Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 10:16 AM

11,428 posts, read 5,973,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post

Yeah, ok.

From, "A Great Blue State Disaster: California"

https://www.adividedworld.com/econom...er-california/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 10:16 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Because asking to have a shower head that delivers 6/10ths of a gallon more per minute is equivalent to cleaning up the serious and imminent health hazard of the choking air pollution in the LA basin.

This is called "relativism" and completely destroys your argument.

Thanks for playing.
Igor, some people are just sheeple and accept whatever the state gives them and think it’s doing them a huge favor. Some things are good and beneficial, others are kind of crazy.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:23 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
With the state only owning and having control of 3% of the states forwards I would suggest that if California raked their tiny portion of forested land every day they would still be stuck with 57% of federal land and 40% of privately owned land that they have zero control over.
Hmm I found that the fed owns 47% of the land, not 57% and the rest is owned by the state and Californians. Does California not have any jurisdiction over the other 53%, even if owned by residents? It seems if they can tell the privately owned land owners what showerheads they can use, they can also tell them how the land should be managed. I remember a while back in the Tahoe area some residents wanted to clear the areas around their homes to protect against fires and the state wouldn’t let them touch it.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:43 AM

1,169 posts, read 750,306 times
Quote:

From, "A Great Blue State Disaster: California"

https://www.adividedworld.com/econom...er-california/
What does that have to do with business fleeing? So both economic output and state budget spending have increased at roughly the same pace?

Old 10-08-2020, 11:17 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
By all means leave...if we could get another 10 or 15 million people to leave the state would be much better for those of us who stay.
Depending on WHO leaves

Old 10-08-2020, 11:20 AM

6 posts, read 18,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Coming from someone who actually lived on the East Coast: good luck with that. You're gonna need it.

The problem with the west coast is politics. The problem with the East Coast is people, politics, and lousy weather.

Enjoy. Thanks for reducing traffic.
OP I get what you’re saying over all but I agree with this post. I grew up on the east coast and while I nvr had an issue with politics (I was too young to pay attention in those days) , the people and the weather actually WERE pretty lousy.

When I have friends and family visit from there they would always comment how nice people are here in SoCal. However, my SoCal friends didn’t think people here were THAT nice.... until they went to the east coast themselves lol Growing up over there people would literally come up to me and ask “why are you smiling? why are you so happy?” Umm is that a bad thing? Lol a few years ago I overheard a man on the Santa Monica pier say he’s not sure if he likes California yet bc everyone is happy and since he’s from the east coast he is not used to that (his words) LOL That’s too bad. It made me laugh though.

I took my now husband to meet my family in Pennsylvania before we got married and after the first day he asked me “Why is everyone so mad??” Hahaha

I will say I thought people in South Florida were pretty nice, though!

Good luck!!

Old 10-08-2020, 11:33 AM

1,169 posts, read 750,306 times
I think grouchiness and winter weather can be easily correlated.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:44 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curi.ous View Post
OP I get what you’re saying over all but I agree with this post. I grew up on the east coast and while I nvr had an issue with politics (I was too young to pay attention in those days) , the people and the weather actually WERE pretty lousy.

When I have friends and family visit from there they would always comment how nice people are here in SoCal. However, my SoCal friends didn’t think people here were THAT nice.... until they went to the east coast themselves lol Growing up over there people would literally come up to me and ask “why are you smiling? why are you so happy?” Umm is that a bad thing? Lol a few years ago I overheard a man on the Santa Monica pier say he’s not sure if he likes California yet bc everyone is happy and since he’s from the east coast he is not used to that (his words) LOL That’s too bad. It made me laugh though.

I took my now husband to meet my family in Pennsylvania before we got married and after the first day he asked me “Why is everyone so mad??” Hahaha

I will say I thought people in South Florida were pretty nice, though!

Good luck!!
I agree. I lived in the Midwest, the Southeast, California, overseas, and the East Coast. By far the grumpiest people were on the EC. They tell themselves they're "just being real" but the truth is just that there is a larger percentage of just plain miserable people on the EC than anywhere else I've lived. There are fun, nice people on the EC, but they're surely not the majority.

Not to say Californians don't have their foibles, but they're usually so into whatever fruitcake ideas they have that they can't wait to share them with you. They're too into themselves to go around judging other people.

Usually when I meet a jerk out here, they're either a tourist or a recent transplant.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:59 AM

396 posts, read 421,228 times
Quote:
I would add taxation and regulation to politics as things I hate about Calfornia.

You are very lucky that it affects you little or none besides just hearing about things.

