Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 02:43 PM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times

Advertisements

From the Bay Area News Group: “They need to be on the hook for it”: PG&E customers bristle at rate hikes to fund maintenance

The money to pay for fire liability and upgrades has to come from somewhere. IMO execs and shareholders should be first in line, not ratepayers.

The following is indeed shocking:

Quote:
A year ago, Kristof Tigyi paid $120 to PG&E for heat and electricity for his one-bedroom apartment in Santa Cruz. This month, he was shocked to find that his bill had more than doubled — to $338.

“I’ve been here for 10 years, and I’ve never paid close to this much,” he said. “I know I’m not the only one who’s upset.”
This has to be an error, right? $338 for a one-bedroom apartment in a climate that doesn't really get below freezing is appalling. For comparison our January electric + gas bill here in Boise was $230 for our 3200 sq ft house. We leave the thermostat at 70F and temperatures got down to near 0F for a few days.

So is this an outlier, or are others seeing something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 03:35 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post

This has to be an error, right? $338 for a one-bedroom apartment in a climate that doesn't really get below freezing is appalling. For comparison our January electric + gas bill here in Boise was $230 for our 3200 sq ft house. We leave the thermostat at 70F and temperatures got down to near 0F for a few days.

I just took a look at our SDGE bill recently. Looks like we've been averaging $200/month gas and electricity combined. It's a 1400 sf home. Just my wife, me and our dog. We don't use heat all year round and we don't have AC. We're only five miles from the coast as the crow flies. Weather is mild compared to places further inland. Last summer, we didn't even run the portable AC units. We do seem to leave a lot of lights on, but I can't imagine that's what's causing our bill to be so high. Just adding this for frame of reference. That still seems high for a one bedroom.

Last edited by stablegenius; 02-05-2024 at 04:00 PM..

Old 02-05-2024, 04:24 PM

392 posts, read 275,084 times
Our last PG&E bill was over $800 for our main residence. We do have a pool that runs all year...I'd like to fill it in with dirt and make a putting green out of it.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:47 PM

89 posts, read 63,091 times
Quote:
From the Bay Area News Group: “They need to be on the hook for it”: PG&E customers bristle at rate hikes to fund maintenance

The money to pay for fire liability and upgrades has to come from somewhere. IMO execs and shareholders should be first in line, not ratepayers.

The following is indeed shocking:

Hard to say without investigating - there could be other reasons other than energy costs or errors for this. The furnace might be malfunctioning drawing way more gas than necessary. Or a small gas leak somewhere outside which adds up over time. That said energy costs have gone up a lot in recent times.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:50 PM

89 posts, read 63,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
I just took a look at our SDGE bill recently. Looks like we've been averaging $200/month gas and electricity combined. It's a 1400 sf home. Just my wife, me and our dog. We don't use heat all year round and we don't have AC. We're only five miles from the coast as the crow flies. Weather is mild compared to places further inland. Last summer, we didn't even run the portable AC units. We do seem to leave a lot of lights on, but I can't imagine that's what's causing our bill to be so high. Just adding this for frame of reference. That still seems high for a one bedroom.
You can get one of those Killawatt meters and investigate if something is drawing more current that it should. You should be able to do some rough calcs and use that with the electricity rates to see if it makes sense. For gas you can clock the gas meter while your gas appliances are running and check if the gas consumption is in line with what you expect.

Old 02-05-2024, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1067 View Post
Our last PG&E bill was over $800 for our main residence. We do have a pool that runs all year...I'd like to fill it in with dirt and make a putting green out of it.
Is that normal, which would mean paying PG&E nearly $10,000/year? If a lot of that's from the pool then yeah, I would fill that in ASAP, or maybe get solar panels/heaters.

Old 02-05-2024, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
$200 isn't too bad, though still seems high for being in a mild year-round climate. Lights, assuming they're LED, shouldn't use very much electricity.

Old 02-05-2024, 09:48 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
PGE customers feeling what San Diego customers been feeling for years.

Old 02-06-2024, 03:36 PM

392 posts, read 275,084 times
Quote:
Is that normal, which would mean paying PG&E nearly $10,000/year? If a lot of that's from the pool then yeah, I would fill that in ASAP, or maybe get solar panels/heaters.
Unfortunately that's pretty normal for us. Most of the usage is electricity, not much gas use. We have a gas range and gas water heater. The pool is already solar heated, so it's just the filter pump running. Just the two of us in the house, so not sure where else we're wasting electricity.

Old 02-06-2024, 07:52 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
PGE customers feeling what San Diego customers been feeling for years.
This except "customer" really isn't the proper word. Let's try hostage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California