Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 09:51 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times

Advertisements

I hate pointing this out, but you don't have to vote on every race or proposition. It's your ballot. It's better that you educate yourself, but if you're honestly stuck you can choose not to vote on a candidate or matter and mark your ballot with only those decisions about which you're confident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 02:06 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Expecting the truth in political advertising is a bit like expecting a used car salesman to tell you the unvarnished truth....

But I am curious which four initiatives you changed your mind about and why?
If you read the voter booklet sent out, you have the facts right before you.
Locally we have measure RR, which wants to refurbish schools.
It explains what the measure will do to what some believe is necessary improvements.
Many are NOT necessary
The cost is over 7 billion dollars.
Sounds great to work on schools to make them more comfortable for students, and most will vote yes, without thinking about the cost, because the money is paid over time.
Still you can bet the state, and especially the county of Los Angeles will be raising taxes to pay this enormous amount.

On the state level, nice idea to allow 17 year olds to vote, and for a minute, I felt ok with that.
Then I thought about teens today, and how irresponsible most are, and sure as hell wouldn't want them deciding an election on any level.

Prop 22, the independent worker measure.
Was ready to vote yes on this, until I realized who was backing it, along with the fact most won't be paying taxes on their full earnings.
They will declare some, but not all.
I have worked all my life, and paid every dime I needed to in taxes, so allowing people to work without paying them, rubs me the wrong way.

And finally, the biggest lie of all is prop 23.
This prop is backed by the two large conglomerates that control the k.d. business.
They want you to believe people will die without dialysis if a clinic closes.
That is not the truth.
Truth is, if this bill passes, the state health department will be the agency to either approve, or dis approve a clinic closing, and the clinic has to provide alternative dialysis treatment somewhere else, for it's patients that will be affected by any closure.
Approval; by the state health department will not be given unless this mandate is met before a clinic is allowed to close, so no one is going to lose their treatment at all.
If one watches the ads, one is lead to believe people will be lined up at funeral homes awaiting burial, which is certainly not the case.

Again, read and understand what you are reading, and being asked to vote on.

Old 10-13-2020, 02:23 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
^ Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:50 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
If you read the voter booklet sent out, you have the facts right before you.
Locally we have measure RR, which wants to refurbish schools.
It explains what the measure will do to what some believe is necessary improvements.
Many are NOT necessary
The cost is over 7 billion dollars.
Sounds great to work on schools to make them more comfortable for students, and most will vote yes, without thinking about the cost, because the money is paid over time.
Still you can bet the state, and especially the county of Los Angeles will be raising taxes to pay this enormous amount.

On the state level, nice idea to allow 17 year olds to vote, and for a minute, I felt ok with that.
Then I thought about teens today, and how irresponsible most are, and sure as hell wouldn't want them deciding an election on any level.

Prop 22, the independent worker measure.
Was ready to vote yes on this, until I realized who was backing it, along with the fact most won't be paying taxes on their full earnings.
They will declare some, but not all.
I have worked all my life, and paid every dime I needed to in taxes, so allowing people to work without paying them, rubs me the wrong way.

And finally, the biggest lie of all is prop 23.
This prop is backed by the two large conglomerates that control the k.d. business.
They want you to believe people will die without dialysis if a clinic closes.
That is not the truth.
Truth is, if this bill passes, the state health department will be the agency to either approve, or dis approve a clinic closing, and the clinic has to provide alternative dialysis treatment somewhere else, for it's patients that will be affected by any closure.
Approval; by the state health department will not be given unless this mandate is met before a clinic is allowed to close, so no one is going to lose their treatment at all.
If one watches the ads, one is lead to believe people will be lined up at funeral homes awaiting burial, which is certainly not the case.

Again, read and understand what you are reading, and being asked to vote on.
My friend and I walked in on his 17 yr old daughter and her friends making a Tik Tok video. I’ll be voting against having 17 year olds vote.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:58 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
TV ads for prop. 15 say that it will lower taxes for small business, a absolute lie, the exact opposite it raises taxes a lot.
It only claims that small businesses would be exempt from being required to be reassessed at sale (which is actually true).

Old 10-13-2020, 04:04 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It only claims that small businesses would be exempt from being required to be reassessed at sale (which is actually true).
Yes but most small businesses, not all, pay rent and the rent will go up to pay the owners taxes.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:08 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Yes but most small businesses, not all, pay rent and the rent will go up to pay the owners taxes.
Since rent seems to go up annually, almost like clockwork I would suggest that landlords don't need a reason (other than greed) to increase rent, so since they raise it anyway, maybe it's about time we gave them a reason

Old 10-14-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Since rent seems to go up annually, almost like clockwork I would suggest that landlords don't need a reason (other than greed) to increase rent, so since they raise it anyway, maybe it's about time we gave them a reason
They will raise it a lot more. Imagine owning a building for the last 9 years and now the value is triple what it was. The taxes will go wayyyyy up and the renters will pay the price beyond a normal rent increase.

Remember, an owners costs go up every year as it is, so the tax has to go on top of that increase.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:49 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
They will raise it a lot more. Imagine owning a building for the last 9 years and now the value is triple what it was. The taxes will go wayyyyy up and the renters will pay the price beyond a normal rent increase.

Remember, an owners costs go up every year as it is, so the tax has to go on top of that increase.
They raise rent every year where I am. However, landlords in California are limited to a 5% raise plus inflation because of AB 1482.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mar...law-2019-10-08

Old 10-14-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
They raise rent every year where I am. However, landlords in California are limited to a 5% raise plus inflation because of AB 1482.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mar...law-2019-10-08
Right now. But the raise in property taxes could easily be viewed as inflation. Plus it does not seem to apply to Business rental properties and not even all Homes, Apts, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California