U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 07:01 PM

97 posts, read 547,764 times

Advertisements

Having lived in No Cal and So Cal for 9 and 51 years respectively, it seems to me that the dividing line is where people from SF and LA go to retire. Take San Luis Obispo, for example, it's full of LA retiree's. Hard to find any from SF. I just came home from a trip to Big Sur and found it full of SF people. Monterey County (at least the desireable places) is full of Bay Area retirees. The Central Valley is up for grabs but if you look over at the Sierra foothills, you'll find Lake Isabella and Tehachapi full of LA people while Mariposa and Sonora are full of SF'ers.

So, in addition to my earlier post about Unocal giving away Dodger and Giant pins, my conclusion is confirmed that the dividing line is: PASO ROBLES.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 09:48 PM

12,824 posts, read 21,544,573 times
Default Giants/As vs Dodgers/Angels

When you go over Gaviota Summit, heading north, "Go Dodger Blue" starts to immediately fade away. Also, whereas, SB and points East / South all have access to LA TV, north of the Santa Ynez Mtns they don't. Also, I've noticed that in Southern SB County you see the Slimes in newspaper machines at restaurants, whereas the Comical starts popping up in Buellton. Furthermore ... many species of plants have their northern or southern limits near Pt. Conception. So, along the coast, Pt Conception is a fairly natural boundary pt. Where it gets tough is inland. Not too many Giants fans in Bakersfield ... in Fresno, a few more ... in Modesto, many.

Agree with the strange notion that the LA sphere of influence extends well up the Owens Valley ... go to Mammoth and it's obvious.

Interestingly ... in the book "The Nine Nations of North America" include, in "Mexamerica" (a SWern multi state "nation") only coastal regions south of Pt. Conception, but all of the San Joaquin Valley (clear up to Sacto), but leave out the High Sierra, Owens Valley, Mojave, etc (those are part of "The Empty Quarter"). Everything north of Mexamerica and west of the Empty Quarter is part of "Ecotopia" according to that scheme.

Bottom line - In my book the border starts at Pt Conception, goes along the Santa Ynez Crest, diagonals across the arid high plans of NE SB and SE SLO counties, follows the Temblor Range, cuts across the San Joaquin Valley between Bakersfield and Visalia, proceeds to the Sierra Crest, north to just north of Mammoth, across the area north of Crowley Lake, follows the White Mtn crest south, zigs over to take in Death Valley, then ends at the NV border. Everything north of that border is Nor Cal and everything south of it is So Cal.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:41 PM

7 posts, read 34,138 times
i have lived most of my life in ca.
if they are talking deviding it, it should really be devided into thirds.
northern, central, and southern.
i have always lived in northern ca.
where all the redwoods grow.
i hated the add that they had on tv a couple years ago, about the program on pelican bay prison, stated that it was 300 something miles from civilasation.
eureka, and cresent city, are nice little towns, that was a slur against US TRUE NORTHERN CA. PEOPLE
i think northern ca starts at san fransisco.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 PM

14,531 posts, read 17,000,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannypeggy9 View Post
i have lived most of my life in ca.
if they are talking deviding it, it should really be devided into thirds.
northern, central, and southern.
i have always lived in northern ca.
where all the redwoods grow.
i hated the add that they had on tv a couple years ago, about the program on pelican bay prison, stated that it was 300 something miles from civilasation.
eureka, and cresent city, are nice little towns, that was a slur against US TRUE NORTHERN CA. PEOPLE
i think northern ca starts at san fransisco.
Whoossshhhhh!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:11 PM

81 posts, read 269,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedrick View Post
On the 99 freeway in Madera, there is a palm tree and a redwood tree in the center median. Palm south / redwood north. That is the actual north/south line.
Never knew about this! I guess this is it?

Google Maps

Old 05-02-2009, 11:18 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,775,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc251dc View Post
Never knew about this! I guess this is it?

Google Maps
lol, awesome.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:07 PM

2,966 posts, read 4,901,948 times
I remember a letter to the editor in the SF Chronicle a few years ago. The writer said among other things that Santa Barbara really, by rights, belongs to Northern California. I identified the attitude immediately, and it reflects as well how they feel about San Jose: San Franciscans just love to claim all the pretty, charming parts of the state to associate with. LOL.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:35 PM

81 posts, read 269,773 times
Can you negative rep people?

Old 05-21-2009, 04:48 PM

9,962 posts, read 16,859,045 times
Drive North on 5, SoCal ends when you stop seeing people like this

(I am sure someone will follow up with a NorCal generalization...)

Last edited by Mach50; 05-21-2009 at 05:02 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 05:42 PM

12,824 posts, read 21,544,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Drive North on 5, SoCal ends when you stop seeing people like this

(I am sure someone will follow up with a NorCal generalization...)
So I guess So Cal therefore ends somewhere up around Dawson City, YK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California