Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 11:17 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times

Advertisements

I love the people in northern Minnesota/Fargo ND area and Laramie, WY too, but I couldn't live in those areas full time. The lifestyle is just too harsh.

My current plan is a place in Utah, still debating the pros/cons of living in Park City vs a South Jordan/Sandy area. My other home will be in Hawaii. The big decision there is do I stay on Kauai or buy in Oahu? I'll probably start on Kauai for a year and see how it is. I fear to it may be too small and limited full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 11:27 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,054,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Ha, thx. Only snow I “shovel” is the porch. And then it’s so dry, I just sweep it off like dust. Done in less than a minute. No problem driving, I’ve got a couple 4x4’s to get around and I live out in the bush on a dirt road, so no icy roads to deal with like in town. And since I’m retired, I don’t have to be anywhere. And good luck to the kids that bought my old place, enjoy that $500 a month property tax that goes up 2% a year......FOREVER...

Incorrect. Property taxes can (and often are) subject to being re-assessed.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:38 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo-November View Post
Not leaving California. In fact, housing is hard to find in my small CA town, and homes are selling quickly. I'm happy for people who find happiness outside of CA. We could stand the elbow room! Best of luck!
Unfortunately, the folks that are leaving California are indeed taxpayers. The homeless will not leave as well as the people that are on the State Dole.

Taxpayers leaving do lower the population but not near enough to bring it down to a more sustainable 20 million or so.

Yes, California still has some positive things going for it. But, are they enough to stay and endure the negatives? That is the real core question and it comes down to your personal quality of life. I have known quite a few young people, in my own family that have left to buy a house and start a family. Their relocation states are Mississippi, Idaho, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Colorado and Texas. In all of those places, they can afford a home. And, the lack of congestion and a sense of freedom draws them out of tax-heavy California.

I am happy that they can find their own path!

Old 10-21-2020, 02:38 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
We're not going anywhere. Good luck to those who move.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:43 PM

416 posts, read 408,997 times
Headed to SW Florida. Not my first choice but family nearby and that’s important for everyone.

Can’t wait to boat and goof off in warm water. The sky is blue and the clouds are white. After years of fires and other BS events looking forward to a simple life.

Cost of living and lack of state income tax are welcome. Politics are odd in Florida but it gets a bad wrap in a lot of ways. Was just down visiting and people were chill/friendly/normal. Guess it depends where you are exactly.

Getting a 7k sq ft house with a ton more features (including a dock & gulf access) for about $500k less then what our house in CA will sell for.

Cold beer and sunshine here i come!

Old 10-21-2020, 03:15 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,152,668 times
Just be aware that you have "flesh-eating" vibrio bacteria in those warm Gulf waters. Cockroaches that squish out both sides of your shoes when you step on them. Hurricanes, excessive heat and humidity, and (drumroll.....) Florida Man!

Old 10-21-2020, 04:04 PM

925 posts, read 1,065,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster24 View Post
Just be aware that you have "flesh-eating" vibrio bacteria in those warm Gulf waters. Cockroaches that squish out both sides of your shoes when you step on them. Hurricanes, excessive heat and humidity, and (drumroll.....) Florida Man!
You could not pay me enough to live in FL. Even the winters seem damp and humid to me. The summers are horrible. There is a reason things are cheaper there.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:17 PM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Headed to SW Florida. Not my first choice but family nearby and that’s important for everyone.

Can’t wait to boat and goof off in warm water. The sky is blue and the clouds are white. After years of fires and other BS events looking forward to a simple life.

Cost of living and lack of state income tax are welcome. Politics are odd in Florida but it gets a bad wrap in a lot of ways. Was just down visiting and people were chill/friendly/normal. Guess it depends where you are exactly.

Getting a 7k sq ft house with a ton more features (including a dock & gulf access) for about $500k less then what our house in CA will sell for.

Cold beer and sunshine here i come!
What does hurricane wind and flood damage come to on a 7k house in Florida? Ballpark.

Jacksonville FL is a dark horse possiblity for my move, but to live on the coast, I see wind and flood insurance as being really prohibitive and the costs seem to keep going up. Do I have that wrong?. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:18 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster24 View Post
Bacteria is primarily a Gulf issue, kinda like the closed beaches in SD due to pollution from Mexico.

I have been to FL many times, owned property there and have family there and never seen a cockroach.

No hurricanes on over 16 years where family live.

Yes humid but if you live close to the beach not a big deal and on the beach the wind makes it a non issue. Been there every season.

Most problems are in Southern FL and central and North not so much, except inland with humidity.

Beautiful warm beaches and kids love them because very shallow and low waves in many areas, unlike So California.

Mind you I still prefer CA, but many post silly comments about FL. Kinda like saying CA as a State is like Barstow.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:43 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Ha, thx. Only snow I “shovel” is the porch. And then it’s so dry, I just sweep it off like dust. Done in less than a minute. No problem driving, I’ve got a couple 4x4’s to get around and I live out in the bush on a dirt road, so no icy roads to deal with like in town. And since I’m retired, I don’t have to be anywhere. And good luck to the kids that bought my old place, enjoy that $500 a monthproperty tax that goes up 2% a year......FOREVER...
Hey, that's not bad...

(Still waiting to hear about your KTM and any mods....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California