Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:50 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,733,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Growth rate of 500k per year - mostly due to births and immigration. A lot of people say that California is losing population... but that doesn't seem to be the case! Now I know the rebuttal - CA is losing middle class, whites, educated people, etc... but that is a much harder statistic to nail down - and in the end, isn't today's immigrant tomorrow's middle class?
I know you opened up a can of worms with that one, lol.

My parents being children of immigrants who are tax paying citizens, and myself being a tax paying citizen grandson of immigrants, i appreciate you having that point of view when so many see us as dregs of society.

The state is growing crowded due to it being such a desireable area(through immigration and transplants).

Hopefully, in the future infrastructure will be improved as well cost of living so this can continue to be a great state.
If NY can fit so many people into such a small area and still be great city, I'm sure it can be done! We just got a lot of work to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 01:19 PM

168 posts, read 904,550 times
If CA drops further than #3 in Fortune 500 cos. will that bother you?

Growth is good, but only in an environment where businesses are encouraged to stay and grow. The CA Legislature has not had a good track record of late. Many businesses have fled to other states that have fewer regulations and lower taxes.

I love CA and want to see it thrive. Political attitudes must change and be more business-friendly.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:47 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,140,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLynn View Post
If CA drops further than #3 in Fortune 500 cos. will that bother you?
The NY Metro has always been the center of corporate America, did you know that the NY Tri State Area accounts for 180 of the 500 fortune 500 companies? Chicagoland is 2nd with 30 and The Bay Area is 3rd with 29. This is not something new.

Texas companies have surged in recent years due to the increase in prices and demand for energy thus lifting their revenue, which is what the F500 is based on.

To say that California is "slipping" in this respect, is not really accurate.

Quote:
Growth is good, but only in an environment where businesses are encouraged to stay and grow. The CA Legislature has not had a good track record of late.
Yet California's economy as of late continues to grow rather briskly even compared to states like Georgia and Texas.

Quote:
Many businesses have fled to other states that have fewer regulations and lower taxes.
The Public Policy Institute took a look at the data and concluded that all this talk of companies leaving to find cheaper states to do business in actuality was widely overblown.

The study looks at the years of 1992 through 2004 and shows that California has not had a mass exodus of businesses. Most of the business relocations have occurred within California, usually to an adjacent county where land prices are cheaper.

There is the usual ebb and flow of businesses in and out of California but are replaced by new businesses that move into California or start here.

In the words of the study:

"[T]he small number of California jobs moving to other states due to business relocation is relatively inconsequential—about 11,000 jobs per year out of more than 18 million (.06 percent). Business births, deaths, contractions, and expansions have a much greater effect on employment."

Claim of California Jobs Moving Out of State Shown by Study to be a Myth - California Progress Report (http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/2007/11/claim_of_califo.html - broken link)

My personal theory on this is that the squeaky wheel gets the oil, likewise, the complainers get all the attention.

Quote:
I love CA and want to see it thrive. Political attitudes must change and be more business-friendly.
What can the government do to accomodate that? Im not being sarcastic or facetious, I really would like to know what sorts of taxes and burdens being placed on employers need to be eased?

Old 05-05-2008, 02:00 PM

Read this article:

Business climate change should worry California - San Francisco Business Times:

I don't think things have gotten better for business since it was written.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:13 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,140,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLynn View Post
Read this article:

Business climate change should worry California - San Francisco Business Times:

I don't think things have gotten better for business since it was written.
The business community is always going to oppose any thing even remotely resembling legislation that will require them to pay for anything.

I dont blame them, but they have employees that must be taken care of.

The extreme opposite is Wal Mart's formula, which is to only hire part-timers to avoid paying benefits, but then their workers turn to the government for health care.

Aside from no health care coverage at all, what solution would business support?

In the meantime,
our economy since 2004 has grown by about $350 Billion, not bad.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:12 PM

If business is sustaining the workforce and the state isn't losing more and more business revenue every year, then great.

But CA's reputation as a bad-for-business state didn't materialize out of thin air. I'm just asking that we try to turn that reputation around.

CEOs Weigh in on Best, Worst States to Do Business shows how CA compares to other states according to a 2008 survey amoung 605 of the countries top CEO's.

Yes, I'm aware that businesses don't like to be told they have to take on more costs of doing business. That is the whole point.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:17 PM

9,521 posts, read 30,346,826 times
Corporate CEO's and their workforces have conflicting interests. Corporate leaders want to put their facilities in places with low-cost land and labor, low-taxes, and lax labor laws. Workers, on the other hand, especially the highly educated workers which business love, don't want to live in those areas. They want to live in NY and CA. So there is a certain level of stasis built into the system, where in lean years jobs go to low cost centers, and in boom years they come back. NYC is as business-unfriendly as it gets - they even have a city income tax - but do you really think that NYC is going to be "ruined" because of it?

Old 05-05-2008, 03:41 PM

I don't think we have an argument, just differing philosophies.

You say the poisoned well hasn't killed off the community. True.

I'm saying let's stop poisoning the well and make the community healthier.

It's just an analogy, folks, just trying to make a point.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:40 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,708,395 times
The way I see it is, people with an opinion are generally displeased with California...basically the Cali born baby-boomers. And why? Because of growth, whether it is due to illegal or legal immigration or not. So how can more growth be any good, if this is what growth has done in the first place to seperate so many people?

Keep growing...like someone said, "and I can't believe all the rural areas"...well keep growing in places like Los Angeles and San Diego...live 10 ppl to a home, reach out and touch your neighbors through your bedroom windows. I'm with the rest....outta here.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:58 PM

1,994 posts, read 4,842,842 times
California is the state that people will always have something to complain about whether it's the Population Growth,Immigration,Pollution,Crime,Traffic,Sprawl, Cost of Living,Environmentalist...The list goes on and on.

Well people this is California,the state with the Good,the Mediocre and the Bad,but it's not all the same everywhere here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California