Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2021, 03:39 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,340,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Wait a minute; I thought a main advantage of moving to TX was housing affordability. And this home would cost its owner what in property taxes?
That's not a very representative listing for Austin. The area that house is in is extremely popular i.e. location, location, location. Texas is very much more affordable than CA, even in the nicer areas but Austin in particular is seeing real estate values go through the roof. Our oldest son lives there with his family and his house has almost doubled in market value just in the last 5 years and so has his property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 03:51 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
Austin in particular is seeing real estate values go through the roof. Our oldest son lives there with his family and his house has almost doubled in market value just in the last 5 years and so has his property taxes.
That's pretty disturbing!

Old 02-01-2021, 03:55 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Grew up in Seattle, went to Napa in the early sixties, lived in Anchorage Ak, Oregon, and a few other places through the years. All nice areas back in the day--All not so nice today. It isn't rocket science, or quantum theory that would be required when contemplating the effects of population on the social/political/economic landscape. Nope, just a quick look at these above mentioned areas, the slow degradation, more poverty, more crime, the ever higher taxes needed to keep such a hustle bustle city/county/state alive. They came for the weather, the natural beauty, and jobs--and in doing so--they ruined the once bucolic environs with their dreams of an ever expanding suburbia.

The CD wowsers are chiming in here quite often, they have the answers the rest are desperate for, and the irony is the testimonials telling of an even greater place to hang one's hat, just pick up and come on down to Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Alabama, and other regions of paradise on earth... Awaiting you. Annnd, your three cars, the boat, the 2 personal water craft, the dogs, kids--Annd, the new schools, the new shopping malls, the gentrified main streets full of more STUFF, bigger and better highways, more houses, more business, more of everything and, way more people..

The California "exodus" isn't that big of a deal when one realizes the fact of over populated areas becoming unsuitable over a short time. The same folks who are constantly looking for their own escape are simply the deluded types who were/are the reason for the previous area's decline, and wherever they go, there they are...

California will always have it's charm, it's beauty, it's Oceans, mountains, deserts, all that natural beauty
-- only spoiled by man's presence, so, the less humans the better..

Old 02-01-2021, 04:28 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
That's not a very representative listing for Austin. The area that house is in is extremely popular i.e. location, location, location. Texas is very much more affordable than CA, even in the nicer areas but Austin in particular is seeing real estate values go through the roof. Our oldest son lives there with his family and his house has almost doubled in market value just in the last 5 years and so has his property taxes.
Friends of mine are currently trying to buy a house in Austin. They recently put in an offer $75K over $280K asking on a 3/2 in the 'burbs and were outbid. Sounds exactly like the Bay Area except at 1/3 of the cost, as the same thing happened when they were trying to buy in Oakland a year ago (for homes in the low $1 million range).

Old 02-01-2021, 04:38 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
California will always have it's charm, it's beauty, it's Oceans, mountains, deserts, all that natural beauty
-- only spoiled by man's presence, so, the less humans the better..
According to the OP, Finper, Stone and other posters, the California desert is an afterthought and not worthy of residence. I shouldn't enjoy living here and I should just sell everything and move to a suburb of Austin, Boise or Atlanta to be "happier" and find my life's true purpose.

The amount of classism (and subtle racism) exhibited by our Ex-Resident Critics is truly a sight to behold.

Old 02-01-2021, 05:19 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
According to the OP, Finper, Stone and other posters, the California desert is an afterthought and not worthy of residence. I shouldn't enjoy living here and I should just sell everything and move to a suburb of Austin, Boise or Atlanta to be "happier" and find my life's true purpose.

The amount of classism (and subtle racism) exhibited by our Ex-Resident Critics is truly a sight to behold.
Most of these comments have to do with a rebellion on liberalism, which is common in California. However, those other suburban areas you've mentioned are also voting blue and trending more so. It is truly a nationwide phenomenon and not unique to California. Sure, at the state level, I don't think Idaho is going blue anytime soon. LOL. However, GA has already turned blue and TX is pretty close.

Not sure what they're escaping from, but it doesn't seem that the locations they've chosen will get them what they want politically (other than a cheaper house).

Old 02-01-2021, 05:36 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
https://austonia.com/californian-op-ed

Californian dislikes Austin, Tx.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:37 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
A high school friend had a small 1000 square feet home in the Bay Area circa 1950...

He sold and loaded up his worldly belongings moving to Tyler Texas to 80 acres...

Since arrival he built his home, barn and outbuildings and acre pond...

No building permits, design review, impact fees, mello, etc...

In one word it was freedom unimaginable in the SF Bay Area

Old 02-02-2021, 10:09 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
People I know who moved out of state, moved back after a year or less.
I’m not originally from there but left and never looked back. I have a step daughter in Palm Springs

Old 02-02-2021, 10:10 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
My two cousins left from Sonoma and are up in Salem Oregon. Retired now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California