Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2022, 08:19 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,099,574 times

Advertisements

I’m noticing here that people who have never left California for any length of time still love it. Those who moved away for school or work and then came back tend to be a little squeamish, unless there is an overwhelming familial draw. It’s as simple as not seeing the alternatives, and enjoying best that which is familiar. It’s understandable human nature.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:21 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
And you keep with your nonsensical "we only count the outflows" nonsense. Many of us are tired of that disingenuous and irrational argument. If the only thing happening is people are being replaced, then the number of people has not changed (and it's stupid to think with the cost of housing that high income earners are suddenly going be non-existent...unless of course you can reason how people can afford to pay over $1 million for a house in the major metropolitan areas). It's not about what I want. It's about what's actually happening and the number of people in the state, which essentially is unchanged. Yes, we'll see. No need to waste any more time with you on this as it's like talking to a wall We don't agree so agree to disagree and move on.
Who said high income earners will be non existent? You're making up things per usual.

Also no one is only counting the outflows. I'm not sure where you are getting that but thats not how tracking population data has ever worked. Seems you just dont agree with simple math but math is math. If 10 people move in but 15 move out, thats a loss of 5 people. But we know migration is not the only way population changes. Migration numbers are separate from natural increase numbers. Simply as that. International migration is positive but low now, domestic migration is negative, and more babies are born than people dying.

The result is California's population has increased very minimally or lost population on an annual basis since 2010. Real easy...

Old 07-05-2022, 09:12 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Who said high income earners will be non existent? You're making up things per usual.

Also no one is only counting the outflows. I'm not sure where you are getting that but thats not how tracking population data has ever worked. Seems you just dont agree with simple math but math is math. If 10 people move in but 15 move out, thats a loss of 5 people. But we know migration is not the only way population changes. Migration numbers are separate from natural increase numbers. Simply as that. International migration is positive but low now, domestic migration is negative, and more babies are born than people dying.

The result is California's population has increased very minimally or lost population on an annual basis since 2010. Real easy...
So what? You have joined the chorus of posters who keep harping on California losing an insignificant number of population. The state has freakin 39.5 million residents! Roughly 25% more than the next highest population state. We are over-populated in all the areas most folks want to live. Congestion on roads, parks and other common venues is stifling. Utilities and water supplies are maxed out.

And you want to suggest losing a tiny fraction is a sign of doom?

Old 07-05-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So what? You have joined the chorus of posters who keep harping on California losing an insignificant number of population. The state has freakin 39.5 million residents! Roughly 25% more than the next highest population state. We are over-populated in all the areas most folks want to live. Congestion on roads, parks and other common venues is stifling. Utilities and water supplies are maxed out.

And you want to suggest losing a tiny fraction is a sign of doom?
I never suggested the doom or the fall of California. If you can point to my post doing such, please do so. In fact, I've constantly listed reasons why CA will still thrive in threads similar to this. I'm just correcting the notion CA gains as much through inflow as it loses through outflow. That is just flat out wrong. If that were the case, the migration numbers wouldnt be negative. The reason CA is growing nowadays is due to natural increase (until the last two years).

Old 07-05-2022, 09:30 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
I never suggested the doom or the fall of California. If you can point to my post doing such, please do so. In fact, I've constantly listed reasons why CA will still thrive in threads similar to this. I'm just correcting the notion CA gains as much through inflow as it loses through outflow. That is just flat out wrong. If that were the case, the migration numbers wouldnt be negative. The reason CA is growing nowadays is due to natural increase (until the last two years).
What is your point about population then? Why does any of this meaningless minutia rate mention?

Old 07-05-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
What is your point about population then? Why does any of this meaningless minutia rate mention?
What did I just say? Scroll up

Quote:
I'm just correcting the notion CA gains as much through inflow as it loses through outflow. That is just flat out wrong. If that were the case, the migration numbers wouldnt be negative. The reason CA is growing nowadays is due to natural increase (until the last two years).
No need to take offense mutt. It's just simple data/fact. Does not mean CA is doomed forever.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:33 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Man I'm so glad my parents moved to San Diego from the PNW in 1952. They moved to the San Gabriel Valley in 1956. I got to see California at its best.

Actually, the Tongva Native Americans, a riparian tribe living in the area thousands of years ago were living in the Garden of Eden. The California Botanic Garden (formerly Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden) in Claremont has an exhibit. They used to have a whole tribal village reconstruction. It was mind-blowing. (The other names are: Gabrieleño, Gabrielino and Kizh.)

I think it should be required for new residents to witness that. They might have a new perspective on how much California has changed, and how it now suffers. Those ancient dudes and women were able to fish and hunt from the mountains all the way to the ocean, on foot.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Man I'm so glad my parents moved to San Diego from the PNW in 1952. They moved to the San Gabriel Valley in 1956. I got to see California at its best.

Actually, the Tongva Native Americans, a riparian tribe living in the area thousands of years ago were living in the Garden of Eden. The California Botanic Garden (formerly Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden) in Claremont has an exhibit. They used to have a whole tribal village reconstruction. It was mind-blowing. (The other names are: Gabrieleño, Gabrielino and Kizh.)

I think it should be required for new residents to witness that. They might have a new perspective on how much California has changed, and how it now suffers. Those ancient dudes and women were able to fish and hunt from the mountains all the way to the ocean, on foot.
I'll forever be jealous of the Tongva Natives. They had it made and IIRC, were some of the "fattest" Natives on this continent due to how plentiful the food was and how pleasant the weather still is. That might have been the true golden era.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:40 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Yep, they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

I lived in La Mesa (San Diego) when Mission Valley was a vast truck garden with Mission Valley Road running through it to the ocean. A TWO-LANE little road. With fruit and vegetable stands lining the road.

I lived in the San Gabriel Valley when there were citus orchards everywhere. Irvine - most of Orange County, in fact - was a vast orchard. I could go on and on.

I can understand why people would want to leave California, but everyone has their own pros and cons list.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:44 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oh really, well do tell us "what's going on there". You are in Arkansas a state that is on very few people's bucket list and have the audacity to crap on California? You say you lived in California but I find that odd since you don't seem to understand that the state has a huge middle class, no they don't for the most part live in San Francisco but this is a large diverse state. For all I know you got priced out of California and are resentful about having to move- that's more often than not the case with the California haters.
Cali has one of the smallest middle class populations (as a % of all) in the U.S., but Ark's middle class is even smaller:

https://www.businessinsider.com/stat...e-class-2019-4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California