Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 12:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Bakersfield was in my suggestions, but I hesitated due to her concern over good air quality. Tehachapi is an option, and is near Bakersfield, but has much better air quality.

Tehachapi folks have the advantage of going to either Palmdale/Lancaster or Bakersfield for goods and services. The issue I have with Tehachapi is that it is far too rural for me. Some people like that, but I prefer to be close to everything I need.
Tehachapi are quality is better than Bakersfield for sure but ...

You can check any cities air quality on City Data, see the link below.. Tehachapi's crime level is high too about the same as Bakersfield.

Tehachapi City: 93.6 U.S.: 74.2

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Tehachapi-California.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 09:04 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times
San Joaquin Valley can get chilly in the Winter.

Might want to keep looking if cold rain/snow isn't your forte.

Your budget is going to be problematic. (Unless you move to Salton City!)

Old 12-16-2020, 09:17 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,005,605 times
coldest low in the ten day forecast (per google)

Oakhurst - 30
Placerville - 39
Tehachipi - 27
Slc - 15
Reno - 21
Boise - 20

Lower foothills seem warm enough to me

Old 12-16-2020, 09:28 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
I 1000% agree with this. You could just as well add any other of the Central Valley cities too. Most places in CA with people in them are going to have at least somewhat of an air quality problem.

Sacramento might be too expensive.
Placerville could work, though. It could be within commute distance of Sac, depending on traffic, and work location around Sac. I think Placerville is a great idea.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:30 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
300 grand won't get you living anywhere near a large urban center with jobs in IT. Not in CA anyway.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:12 AM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Just reviewing the OP's list, with the exception of #3 and #4, she could go practically anywhere in the state.....in 1978.

But, as of now? Not realistic.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:29 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,054,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
Maybe try Santa Maria.

Not a bad suggestion, but housing prices would be out of OP's range...

Old 12-17-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Tehachapi are quality is better than Bakersfield for sure but ...

You can check any cities air quality on City Data, see the link below.. Tehachapi's crime level is high too about the same as Bakersfield.

Tehachapi City: 93.6 U.S.: 74.2

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Tehachapi-California.html

Interesting (and surprising)!

The crime rate here in Palmdale is significantly lower than Tehachapi:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Palmdale-California.html

I've never really felt unsafe here. We have a couple "sketchy" areas but everyone knows where they are and there's no need to go into them if you don't live there or have any business there. One of those areas is where Gabriel Fernandez was killed -- it's an area with lower-income apartments that most of the rest of the town avoids. Our Los Angeles County Sheriff does a great job of patrolling and the city is pro-active about engaging residents in prevention measures. A lot of law enforcement live around here, too, which also helps.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Just reviewing the OP's list, with the exception of #3 and #4, she could go practically anywhere in the state.....in 1978.

But, as of now? Not realistic.

Wages were much, much lower in 1978 too. So, not as realistic as you think. Yes, houses in Laguna Beach were in range of $150k back then, but minimum wage in California was what....$5.00/hour ??? If that? A "top earner" in those years made something like $55k/year and was considered a "baller" back then.

I've known people that have left Palmdale and moved out of state. Then they want to come back after a few years and have to live in a more remote community on the periphery. Several church families I've known moved to Tennessee or Texas and did a U-turn after a couple years. It happens. Luckily, their jobs let them come back.

This actually happened to my niece who moved with her husband and three kids to Washington state. Five years ago, they sold their home in Quartz Hill, moved up to the Seattle area. When they got there, they realized it wasn't for them and wanted to come back. Her husband and her were lucky enough to get their former jobs back. They've tried to find a home in Quartz Hill again, but couldn't, as prices jumped during their absence. So they settled on a nice property in Rosamond, about 10 miles up the road in Kern County where things are significantly more affordable. They're happy and glad to be "home" (their exact words) again. I'm happy they're back too.

My nephew moved to Post Falls, Idaho from Castaic on the advice of a friend two years ago. He, his wife and two children. Being Latino and politically moderate, they were shocked by the racism and backwardness of the overall culture they experienced (subtle and not-so-subtle) there and came back to California. They live in Tehachapi now and are happy. Kern County is sort of like a landing pad for people who leave California and then come back. At least that's been the case for my family.

Last edited by apple92680; 12-17-2020 at 01:03 PM..

Old 12-17-2020, 01:51 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Interesting (and surprising)!

The crime rate here in Palmdale is significantly lower than Tehachapi:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Palmdale-California.html

I've never really felt unsafe here. We have a couple "sketchy" areas but everyone knows where they are and there's no need to go into them if you don't live there or have any business there. One of those areas is where Gabriel Fernandez was killed -- it's an area with lower-income apartments that most of the rest of the town avoids. Our Los Angeles County Sheriff does a great job of patrolling and the city is pro-active about engaging residents in prevention measures. A lot of law enforcement live around here, too, which also helps.
Crime rates never apply to all neighborhoods. So it is not surprising you never had any problems. Sketchy areas are everywhere so one just needs to learn where those are. A good way is to sue "Trulia and check the crime map they have. It is helpful as in even areas with some crime it is usually a car break in or similar, not a killing or assault.

For Palmdale I just looked up one house and then checked the crime map a bit below the initial page for the home. If you scroll back you see more info and can scroll in on specific areas and check what the crimes were. They will be current.

https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/palmdale...4#lil-crimeTab
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California