U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 01:29 PM

1,687 posts, read 5,564,769 times

Advertisements

Although for transportation funding purposes, the state legislature has agreed that the dividing line is north of Bakersfield at the Kern/Tulare County boundary.

Traditionally the state has doled out 60% of transportation funding south of that line and 40% to the north.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 11:00 PM

6 posts, read 34,957 times
Default west coast is real California, and a Sports Cars

:d
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
i would consider anything north of monterey, fresno, inyo, and san benito county northern california. But, i think south, central, and north california is more correct.

Anything north of ventura county, la county, and the yucca valley part of san bernandino county is central to monterey, san benito, madera, fresno, and inyo county is central. Anything south of that is south, and anything north is north.

There is no defined-south, central, or north
Attached Thumbnails
Where does Northern California end and Southern California begin?-478crt.diamond.jpg   Where does Northern California end and Southern California begin?-animatedherb.gif   Where does Northern California end and Southern California begin?-barackbama-com.jpg   Where does Northern California end and Southern California begin?-beans-sleeping.jpg   Where does Northern California end and Southern California begin?-bozodeclone.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by BuzzinHeart; 10-05-2008 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: I think San Jose starts Northern California

Old 11-11-2008, 08:05 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,418 posts, read 9,121,127 times
"Northern California" is often used to describe whatever is considered "not SoCal", but it's really more accurately the locale of folks who live in that large swath of the state that lies from an hour or so north of Sacramento all the way to the Oregon border. It's a huge area, over a third of the state, but with none of the large metropolitan areas usually associated with Northern and Southern California.

And it's this mostly isolated "rural" quality that sets it apart for the folks who live there, so that Sacramento and the Bay area are actually considered apart from "NorCal". Yet even here on C-D, there are no forums for anywhere north of Sacramento.

Northern, Central and Southern California might be more accurate divisions, at least in terms of local "culture", "identity" and "state-of-mind".

Old 11-12-2008, 03:32 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,747,050 times
I tend to agree that this isn't cut 'n' dried. But if I had to pick "cities" to use as borders, I'd say that NorCal ends at Hollister (Pacheco Pass) and SoCal begins at the Grapevine (I almost said Bakersfield, as it's pretty doggone right at the transition).

Old 11-13-2008, 12:20 AM

16,276 posts, read 28,779,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
If you wear Birkenstocks you're in Northern California. If you wear flip-flops you're in Southern California.
Member the good old days when we called flip flops "thongs"?

Aren't Birkenstocks also warn by women that voted against Prop 8?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:29 AM

16,276 posts, read 28,779,938 times
Growing up in the state and living here most of my life, many consider anything South of Santa Barbara Southern California, meaning Ventura County to the south of Santa Barbara. And others consider Santa Barbara as part of Southern California. Still others think that if you live in Santa Barbara you are more alligned with the Northern Part of the state. Kern County on the other hand would be more Central California. If you really want to devide the state up lets split it into three parts, Northern, Southern, and Central. If you are still inclined to split the state in two, then anything North of Kern County, Santa Barbara County is Northern California, And From Kern and Santa Barbara County South is Southern California. I would bet that if you were in Bakersfield the people there are more allighned with LA than points North. Many of them work in LA and make the drive back and forth to Home in Bakersfield.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:32 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,418 posts, read 9,121,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Aren't Birkenstocks also warn by women that voted against Prop 8?
Yeah, that and they know how to spell.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:07 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,255,526 times
I don't know. But where I live, which is technically socal if you cut the state in 1/2, the people would never claim to be southern CA. To me, socal starts south of Santa Barbara

Old 11-16-2008, 04:17 PM

3,469 posts, read 7,486,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie4 View Post
I live in San Luis Obispo county and we are considered southern california. the next county north is Monterey County and that is the beginning of northern california. At least is what Disneyland had to say one time. There was a special on ticket pricing and you had to live in southern california. And that is the boundary I was told.

But personally, I like to consider my county as the Central Coast.
I consider that central coast too. Once you go north of Ventura, it just doesn't feel like "SoCal" anymore.
When I was a kid, we'd go to San Luis Obispo and it had a totally different vibe. Santa Barbara feels like Central Cali also.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:34 AM

2,879 posts, read 10,314,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I consider that central coast too. Once you go north of Ventura, it just doesn't feel like "SoCal" anymore.
When I was a kid, we'd go to San Luis Obispo and it had a totally different vibe. Santa Barbara feels like Central Cali also.
I'd say that in many ways once you get north of the Conejo Grade it doesn't "feel" like Southern CA any more. With the fields, open views and 20-30 degree drop in temperature, it certainly ceases to feel like LA/OC/IE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California