Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2020, 10:29 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
There have probably been more YouTube videos uploaded explaining how "everyone" is leaving California this year than there have been actual people who have moved out of the state.

If this is such an obvious, clear thing that's going on then where is the census data showing a loss? Should be pretty easy to find and post.

The Census data is there, it's been talked about. CA has lost 2+ million people net to other states since the start of the new millennium.

California's population has continued to grow (albeit at a much slower clip than before) due to continued in-migration from Asia and Latin America primarily.

That's the facts. Now since this isn't a forum primarily for people from the Philippines, India or Mexico looking to migrate to the U.S., the dominant perspective here is that of current Americans. And among current Americans CA has become a departure point rather than a destination point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 10:32 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
It is going to be a problem in every State. CA will not be immune to the problems nor will any other State nor the Feds, as tax revenue will be going wayyyy down and debt wayyy up.
Yes that’s true I should have expanded to all the states but I think Ca is in more trouble then say S Dakota for sure.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:40 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The Census data is there, it's been talked about. CA has lost 2+ million people net to other states since the start of the new millennium.

California's population has continued to grow (albeit at a much slower clip than before) due to continued in-migration from Asia and Latin America primarily.

That's the facts. Now since this isn't a forum primarily for people from the Philippines, India or Mexico looking to migrate to the U.S., the dominant perspective here is that of current Americans. And among current Americans CA has become a departure point rather than a destination point.
So in other words, there is no available data to post that indicates a population loss for the state despite endless proclamations that "everyone" is leaving it all over the internet.

Old 10-19-2020, 12:51 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
So in other words, there is no available data to post that indicates a population loss for the state despite endless proclamations that "everyone" is leaving it all over the internet.
More citizens leave than move to CA. You can find that all over the internet.

CA is still my "home".

Old 10-19-2020, 01:04 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:

Why is this a problem?

Old 10-19-2020, 01:54 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Why is this a problem?

Well when it's Pennsylvania or Michigan losing people, people say it's a sign of hard times, lack of economic opportunity etc. Why should CA be an exception to that? Clearly, there's things happening in CA that make people leave.

Surely, for everyone leaving there's at least another person who may not leave for a variety of reasons, but is also negatively affected by whatever the factors are that cause others to leave. In other words, people leaving typically is seen as an indicator of economic or social problems.

What I see a lot on this forum is the attitude of "well I'm doing fine, my nest is made, so California is just great and the rest can sod off"..

Old 10-19-2020, 02:01 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Well when it's Pennsylvania or Michigan losing people, people say it's a sign of hard times, lack of economic opportunity etc. Why should CA be an exception to that? Clearly, there's things happening in CA that make people leave.

Surely, for everyone leaving there's at least another person who may not leave for a variety of reasons, but is also negatively affected by whatever the factors are that cause others to leave. In other words, people leaving typically is seen as an indicator of economic or social problems.

What I see a lot on this forum is the attitude of "well I'm doing fine, my nest is made, so California is just great and the rest can sod off"..
When people left cities in PA and MI, entire city blocks of homes were left abandoned because no one wanted to live in them. We're talking prime areas of major cities.

If people leave and other people move in right behind them, that's just normal migration between states for the typical reasons people leave everywhere.

All the cities are growing, even inland desert cities, Olympics returning to L.A. for the third time, etc. I'm sorry but all of this "exodus" talk is just nonsense.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:03 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:

Yeah, well, when Michigan and Pennsylvania are leading the nation’s economy and growth, and running with the top 5 world economies, we can use them as comparisons. Until then, we can’t. Obviously, it’s not “hard economic times / opportunity.”

Of course there are reasons people leave. There are reasons people are leaving Illinois and New Jersey at the highest rates of the nation, too. And reasons why people move out of S. Dakota even as even more people move in there. People leave places all the time and always have.

So what?

Pilgrims left England for the New World. Last I checked England is still alive and well. 6th world economy.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:18 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Quote:
Yeah, well, when Michigan and Pennsylvania are leading the nation’s economy and growth, and running with the top 5 world economies, we can use them as comparisons. Until then, we can’t. Obviously, it’s not “hard economic times / opportunity.”

Of course there are reasons people leave. There are reasons people are leaving Illinois and New Jersey at the highest rates of the nation, too. And reasons why people move out of S. Dakota even as even more people move in there. People leave places all the time and always have.

So what?

Pilgrims left England for the New World. Last I checked England is still alive and well. 6th world economy.
The rust belt wasn't always rusty, Michigan used to be a huge driver of the national economy. I don't think CA is in danger of what happened in Michigan after the 1970s, though.

I happen to believe that income inequalities matter, and I don't think CA is doing terribly well on that front. And that doesn't bode well for the future.

What's your explanation for the 2m+ other than "people do it for a lot of reasons."?

All that said, I'm not leaving, not even thinking about it, but I understand people who are wondering about doing it.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:48 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:

So what?

After seeing the numbers yesterday of how terribly bad South Dakota's COVID-19 positivity numbers are, I'd be jet-packing myself out of there tout de suite.

38.5% positivity rate!!

(Red bold mine.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California