Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 09:44 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Independent Contractor has not changed in the last decade. .
That doesn't sound right.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesl...h=5046bf60494d

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_inde...contractor.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind, while you're voting "No", that you're also affecting more than just app drivers. You're affecting writers in Hollywood, you're affecting a lot of freelancers, you're affecting a lot of other ICs in many different types of work - from construction to truck drivers, you're affecting a LOT of people with that "No" vote.
Screenwriters have app-based jobs?

Old 11-02-2020, 10:28 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Don't the ride share programs set the rates they're allowed to charge? That's something independent contractors would be able to do, but can't b/c that's up to Uber, Lyft, etc.
In what bizarre parallel universe do you think independent contractor means you charge whatever you want? Independent contractor means you are not a full time employee of a company. It doesn't mean you get to dictate what a company/organization pays you. Sports officials for high schools and colleges are independent contractors, but they don't individually get to tell a school what the school needs to pay them for referring a freshman football game.

Old 11-02-2020, 01:17 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Screenwriters have app-based jobs?
Do you even know what this is all about? Do you really think it's just about app job drivers?

Newsom did this bs in 2019:

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Inde...Contractor.htm

Let Prop 22 fail, watch what happens. These types of things are never a "one and done".

Old 11-02-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Do you even know what this is all about? Do you really think it's just about app job drivers?
I voted yes on this proposition and mailed in my ballot weeks ago. FWIW, I have a niece who drives for Lyft.

Quote:
Let Prop 22 fail, watch what happens. These types of things are never a "one and done".
Curious as to why you're concerned if you no longer live in California.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:06 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

Taxi drivers, who have app based drivers are voting against it.
Oops, I wrote that backward, gawd knows what happened to my post, maybe it’s autocorrected. I’m voting yes on Prop 22, only taxi drivers would vote no against it. Actually both my husband and I would vote yes on this, the only prop we vote yes this year.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:35 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
It’s interesting how many Haunted attractions were independent contractors in the past and maybe today as well. I remember several incidents where suits were filed against the grounds owner including parks or the attractions themselves by many parties different parties ranging from performers or visitors of various mishaps requiring hospitalization, but were dismissed due to the fact that the workers there were independent contractors. It seems a get out of liability free card in some ways I find. Flixbus is a night mare for any one involved should mishaps happen and they are based on the gig model. I am surprised prop 22 did not address this major issue

Old 11-04-2020, 09:47 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
It passed! Thank goodness!

Here's part of the email from Uber about this victory:
Quote:
"This evening, California voters passed Prop 22. So beginning soon, and for the first time ever in the U.S., companies like Uber (including Uber Eats) will provide new benefits and protections to drivers—without compromising their ability to work independently. These new benefits include:
Healthcare contributions for drivers who work at least 15 hours a week
Occupational accident insurance to cover medical bills for injuries sustained while driving or delivering
A minimum earning guarantee that is 120% of minimum wage for engaged time and includes an additional $0.30/mile for expenses, with no upper limit on drivers’ ability to earn more

If you joined us in voting yes, thank you. If you voted no, please know we recognize that we haven’t always gotten it right, particularly in our relationship with drivers. We believe this vote paves the way toward a better, more secure future for drivers and for all app-based workers. And we’ll continue to advocate for drivers everywhere, because we agree that they deserve better."
Total win for Independent Contractors in the state of CA. Also, their pay model is now better than another gig app job that guaranteed a 120% of min wage for scheduling. Uber is also including 30 cents per mile - that is amazing! I'm sure it's just for CA drivers, but that will definitely help considering the high gas prices there.

Like I said at the beginning, I no longer live in CA, but I was there when Newsom passed that law I posted earlier. It would have destroyed income for so many people - but CA got this one right. Thank goodness.

