:41 PM

50,058 posts, read 46,570,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I was joking about the mocking, but we will likely be moving (finally) early next year. We’re looking at Austin or North Carolina.
Those are our two finalists too. Eyeballing a lake house on lake Tillery for 325 grand with a private dock and a huge garage with all the man cave trimmings. So we'll have 400 grand left over to travel or whatevers with.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:43 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,939,460 times
I believe this is Gavin's 'Train to Nowhere'. Of course, by 2035, Gavin will be a footnote in California history. He will retired to his mansions and drink his own wine and have to good life. Much like Jerry Brown at his ranch in the Central Valley.

Life is sweet for these guys.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:45 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,384,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Are you betting there will not be comparables in 15 years?

Hard to say.

Heavy equipment is an entirely different animal. It's not just a matter of repowering the same design with a bunch of batteries. I'm all for innovation but the state's goal is to force it with hard limits, rather than adapt naturally as the technology grows. That's where my main opposition lies; the execution.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Those are our two finalists too. Eyeballing a lake house on lake Tillery for 325 grand with a private dock and a huge garage with all the man cave trimmings. So we'll have 400 grand left over to travel or whatevers with.
We’re going to rent first to make sure we like it. I’ve been both places, but not for an extended period of time. If I can live in North Dakota, I figure I can live anywhere. The prices of homes in both places is unbelievable.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:47 PM

4,307 posts, read 6,227,422 times
Quote:
North about an hour or a bit less. I'll be working from home so no commute needed. Well, the daily golf cart down to the lake to fish in my lunch time maybe. I am tired of people, traffic and most of all, these CA politics.
Sounds like a great, quiet lifestyle.

I was chatting with a co-worker who moved from the Bay Area to the Dallas area a few years ago, for the same reasons. He was raving about being able to buy two homes, including one with a ranch. I think that's great if that's the type of lifestyle you're looking for.

As for me, I need to be closer to more civilization. I'm a city person at heart. While I don't live in the middle of SF as I once did (due to raising a family), I like being close enough to be able to access all of the amenities. Not saying I love everything about it here and we're honestly considering leaving. The fire situation we've had as of recent times has really given my wife and I pause into whether CA is where we want to be long-term.

I do agree that there are areas of political mis-management and fiscally, California is being managed a lot worse than other states. At the same time, I find much of the socially conservative dogma coming out of the right very stifling as well. I think I would have trouble relating with people if most of those around me were highly religious, far right leaning ideologs. Which brings me back to my earlier question, where is this utopia?

Old 09-23-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a great, quiet lifestyle.

I was chatting with a co-worker who moved from the Bay Area to the Dallas area a few years ago, for the same reasons. He was raving about being able to buy two homes, including one with a ranch. I think that's great if that's the type of lifestyle you're looking for.

As for me, I need to be closer to more civilization. I'm a city person at heart. While I don't live in the middle of SF as I once did (due to raising a family), I like being close enough to be able to access all of the amenities. Not saying I love everything about it here and we're honestly considering leaving. The fire situation we've had as of recent times has really given my wife and I pause into whether CA is where we want to be long-term.

I do agree that there are areas of political mis-management and fiscally, California is being managed a lot worse than other states. At the same time, I find much of the socially conservative dogma coming out of the right very stifling as well. I think I would have trouble relating with people if most of those around me were highly religious, far right leaning ideologs. Which brings me back to my earlier question, where is this utopia?
You are correct that every place has issues. There is no utopia. Politics don’t usually bother me enough to move because they can change. The cost of living in Southern California is ridiculous but it IS Southern California, so you have to expect that.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:04 PM

4,307 posts, read 6,227,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
You are correct that every place has issues. There is no utopia. Politics don’t usually bother me enough to move because they can change. The cost of living in Southern California is ridiculous but it IS Southern California, so you have to expect that.
I do agree a lot of places are changing. We honestly have considered some cities in the South because they are turning more purple demographically. I don't agree with everything on the Left either, but I know I would feel out of place in most rural areas or small towns (maybe except some college towns).

Old 09-23-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I do agree a lot of places are changing. We honestly have considered some cities in the South because they are turning more purple demographically. I don't agree with everything on the Left either, but I know I would feel out of place in most rural areas or small towns (maybe except some college towns).
I love small towns, but my wife is like you and likes the bigger cities. We have to find a place that’s in the middle, but there’s plenty of places that have a small town feel but close to a larger city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California