U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:13 PM

2,511 posts, read 5,527,342 times

Advertisements

Portions of the central and southern Sacramento Valley were seasonally flooded, except the low areas adjacent to the Sacramento River from south of Sacramento.

In the San Joaquin Valley, areas adjacent to the San Joaquin River were wetlands, in addition to the Tulare Lake Basin.

These areas made up a very small area of the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys. The widest area of these wetlands was in Merced County from just east of Los Banos to an area close to CA-59. About 10 or 11 miles in width. Hardly "most" of the Central Valley. The width of the San Joaquin Valley at this point is around 55-60 miles. And while it was a seasonally navigable waterway up to a place called Sycamore (near Herndon Ave and 99), most of it was made up of isolated marshes and peat bogs where there was year-round. This area is about 150 ft lower in elevation than the cities along 99.

The former area of wetlands is readily visible on Google Earth, starting from Mendota in the south.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 02:24 AM

9,866 posts, read 19,731,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Every county fully visible in this map is Southern California.

Its irksome to see maps that actually claim San Jose, Monterey and Yosemite as part SoCal....as if.
When i lived in monterey & salinas everyone local said it was northern ca. Its stupid that monterey county & yosemite is considered so.ca. Any county santa barbara & below & east should only be so.ca.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:46 PM

2,511 posts, read 5,527,342 times
Referring to Monterey and Salinas as being in Northern California is a bit of a stretch. I've never heard of it referred to anything other than the Central Coast. Furthermore, they are about as far north as Fresno.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:19 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,494,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Referring to Monterey and Salinas as being in Northern California is a bit of a stretch. I've never heard of it referred to anything other than the Central Coast. Furthermore, they are about as far north as Fresno.
I've heard Fresno, salinas and Monterey all referred to as "Nor Cal"....i lived in Marina (right in between salinas and monterey) for a while, and plenty of people seemed to consider the area as part of Nor cal, in addition to it being part of the Central Coast. I definitely saw a lot of Giant's, A's, 49ers and Raiders hats/stickers/jackets/jerseys/etc around there. As far as Fresno, to me it seems to be right near the edge of Nor Cal...technically a part of it when going by the Norcal/Socal border of the San Luis Obispo, Kern and San Bernardino county lines, but still somewhat debatable apparently. One thing to note is that the Fresno MSA actually borders the Bay Area/San Jose MSA (Fresno and San Benito counties border each other).

Personally i think of CA as having more than just Northern and Southern california. The central valley for example is it's own region, which is mostly, but not completely part of Nor Cal. Parts are definitely part of NorCal, and are also very connected to the Bay Area (san Joaqin, sacramento Counties), and other parts not so connected to the Bay but still part of Nor Cal(such as Fresno), while other parts could be argued as being a part of So Cal instead (such as Bakersfield). When it comes to the central coast, i see a similar thing going on....San Luis Obispo always seemed to lean towards the So Cal side IMO, where as Monterey, Salinas, etc, has always seemed to lean towards the Bay Area/Nor Cal side of things, which makes sense as half of the Monterey Bay Area is technically a part of the SF Bay Area (everything within Santa Cruz and San Benito counties...even news from Salinas, Monterey, etc, which are not technically part of the bay Area, is pretty regularly covered by Bay Area news outlets). Far northern California is very different as well from say the "Bay Area version" of Northern california (yes, i know some of you from way up there consider us blasphemous ass hats down here for saying we're from Nor cal, but what are you gonna do? We still outnumber you about 500 to 1 ).

Old 06-03-2010, 03:22 PM

75 posts, read 526,940 times
This is where you can tell which part is North and South.

Northerners use the word "hella" and "hecka" 10,000 times a day.

Southerners never use such terms.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:38 AM

9,866 posts, read 19,731,773 times
The weather alone is so different. Its like ca has 2 climates. N.ca is cooler & wetter.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 7,703 times
It's tough to divide the state into halves because there is also a distinct central California that is distinguished in climate and subculture (Along the coast) from the north and the south.

For me the southern part of the state ends when historic native (Significant Wild forests) of California redwoods end - Monterey county. Conveniently there is a straight horizontal line of latitude separating the counties in California there as well that runs from the border of Monterey county and San Louis Obispo county east to the Nevada border.

There IS a central California as well, however, and it runs north from southern Monterey county to the border of Mendocino and Sonoma Counties, then east - Lake county in Northern CA with Napa in the Central area; the northern borders of Solano, Sacramento, Amador and Alpine finish off the northern boundary of Central California in my mind. (Note how many counties have a share of coastline on the bay of San Francisco/San Pablo)

But if you MUST divide the state into a northern and southern area, use the line from west to east that starts at the border of Monterey and San Louis Obispo counties.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 10,091 times
I have lived in California for 50 years and as far as I am concerned the southern part begins at Chico!

Old 03-10-2014, 12:27 AM

3,382 posts, read 5,301,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyDavey View Post
I have lived in California for 50 years and as far as I am concerned the southern part begins at Chico!
You'd be in the extreme minority.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:28 AM

5,431 posts, read 5,861,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyDavey View Post
Problem with that is a lot more Californians self-identify themselves as "Northern Californians" as far south as Santa Cruz and Modesto which would include the whole Bay Area and the Sacramento Metro.

So, people in Santa Rosa, South Lake Tahoe, Grass Valley and Sacramento are Southern Californians?...I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California