Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 10:36 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

A mountain lion killed a 21-year-old man and badly wounded his younger brother before officials euthanized the animal Saturday afternoon in a remote wooded area of northern California, according to authorities
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ack-california
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2024, 11:47 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
People need to be aware when they go to isolated spots.

Old 03-24-2024, 04:12 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
We live 70 miles from that spot in a similar environment. We have black bears, raccoons, skunks, squirrels, red fox, rattle snakes, coyotes and mountain lions. I had seen them all in our own backyard with the exception of the last two, but that doesn't mean they are not around. I won't take our small dog out for a walk without some protection, bear spray, machete or a baseball bat. Out in the woods I prefer something stronger. I find it sad that two grown men couldn't fight off a mountain lion.

The last lion attack on a woman happened north of us, and she was saved by her dog, a Belgian Malinois. The dog survived the immediate attack but died later form the injuries.

Old 03-24-2024, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
We live 70 miles from that spot in a similar environment. We have black bears, raccoons, skunks, squirrels, red fox, rattle snakes, coyotes and mountain lions. I had seen them all in our own backyard with the exception of the last two, but that doesn't mean they are not around. I won't take our small dog out for a walk without some protection, bear spray, machete or a baseball bat. Out in the woods I prefer something stronger. I find it sad that two grown men couldn't fight off a mountain lion.

The last lion attack on a woman happened north of us, and she was saved by her dog, a Belgian Malinois. The dog survived the immediate attack but died later form the injuries.
Thing about mountain lion attacks is they are so stealthy and so quick that victims don’t usually have even a split second warning … they’re just on you before you can react with weapons.

My guess is maybe the lion was first on the younger brother who survived and when big brother intervened, he was killed while younger brother was ripped up and disoriented and running way. Likely didn’t even know his brother was in the mix.

Old 03-25-2024, 12:43 AM

7,237 posts, read 3,776,807 times
That's a nice area up there. Georgetown is a nice little town.

Anyone who goes up there in those back areas should not go alone and they should be armed at all times. Make plenty of noise. Cougars are ambush animals, usually from behind, but they are also known to stalk people and attack head-on. There are videos on YT of people being stalked and there is at least one video of a hiker who was attacked head-on, but he luckily killed it with his Glock. You have the right to protect yourself.

Old 03-25-2024, 01:47 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
We subscribe to the much-despised "Nextdoor" website. Every few weeks someone posts a quick video of a mountain lion crossing their yard, usually at night. I haven't seen one yet, but they are around.

We had two encounters with black bears, one at night and it ran away when we went outside to check with the Airedale. The other was in the early afternoon and the bear climbed a big oak tree halfway, and was so scared of us it didn't leave until later that night. I'm more worried about raccoons and lions.

Our 5-feet-high chain link fence is for decoration only. I had seen deer jump over it the way I step over a paper bag on the street. The black bear climbed over it coming in under 4 seconds. We don't allow our dogs out at night unless I'm there watching.

Old 03-25-2024, 02:36 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Just one of the risks of living in the urban-wildland interface. Nature is fascinating and awe-inspiring, but the struggle for survival is built in.

Old 03-25-2024, 02:38 PM

7,237 posts, read 3,776,807 times
I remember a ways back a cougar went up a tree in a residential area of Palo Alto near an elementary school and was shot by a Palo Alto PD officer when an AR-15. The officer didn't screw around. The cat made a move like it was going to jump from the tree and she plugged it. Good shot too. The cat was DRT.

Old 03-25-2024, 02:46 PM

783 posts, read 836,666 times
I wonder if they had shot anything? Some of these attacks seem to be when hunters are dressing their kill or tracking a wounded animal? I remember a bear attack killed some in a hunting party who were very experienced in Wyoming in this scenario....

This is scary for those of us who live in mountain lion habitat and hike/bike/camp etc. These guys were armed and hunters and still were severely injured and killed. I also wonder if having big dogs with me would help, at least buy you time to get out the spray or gun. Seems like the lions attack the dogs first over the humans....my dogs get terrified sometimes when we are out biking or hiking, like all hair up, eyes big, walking against me...I always think it mean there is a lion around because they don't get that terrified of bears.

I'm in Nevada and do get more nervous in heavily forested areas like where this happened as the element of surprise is that much more deadly

So very sad for these young men.

Old 03-25-2024, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
I wonder if they had shot anything? Some of these attacks seem to be when hunters are dressing their kill or tracking a wounded animal? I remember a bear attack killed some in a hunting party who were very experienced in Wyoming in this scenario....

This is scary for those of us who live in mountain lion habitat and hike/bike/camp etc. These guys were armed and hunters and still were severely injured and killed. I also wonder if having big dogs with me would help, at least buy you time to get out the spray or gun. Seems like the lions attack the dogs first over the humans....

I'm in Nevada and do get more nervous in heavily forested areas like where this happened as the element of surprise is that much more deadly

So very sad for these young men.
Article said the victims were collecting “shed antlers”. Maybe they had firearms with as well, wouldn’t be a surprise in that area … maybe not.

Mountain lions hate dogs … except for little tasty ones. Couple mid-sized canines is enough to keep cats at bay even though they can obviously whip them. Big dogs (hunting type, not St Bernard type) all the better, of course. Good dog with, I don’t feel need for any other weapon. And, as I said before, weapons are very often useless against sudden ambush by a cat. Dogs know when a cat is anywhere in the vicinity … and cats know the dogs know, so they won’t even come close. No ambush. No problemo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California