Old 11-04-2020, 10:17 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
I sure wished that it also mandated the apps to provide third party liability insurance as well. Whenever the gig worker is considered working. Closing the dangerous loopholes that happens currently. I still don’t buy the workers would lose independence excuse given by the app companies who used $200 million to lobby and persuade. They will only lose independence if the app’s policies change but that is entirely with the app companies discretion not California’s bill. The pay issue is another thing though. Does it mean it’s illegal under CA employment rules to pay different prices for different delivery jobs should they become employees? Or it it legal as long as they are paid at least minimum wage when they are “on the clock?”
As I remember some sign waiving or human directional companies and Seasonal attractions such as Haunted houses changing their worker status from IC to employee or W9 pay to w4 pay but rest of the attendance to work policies remains pretty much the same. Can still work when one wants.

I hear though higher earning ICs often end up paying more taxes than similar employees do.
And while tax deductions for mileage seems lucrative however the company is required to compensate for miles, fuel, and wear and tear.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 11-04-2020 at 10:35 AM..

Old 12-14-2020, 06:21 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
Default pros22

alifornians this week will start to see the effects of Proposition 22, the ballot measure that 58% of the state’s voters passed in November.

The measure exempts app-based, on-demand companies from California labor law and keeps gig workers classified as independent contractors instead of employees. Ride-hailing drivers and app-based delivery workers will see some gains in pay and benefits but not full employee protections.

Some of the companies — which together spent more than $200 million to pass Proposition 22 — now say they will raise rates for customers. Uber Technologies Inc. UBER, -2.22% is calling the increases on every ride and delivery a “California Driver Benefits Fee,” which it said will vary depending on the costs of operating in different markets. DoorDash Inc. DASH, -8.57% will reportedly raise service fees, while Lyft Inc. LYFT, -0.21% and Instacart on Monday did not address questions about raising rates and fees.

See: Uber and Lyft win fight to keep drivers as contractors in California

Gig Workers Rising, a worker group that opposed Proposition 22, on Monday called the increase in consumer rates “a corporate bait and switch,” saying in a statement that “Uber and other app corporations said time and again during their Prop. 22 campaign that if the measure failed to go through, riders could expect higher rates. Now that Prop. 22 has passed, Uber is announcing that riders will have to shoulder increased costs after all.”

Drivers for Uber and Lyft, and delivery workers for Instacart, will begin this week to earn guaranteed earnings equivalent to 120% of the minimum wage during their engaged or booked time — which excludes the time they spend waiting for passengers or deliveries — the companies said Monday. They will also receive 30 cents for each booked mile, and be covered by occupational accident insurance for injuries that happen while on the job.

In addition, workers who log at least 15 hours a week will become eligible for subsidies for use toward health insurance come Jan. 1.

Lyft will review its drivers’ earnings and make up the difference if they got less than the guaranteed amount, the company said. The review will happen biweekly, and tips will not count toward the earnings guarantee. Health-care subsidies will be paid out quarterly, Lyft and Instacart said.

DoorDash had yet to respond to a request for details Monday, but it did say soon after Prop. 22 passed that it expected to pay out the first health-care subsidies in April 2021.

Also Monday, Gig Workers Rising announced an app for workers meant to help workers understand the benefits they are entitled to under Prop. 22. The app, which will be available Jan. 11, will also allow workers to provide information about pay and benefits that the group said will “show that the benefits offered by Prop. 22 are completely inadequate.”
Read Next
Read full story
Barron's: Tesla Stock Is Rising Ahead of Inclusion in the S&P 500. What to Watch This Week.

Shares of Tesla are going into the S&P 500 on Dec. 21. That makes this week a big deal for stock in the electric-vehicle pioneer.
More On MarketWatch

Nio’s stock falls as upsized share offering prices at a discount of more than 7%
Disney’s stock gets a downgrade as company begins the ‘hard part’ of meeting subscriber goals
Barron's: Stocks Are Selling Off Because Coronavirus Stimulus Might Not Happen After All
FDA committee to meet again Thursday for Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine

About the Author
Levi Sumagaysay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California