Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2021, 10:42 AM

26,653 posts, read 26,614,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
When all is said and done I just want to live where people respect one another and pick up after themselves and where being a porch pirate isn't a viable career choice.

Another of my friends is boarding up his business... while Covid cut his revenue by 60% it's the weekly break-ins with trash dumping poisoning his soul... he was holding on hoping for better times but Prop 19 is the final nail in the coffin... Plus if property vacant the city adds an extra 6k to the annual property tax bill.

Who ever came up with the idea property crimes get a pass bears a huge burden on the deterioration of quality of life issues.
California voters passed Prop 47 in 2014, most likely believing that the $ used to incarcerate those who committed non violent property and drug crimes could be better used elsewhere, without realizing some of the unintended consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 10:45 AM

636 posts, read 326,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhound View Post
11 Million illegals in the USA from Mexico and your bragging about them replacing native Texans? Texas as the largest state can't really boast with a mere 15,000 population boost.
Sounds like you are the one bragging.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:51 AM

30,876 posts, read 36,845,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdot203 View Post
Well I mean think about it like this if you're willing to put the work in to move to say Texas (another suburb pretty much) you could do the same here.
I'm not planning on Texas. I don't really like the suburbs, to be honest. I'll be looking for a more rural area--or at least not a major metro area. I won't be trying to replicate a slightly different version of what I have in CA. I know that may not be true for a lot of other people. And like I said, even if I were trying to do that, my personal cost of living would go up and my quality of life would go down (as a result of increased rent and commuting costs as well as having to commute most days).

Quote:
I traveled thru alot of cities and metros where the rush hour traffic feels the same albeit it would take a "bit" longer in CA. If you move to most city centers you'll usually run into the same issues anyway. I agree that LA is a dump thats true and the inland might be "boring" but its not bad not compared to a big city mess.. politics is politics its gonna swing whatever way nature intends. The stuff about hating white people in democrat areas are exaggerated. And with this Joe Biden guy hes gonna tax us all but supposdly be able to house "thousands" in LA hotels.
You sound like you're in denial--not in total denial, but minimizing the problems/issues here. I went through the "it's not that bad" phase. Maybe it's that old 'frog in a boiling pot of water syndrome' where you don't realize how bad things are getting because it's gradual enough that you adapt to the dysfunction. But I can't do that any more. It really is that bad--at least for me. Lots of details I need to work out, but I know it's time to go--probably should have done it a long time ago. But we tell ourselves "it's not that bad" because moving is a big project and if we tell ourselves it's not that bad, we don't have to take any action.

Quote:
I also want to ask where do you get your 47% of nations homeless from? I remember NYC actually having the highest total pop than LA and i know thats CA rate you posted but NYC still have more bums than LA.
I posted the link right in the thread where I made that comment. Here it is again:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...-us-2019-09-18

Old 01-31-2021, 11:04 AM

30,876 posts, read 36,845,439 times
Quote:
It's when the problems combine with no end in sight...
Agreed. I don't see things changing for the better any time soon. If anything CA has enough voters who will reflexively vote to double down on everything we've been doing....so like you, I see no end in sight.

There are lots of things friends that left have mention and true some are related to urban that less urban don't experience...

Quote:
One Elephant in the room is not even the cost of insurance but is it even available?

I swear some companies have Redlined the entire State and don't think this isn't a problem or just a rural problem... plenty of homeowners in cities with Fire Hydrants at the curb and Fire Stations a few blocks away are getting non-renewed... somehow leaving CA this was no longer a problem...
People like California native Rosa Koire have been talking about issues like this for years. It's part of UN Agenda 21. They're trying to get people out of suburban and rural areas into urban centers. And this woman is a leftist who has studied the issue extensively, so please no 'right wing nut' comments. Like she said, nobody's going to come to your door and tell you to get out. But all of a sudden, you can't get insurance for your home, they stop repairing the roads in your area because they'll say they don't have the money, etc., etc. While Agenda 21 is a global agenda, it is being pushed more heavily in CA.

Quote:
Who ever came up with the idea property crimes get a pass bears a huge burden on the deterioration of quality of life issues.
I beleive this is a result of Prop 47 that passed a few years ago. They can rip off the stores blind and the cops are instructed not to do anything about it. And so the stores can't stay in business and they close. This was happening even before Covid. Californians need to start looking a little deeper into things when they vote this stuff in, but they won't.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 01-31-2021 at 11:26 AM..

