Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2020, 09:58 AM

29 posts, read 32,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
FL also harbors tropical parasites. A friend of mine who lived there for years became infested with them, and couldn't find a doctor to help her in 20 years of searching, after moving away. By that time, they'd done serious damage to her health, so no doctor would even try to figure out how to treat the complex case. She did eventually find an alternative health practitioner, who took care of her.

So there are hidden hazards. Not to mention the alligators.
Aren’t you arguing the exception? But more importantly, you do realize that California has its own share of parasites, do you not? California has the most cases of neurocysticercosis, a brain-infecting parasite that can cause paralysis, loss of limbs, and far more sinister things I don’t care to get into, because cherry-picking factors that do not affect the overwhelming vast majority of a population is invalid and misleading. Anecdotal evidence is some of the weakest arguments to be made.

It seems as if you’re simply falling victim to stereotypes. Alligators, really? Are California bears a threat too? I’m sorry, but this sounds so silly and ignorant lol. Just like parasites, most people in Florida have never even seen an alligator in person, much less encountered them in the wild. That would be like someone hearing that California has by far the largest population of unsheltered homeless and concluding that the entire state is swarming with vagrants, when in reality, it’s just a few large cities. Or someone hearing that the state has fires and earthquakes and believing the entire state suffers through this daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 10:10 AM

29 posts, read 32,632 times
Can I just make one thing clear? The state of California is awesome. If I was filthy rich, it’s easily where I would hang my hat. I’ve been lurking enough to know that you get branded in the California forum if deemed to be a threat for speaking out against it (which doesn’t happen in the Texas, Florida, North Carolina, or New York forums I also lurk in). So I’m not interested in making enemies.

But it is possible to like California without denigrating other places as well. It doesn’t have to be an either/or situation. Most posters don’t do this, but the usual suspects whom will not be named are already showing their true color: insecurity.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:29 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Funny I’m reading this whole thread and SW FL is brought up. I’ve lived in SWFL (specifically Naples) now for 5 1/2 years and have been thinking about making a move to South Lake Tahoe.
If you move to Lake Tahoe, be sure you live on the Nevada side of the lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
FL also harbors tropical parasites. A friend of mine who lived there for years became infested with them, and couldn't find a doctor to help her in 20 years of searching, after moving away. By that time, they'd done serious damage to her health, so no doctor would even try to figure out how to treat the complex case. She did eventually find an alternative health practitioner, who took care of her.
Right.

FL has all these "tropical parasites", yet apparently NOT A SINGLE DOCTOR exists in FL to deal with them, since your friend spent TWENTY YEARS looking.

Think I'll head down to Ye Olde **** & Bull for a Guinness.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:54 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTwoThree View Post
I still have family in California who in every conversation with me lament about how California is a shell of its former self. California used to be so incredible, they say, but now it’s ruined. .
Some people have been saying that for decades, though; certainly since the late 1960s when I was old enough to pay attention.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:22 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Your family is right. It's definitely changed and not for the better. Too bad you never got the opportunity see that but can't fault you for that since you're still young. I hope young people like you will turn things around in the future. Otherwise ... well.
Remember Burt Lancaster in that movie? 'I remember the Atlantic Ocean. The Atlantic Ocean really used to be something!"

Old 10-22-2020, 02:35 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
If you move to Lake Tahoe, be sure you live on the Nevada side of the lake.

Right.

FL has all these "tropical parasites", yet apparently NOT A SINGLE DOCTOR exists in FL to deal with them, since your friend spent TWENTY YEARS looking.

Think I'll head down to Ye Olde **** & Bull for a Guinness.
Is it because of the taxes?

Old 10-22-2020, 02:46 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Remember Burt Lancaster in that movie? 'I remember the Atlantic Ocean. The Atlantic Ocean really used to be something!"
I do. Great flick brimming with metaphors. Reminds me of another good line from a different movie (the title escapes me at the moment), regarding a Monet painting; about it being beautiful from afar but when you look at it up close, it's just a big mess.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:18 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Is it because of the taxes?
Taxes and a decidedly different outlook on life.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:30 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I do. Great flick brimming with metaphors. Reminds me of another good line from a different movie (the title escapes me at the moment), regarding a Monet painting; about it being beautiful from afar but when you look at it up close, it's just a big mess.
That was the movie "Clueless", with actress Alicia Silverstone saying that exact line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530
I was a lifer in California. Finally was able to retire last year at 59. Sold my little house on an acre along the central coast. Move to the upper Midwest, paid cash for a farm and still was able to put away a six figure nest egg making 3% annually in a local bank. I’m now 100% debt free with an awesome government pension. Now that I’ve lived here a year and a half. Survived sub zero winter, hot, humid, buggy summer. I can say it was the BEST move I’ve ever done. One word describes the contrast with California and the Dakotas.........FREEDOM!
California is full of busy bodies concerned about what I do and want me to pay them in the form of taxes and fees or literally beg and steal from me or want to arrest me for exercising my 2nd Amendment rights.
Another conservative who doesn't want to pay taxes, yet made their money off of taxpayers. Hypocrisy is an awesome sight to behold!

Old 10-22-2020, 04:40 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Taxes and a decidedly different outlook on life.
I mean I can see taxes being a noticeable difference because of some imaginary man mad line, but outlook on life too??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California