As for me, I cannot even buy the shower head I want here in California, because you can't buy any shower head over 1.5 gallons per minute flow rate, and the one I want runs 2.1 gallons per minute, which is still below the Federally mandated maximum flow rate of 2.5 gallons per minutes (3.5 gpm was typical for decades).

I am not in the market for a newly constructed home, but here in Calfornia if I were, I would have no choice but to purchase solar with it, because every single new home built in California today is REQUIRED to have solar power.

With solar power, the California government is FORCING many people to purchase a product they do not want, just for the privelege of owning a newly constructed home.

You brought up the subject of guns. I don't want to go too far down that rabbit hole, but did you know that you can't even purchase a new simple 6-shot cowboy gun in Calfornia? The Colt 1873 SAA 6-shot revolver know as the "peacemaker" is illegal to purchase in the state of California. How stupid is that? You would think California would make it easy to buy low capacity revolvers that are hard to reload. Nope, not in Califronia. Patently illegal. Why? What is the sense in that?

You are very lucky if not one tax or regulation impacts you negatively.
With guns, we knew there were a lot we couldn't own. We were coming from a county in VA where one could open or conceal carry with no permit. So we were used to lax laws. All we did was look at what we *could* buy and that's when we were pleasantly surprised. We'd heard you can't own an AR which is not true. You have to have featureless or fixed mag. BUT the featureless isn't really. The gun manufacturers just change the way something is made or fixed and then it's legal. We took the fin grip off and added a pistol grip. So there are lots of ways to get around the bans (stay compliant). And that's why the gun laws are ridiculous! Besides do they think criminals look up the laws to see what's the legal way to carry their gun? lol

With other things, see this is what I mean that unless I read about it, I haven't come across it. We got new shower heads on Amazon when we moved in this rental house. I have never looked into how many gallons would come out. Had I looked I would have saw the law. So a lot of things are kind an "ignorance is bliss". Not saying it's good. Big gov't is never a good thing.

My husband is self employed but he's on a long term contract for an east coast company. He's an independent contractor. We are definitely aware of how hard it is to do business in CA. So if we had to bring a company here, we never would have.

So far the only thing we came across that we couldn't have shipped here was a certain sized gas can on Amazon. BUT we found another seller and had that same can shipped. So I don't know if can is allowed or not actually. I'm sure we'll be coming across ridiculous regulations as we go.

but we immediately noticed our quality of life with outdoors increasing. I used to have to drive 2 -3 hours to the beach. now it's less than 30 mins. Mountains were 2 hours away in VA and 12 hours away in Florida. And here they are right in my backyard. So as avid hikers we've loved being able to do what we love every weekened as opposed to a few times a year. Same with the beach.

I've noticed that CA wants to be Europe so badly. They want to be the first to make any progress whether it's good or not. Some things are good. Like in the mid 90s when CA banned smoking, the rest of country laughed and laughed. Then by the early 2000s all of the states followed suit. I've never heard any Gen Xer's complain their kids aren't breathing in smoke the way we had to in the 70s and 80s. So CA is sometimes the leader in good progress. But then other things are just over the top gestapo tactics.

I'm trying to see the positive. Because if we ended up on the east coast, sure I could have a better shower head or some other things, but I'm also stuck with days and days of rain and not able to be as active as I like. It's all a trade off.
That's what makes me crazy about this state. If the gov't would tone itself down with regulations, California would be hands down the best state in the nation. If they keep it up, we are going to need more than nice weather bringing businesses here. We figured we'd take it year by year and see how it is. I can't base my life on how it is for other people. All we can do is see how happy we are as a household. If we get to where we aren't happy, we have no problem leaving.

What I don't get is how Democrats have such a strangle hold on this state. There has to be voter fraud. It seems like everyone hates Newsome. Most people agree that there are too many regulations and the gov't is too big. So who keeps voting these guys in? The homeless? I'm not kidding. It seems like there are far more conservatives and moderates than there are hardcore liberals.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:04 PM

11,428 posts, read 5,973,383 times
West Coasters will smile to your face and then stab you in the back. East Coasters are just more direct. They will stab you square in the chest and make no bones about it. Maybe not in the South, but the rest of the East Coast. I harbor no animosity for the direct approach over the sneaky approach. At least you know exactly where you stand.

So Californians will seem more friendly but it can be really shallow or more for show. A display of friendliness but not necessarily genuine. More of a "hi get off my back" thing. East Coasters, it is more of an earned thing and then when they show they like you, it is more genuine.

There are people who make friends readily but not that deep. There are people who don't make friends readily but once they like you, they really like you and it is lasting. I find more West Coasters fit the first category with more East Coasters being the latter category, with tons of overlap of course. You can't paint everybody with that broad brush.

At least this has been my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California