Old 01-31-2021, 11:11 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,035,300 times
When most people hear no income tax they don’t quite get it.
The truth is “there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch”.
TANSTAAFL is an easy read economics book that my parents made me read when I was 14.

The thing is money has come from someplace to operate a form of government.
Notice how those areas have nothing like prop 13?
Rising property taxes can be dream killers.

Then there are other crazy taxes like liquor taxes.

In Washington if I want to buy say a bottle of Single Malt I pay an outrageous price, I then have to pay an extra $6 tax above that price and to make things more ridiculous I actually get taxed on the extra $6 tax I already paid.

There are other predatory tax situations.

The bottom line is nothing is free.

Last edited by MechAndy; 01-31-2021 at 11:24 AM..

Old 01-31-2021, 11:34 AM

160 posts, read 154,701 times
I watched the whole video, and it is tilted to people pushing the narrative that companies and people would be better off in other states.

Regarding companies, they will do what works best for their vision, shareholders, and bottom line. California would benefit from being more business friendly. It hasn't evolved that way, because it didn't need to. The state itself and the infrastructure was a big enough draw to attract those businesses and talents. I think the video does illustrate there could be a tipping point where California needs to court some business back to the state.
From a personal level, when people talk about how expensive the state is, that is code for housing costs. The coastal areas and big cities have a large problem with affordability, and that needs addressed. There are still plenty of people coming to the state, albeit higher income for the state to see positive population growth.
When personal state income taxes get discussed, the amounts people pay and the rates quoted are highly misleading. The tax rates are progressive. You don't pay at 13% rate until your AGI hits 1.1 million. Single filers pay almost nothing on the first $40k they earn. The woman in the video who said she paid $24k for state taxes would have needed to gross about $450k for the year to have that bill. If she can't figure out how to buy a house making $40k a month, she needs a better financial planner.
To the guy who moved to Idaho and says, "well, gas here is $1.98 a gallon." Yes, that is a struggle for a lot of people. If your budget is such that saving a dollar a gallon on gas makes housing affordability an option, then you should move out of California.

I think the video does touch on the complex issue of where companies do business, and the reasons for those decisions. How California became what it is today is an interesting journey, and it needs to adapt to keep it's place for economic innovation.

Old 01-31-2021, 01:33 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,035,300 times
So where does that leave the once called middle class?

I mean the good families that have what was once had a considered a good income?

So what does it now take to live nicely near good work and have an easy commute with out having your kids associate with living in gang member type neighborhoods ?

Personally speaking my kids make good money.
With 35% down they can only be approved for a house in the 650K range.

You can not live nicely at the price near the city.

Our kids are fortunate that we own places that they can rent.

Not every young adult has this option.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:30 PM

26,653 posts, read 26,614,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
When most people hear no income tax they don’t quite get it.
The truth is “there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch”.

The thing is money has come from someplace to operate a form of government.
Notice how those areas have nothing like prop 13?
Rising property taxes can be dream killers.
So that $1.2 million dollar home in Austin that someone mentioned upthread really will have a property tax bill of around 2% with no cap?

Old 01-31-2021, 04:39 PM

795 posts, read 404,595 times
Doesn’t bother me at all. Wife and I are in the planning stages to get our house on the market in the next few months and get the hell out of California ourselves. This state just continues to go further and further down the crapper. It is beyond saving. I will be perfectly happy to cash out on my house here and move to a sane state where my mo yet will go much further and I won’t be constantly regulated to death on a daily basis over stupid crap.

Old 01-31-2021, 09:14 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,519,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
California voters passed Prop 47 in 2014, most likely believing that the $ used to incarcerate those who committed non violent property and drug crimes could be better used elsewhere, without realizing some of the unintended consequences.
A few months back I was at CVS picking up prescription for a friend and everyone is social distancing and really on their best behavior.

Then this guy walks in with a duffle and goes behind the counter filling the bag with whiskey.

The manager runs over and the guy starts yelling he has Covid and anyone that wants Covid to try and stop him.

I'm calling 911 and another is filming...

Manager says police know who he is but will not do anything because the value is too low.

Manager said they don't pay enough to put up with this...

Make a long story short the CVS closed and now there is no one replacing the broken windows...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California