Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 11:23 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

There are some locales like Las Vegas that are very close to SoCal and many people are moving there to get the best of both worlds - NV has no state taxes and a low COL and you also get to be within driving distance of SoCal if you choose to visit.

The Vegas sprawl is a real turnoff. If we were going to leave California but try to remain within visiting distance, Vegas would be way down on my list. Might as well just take the warts of California at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 11:30 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Thirty-year-old models today (so, 1990) are for the most part still technologically relevant and could be daily drivers. An actual mileage exemption would be a good compromise though, especially if it was just to occasionally move it. I agree with that. Although the counterargument might be that the DMV issues temporary registration to do just that.

Also, it looks like there was even more legislation that failed in 2011 to move the hard cutoff from 1976 to 1981. That would've helped you with your BMW, although I'm almost positive yours was a gray market import if it didn't have a cat. Europe didn't catch up with our federal emission scheme for awhile. Even the last few years of VWs (which were notoriously tough to smog) had cats, etc. for the U.S. market.

Hah. Yeah, but California....
Sold new in California and is one of the "Notch" kids... just a Thermactor Air Injection System for CA... and the 76 2002 is the last of the series...

Trip permits were awesome but with Covid I know people still trying to get driver's licenses and/or Real ID...

Interacting with government agencies is challenging like never before in 2020...

My neighbor ordered and paid for a Vanity Plate for her vehicle and needed an appointment to pick it up... she kept getting re-directed but her plate was sitting at the Oakland DMV.

She wrote a letter to DMV and they made an exception and mailed it to her after months of waiting.

The goal of many officials is curtailing internal combustion and some have gone on record as preferring a Japan style system where the registration increases as the vehicle gets older...

I've looked into an occupational license but right now the delays are horrendous...

For what it's worth my daily driver is a 2011 Corolla S... just turned 50k miles...

Vehicles seldom driven and maybe not even out of the garage an entire year are not the problem... 2020 is just such a year... all car events I participate are cancelled... the big and small ones alike... not one of my cars has been out in 2020 except the Toyota...

Old 11-22-2020, 03:42 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Sold new in California and is one of the "Notch" kids... just a Thermactor Air Injection System for CA... and the 76 2002 is the last of the series...

Trip permits were awesome but with Covid I know people still trying to get driver's licenses and/or Real ID...

Interacting with government agencies is challenging like never before in 2020...

My neighbor ordered and paid for a Vanity Plate for her vehicle and needed an appointment to pick it up... she kept getting re-directed but her plate was sitting at the Oakland DMV.

She wrote a letter to DMV and they made an exception and mailed it to her after months of waiting.

The goal of many officials is curtailing internal combustion and some have gone on record as preferring a Japan style system where the registration increases as the vehicle gets older...

I've looked into an occupational license but right now the delays are horrendous...

For what it's worth my daily driver is a 2011 Corolla S... just turned 50k miles...

Vehicles seldom driven and maybe not even out of the garage an entire year are not the problem... 2020 is just such a year... all car events I participate are cancelled... the big and small ones alike... not one of my cars has been out in 2020 except the Toyota...
The Japanese system is due to a much smaller population and fewer miles driven in such a small country so less new car sales. This forces the people to buy new cars even when their "old" car is in excellent shape.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:55 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
My 85 olds failed the bi annual smog test yesterday. The smog tech thinks its the cat & O2 sensor. He says carb is fine. I am going through the CAP program so when i get the approval letter & drop car off at SB smog shop ill know more when he does the diagnosis. I did pass the visual & low RPM but failed the 25 mph RPM.I am hoping i get a cat out of this. Unfortunately because the shop is so busy with few employees the wait time will be approx 3 weeks.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:38 PM

A CAT can make a big difference and I've seen older American V8 not pass and add CAT no problem passing.

Old 11-26-2020, 02:09 PM

732 posts, read 390,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
We went through this already. Up until the mid/late-nineties, the exemption was a hard cutoff for model years 1965 and older.
and what a pain that used to be. Nearly every car I've ever owned came from the factory with a solid lifter cam and a Holley carburetor and passing emissions at idle was always an all-afternoon affair.

One concept I was considering was buying a pre-1997 diesel car and swapping in gasoline V8. What the world needs is a 1987 diesel Regal with an LS6.

Last edited by StrawberrySoup; 11-26-2020 at 02:23 PM..

Old 11-26-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A CAT can make a big difference and I've seen older American V8 not pass and add CAT no problem passing.
Wouldn't a catalytic converter be quickly destroyed on a non-FI car?

Old 11-26-2020, 02:37 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Wouldn't a catalytic converter be quickly destroyed on a non-FI car?
They were originally used on cars with carbs as well.

Old 11-26-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
They were originally used on cars with carbs as well.
OK, I should have been more clear.

What is the result of putting a catalytic converter on an older carb'ed car without air injection, 1975-era ignition timing, super lean mixtures, low compression, and all the other craziness of a mid-1970's car?

Old 11-26-2020, 10:48 PM

The BMW has air injection...

Not sure... either keep it and relocate or sell out of state.

Still have not ruled out occupational plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California