Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2020, 09:34 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,232,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogen1 View Post
It sounds better than the stupid liberalism that defunds and abolishes police, encourages rioting and taxes people to oblivion. The idiotic liberal philosophy gives free healthcare to illegal aliens at the expense of real Americans.

Liberals destroy society.
Quoted for truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 11:36 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
It sounds better than the stupid liberalism that defunds and abolishes police, encourages rioting and taxes people to oblivion. The idiotic liberal philosophy gives free healthcare to illegal aliens at the expense of real Americans.

Last time I looked at Forbes list of the wealthiest, 44 of them reside in California, and they're not leaving. Why? They have the $$ to hire the best tax consultants in the country!

Old 10-29-2020, 11:53 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Last time I looked at Forbes list of the wealthiest, 44 of them reside in California, and they're not leaving. Why? They have the $$ to hire the best tax consultants in the country!
Unlike the middle class who are getting shafted every way they turn and are leaving the state in droves just to economically survive.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:02 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Where I am off to

I don't know, because the Covid shut down is not allowing me to begin my search. Somewhere in the southeast. I am thinking Tennessee or South Carolina, with Alabama as my dark horse, and Florida as my 1% chance but not holding my breath.

I want to check out Knoxville and Chattanooga in TN. Charleston area and North Myrtle Beach in SC. I am already priced out of Mount Pleasant, boo hoo. I want to check Fairhope in AL and the river areas outside of Huntsville. Jacksonville would be my check out in Florida. I just don't see myself in AL or FL though. Expecially FL.

I am still grieving Virginia going blue as I was set on retiring there, but hadn't picked a city. Virginia Beach, Williamsburg, Roanoke, and Winchester were all candidates, but once I was there I would find something I loved. Not now.

Reasons for wanting to move, more or less in order of importance.

1. Travel and Adventure - I want a new playground for travel closer to home

2. Density - there is so much more to see and do within a 10 hour drive

3. History - the east coast is just steeped in historic places to visit and things to see

4. Regulations - unreasonable to the point you can't use your chimney or buy a desired shower head, or buy a new home without solar forced on you

5. Taxes

6. Cost of living

7. Fire arms - unreasonable laws to the point you can't even buy a Colt cowboy 6-shooter

8. Politics - my vote does not count in California

9. Rain - I don't want to get soaked but 7 unbroken months without a rain drop is boring

10. Thunderstorms - I enjoy most thunderstorms and want more than 1 or 2 a year

11. Racing - there are way more auto race tracks and they are located closer together

12b Time Zone - EST is the base time zone. No more being 3 hours off.

What I will miss about California

Weather. Dry heat. Blue skies most days of the year. Yosemite. Lake Tahoe. Mexican Food. Driving on coastal highways. Laguna Seca Raceway, my favorite track for watching auto racing. Fresh fruit and vegetables. Towering Seqoia trees. Being close to Vancouver and Victoria B.C., Canada. Hating the Dodgers (I guess I can keep doing that).

Weather and Dry heat can be more or less replaced by other southern states. Blue skies most days of the year same thing with a lot of southern states. Yosemite is huge, there are plenty of smaller parks that if you were dropped in the middle you wouldn't know the difference. Lake Tahoe, there are plenty of beautiful lakes all over this country. Coastal highways, there are beautiful roads all over this country (there's a coastal road in New Port RI that would blow your damn socks off). Seca Raceway, plenty of new raceways to try. Fresh fruit, NJ is the blueberry capital of the world, you can find fresh stuff everywhere. Sequoia trees, fall in love with a new tree. Being close to vancouver, BC.. how often do you really go? Hating dodgers, can do that anywhere.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:14 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
So they took advantage of tax loopholes just like Trump did. Since you seem to admire the liberals that did this, you just admire Trump too.
I'd consider many of these billionaires incredibly selfish people, irrespective of their political stance. I don't think I'd like to hang out with the likes of Jeff Bezos, Larry Ellison, Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk, etc. Self-centered and very egotistical. I guess you really have to be callous to succeed at that level.

It makes you realize that when you see folks like Bill Gates or Warren Buffett pledge to donate their wealth for the betterment of society, it is truly rare to have incredible wealth and compassion at the same time.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:35 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I'd consider many of these billionaires incredibly selfish people, irrespective of their political stance. I don't think I'd like to hang out with the likes of Jeff Bezos, Larry Ellison, Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk, etc. Self-centered and very egotistical. I guess you really have to be callous to succeed at that level.

It makes you realize that when you see folks like Bill Gates or Warren Buffett pledge to donate their wealth for the betterment of society, it is truly rare to have incredible wealth and compassion at the same time.
I don’t really blame them. Don’t we all take advantage of tax deductions when we can? I know I do. If anyone was a billionaire I’m sure they’d do the same thing.

I can understand the charitable giving, but I can’t see anyone saying to themselves “I know I can take that deduction, but I need to pay more in taxes, so I’ll skip it.”

Old 10-29-2020, 09:26 PM

368 posts, read 366,243 times
Quote:

Could not have said it better.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:46 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
So they took advantage of tax loopholes just like Trump did. Since you seem to admire the liberals that did this, you just admire Trump too.
From what I understand, it's the Democrats who stand guard over the loopholes.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:20 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
My new home base for the next year or so is Chemnitz, a city of 250K residents in the eastern part of Germany. About 1 hour by train to Dresden or Leipzig, 2+ hours to Berlin. Very few tourists come here, almost unknown outside Germany, but a very attractive area. The surrounding terrain looks like New Hampshire or Vermont. It is very inexpensive to rent here, and I rent a fully furnished and equipped apartment for about $900 USD per month. Non-furnished apartments are abundant at about half of what I pay, but I don't want to buy furniture and set up the kitchen (which is 4 bare walls in Germany, no appliances or cabinets).

One thing really good thing in Chemnitz is the water quality and abundance. Reservoirs in the mountains just south of the city store soft, pure water from protected watersheads. The water arrives in the tap with minimal filtering and processing. Delicious and no chemical or mineral flavor. Compared to the hard water in Tucson and southern CA, it is a good change.

I'll see how the winter goes, but my plan is to stay here a year or more. Depends how the Covid situation plays out.

My husband worked there for a couple of years - commuting back and forth to the US. I went to Chemnitz with him occasionally (he would work there several weeks at a time) and thought it was charming. He always stayed at the Hotel Chemnitzer Hof and man, he loved that place. They treated him so, so well. Dinner is served under a cloche - what a fun throwback. You need to eat there, if you haven't already.

I hope you enjoy the Christmas market. I have several fun things from there - a whole collection of mugs from drinking Glühwein in the square, tree ornaments and beautiful pyramids.

It really is a lovely place. I hope to go back.

Old 10-30-2020, 02:46 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post

Ellison and Zuckerberg have both signed The Giving Pledge, as has Bezos’ ex-wife (the mother of his children).

https://www.givingpledge.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California