Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick your fave
Vallejo 5 31.25%
Fresno 6 37.50%
Sacramento 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 11:33 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Having lived in both Vallejo and Sacramento, I can tell you that the weather in Vallejo is near perfect, it's close not quite as nice as Oakland. Sacramento is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than either of those two; I would never move to Sacramento just for the weather, that's for sure. But Sacramento weather is better than Vacaville because it cools off at night (in most parts of Sac anyway)
Fresno is significantly hotter than Sacramento over the entire course of the summer and early fall.

Sacramento is only marginally colder in the winter than Vallejo. Overall, Vallejo and Sacramento are very similar no or very little rain in the summer and fall and the absence of inclement weather. The only significant difference between Sacramento and Vallejo is with summer daytime highs for an average of two months. But morning summer lows are very cool and very similar both in Vallejo and Sacramento.

Both Vallejo and Sacramento are greatly affected by pacific coast cooling in the summer. Fresno is NOT significantly affected by pacific cooling in the summer.

Fresno is significantly hotter than Sacramento in the summer both daytime highs and ESPECIALLY morning lows.

You are right, Vacaville (not Vallejo) is hotter than Sacramento, Vacaville is almost as hot as Fresno in the summer.

Regarding Summer Cooling from the coast/bay/delta:
1. Although closer to the coast than Sacramento, Vacaville sits in a pocket just north of the Delta with coastal hills blocking rather funneling the cool moist air and winds that cool Fairfield/Susuin and Sacramento.

2. Fairfield/Susain sits on the edge of the Delta in a coastal plain that is in the path of the those strong cool winds and air coming from the Carquinez Straight/SF Bay which funnel directly up to the Sacramento Delta and directly to Sacramento.

3. Vallejo is on the Carquinez Straight hence the tremendous cooling it receives from the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 07:46 PM

2,892 posts, read 1,994,903 times
63f right now in fresno
55f right in sacramento (sacburrmento)
Edit: 51f at 7:15pm in sac. Burrrrrr
That's after Similar high temps in both cities
Remember, it often cools faster in sac when you don't want it to(spring, fall, and sometimes in winter). You'll never see chim mention that.

Are there summer days where there's a large difference between sac and fresno? Yes, a few days every summer.
Entire summers? No, that's rare.
At most, its once a decade where you see a big difference like chim likes to tout. Last time there was a large difference was 2017. Fresno had a record summer in 2017, while sac had a normal summer, with a strong delta breeze. 2017 was the last time sac had a very windy summer, btw. So much for that delta breeze, It's going extinct like affordable housing in sactoe. Wind in Fresno isn't decreasing, and might actually be increasing, in case you were wondering.

Another thing chim never mentions is that fresno is markedly dryer than sac for most summers. Yes, it's hotter, but it's also dryer, and it's noticable if you go back and forth between areas on the same day. If you think dryness doesn't matter: Go from San Diego to Vegas on a 70f day - You'll need a jacket in Vegas, while san Diego will feel perfect. The only major difference between the two - humidity. How does that work in fresno and sac? Well, there's often 103f days in fresno that don't feel much different than 96f days in sactoe. That's the power of bone dry air.

Another thing about summer, fresno spends much of it in the upper 90s and low 100s. Sac spends much of it the mid 90s and upper 90s. High temp diffs are in the 4-6 range for most of the summer. Chim always makes it seem like there's always a 10f+ difference during the day, don't believe him

As for air quality
32 score for fresno this afternoon
29 score for sacramento at the same time(per ios)
Twice as bad, eh. nice try

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 03-13-2021 at 08:39 PM..

Old 03-13-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
If you want a craftsman house, Vallejo has some lovely ones. https://www.redfin.com/CA/Vallejo/12...0/home/2227977
Nice houses in vallejo are going for 60-80k above asking. A craftsman or victorian could top 100k over asking in vallejo. Vallejo has the hottest market in america right now. Thanks, but I'll pass on that madness.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
AH! The OP puts in an appearance! So, OP, which house or location do YOU prefer, enough about us!

I'm shocked at those Vallejo temps. What were the highest temps in the Berkeley/Oakland area last summer? It sounds like one of those heat waves of increasing frequency that have been happening for a few years, or is the north Bay (except, perhaps, for Marin) prone to hot weather, like Napa?

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you've really done your research. Have you looked at Benicia? Just wondering.
Thanks for the heads-up, but I would take a house in vallejo over benicia. That super low elevation concerns me right now. Afraid that a 200 year flood could wreck that city(benecia)

Like the other person said, oakland is always cooler than vallejo.

I'd take the fresno house, if high speed rail gets built near scheduled time. Without hsr - vallejo - 100 out of 100 times.

I'm looking at building a custom home in friant ca. Friant is near a hospital i like, kaiser, has lovely views, and has low crime. It's also dirt cheap for foothill living.
It all depends on hsr; if it gets built in a few years, I'll build a house there. If hsr doesn't get funded, I'll be heading to the slo foothills.

Edit: check this house out(you can still click through the pictures)
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...19138564_zpid/
Real foothill living for under 300k
Just 13-15 minutes from north fresno
You can also get to yosemite in two hours and morro bar in 2.5 hrs from that spot. If I build something its going to be a modest, modern mcm similar to that.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 03-13-2021 at 09:46 PM..

Old 03-13-2021, 09:22 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Fresno is significantly hotter than Sacramento over the entire course of the summer and early fall.

Sacramento is only marginally colder in the winter than Vallejo. Overall, Vallejo and Sacramento are very similar no or very little rain in the summer and fall and the absence of inclement weather. The only significant difference between Sacramento and Vallejo is with summer daytime highs for an average of two months. But morning summer lows are very cool and very similar both in Vallejo and Sacramento.

Both Vallejo and Sacramento are greatly affected by pacific coast cooling in the summer. Fresno is NOT significantly affected by pacific cooling in the summer.

Fresno is significantly hotter than Sacramento in the summer both daytime highs and ESPECIALLY morning lows.

You are right, Vacaville (not Vallejo) is hotter than Sacramento, Vacaville is almost as hot as Fresno in the summer.

Regarding Summer Cooling from the coast/bay/delta:
1. Although closer to the coast than Sacramento, Vacaville sits in a pocket just north of the Delta with coastal hills blocking rather funneling the cool moist air and winds that cool Fairfield/Susuin and Sacramento.

2. Fairfield/Susain sits on the edge of the Delta in a coastal plain that is in the path of the those strong cool winds and air coming from the Carquinez Straight/SF Bay which funnel directly up to the Sacramento Delta and directly to Sacramento.

3. Vallejo is on the Carquinez Straight hence the tremendous cooling it receives from the coast.
The weather in Vallejo and Sacramento is NOT "very similar" if you'd ever worked/lived in Vallejo you would know that there is a huge difference, Vallejo has very mild summers compared to Sacramento.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:33 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
The weather in Vallejo and Sacramento is NOT "very similar" if you'd ever worked/lived in Vallejo you would know that there is a huge difference, Vallejo has very mild summers compared to Sacramento.
Let's be accurate:
We always overlook the months that Sacramento and Vallejo are very similar. Rather, we focus all our attention on the summer daytime highs.

No, there is not a huge difference between Sacramento and Vallejo 10 months out of the year. Sacramento and Vallejo have very similar weather 10 months out of the year.

The only difference is over 2-3 months during the summer regarding daytime highs. Summer daytime lows are very similar.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:59 PM

One last update for the nite
9pm per google
55f fresno, low wind
47f sac, 13mph wind(windchill is probably around 40f!)

Old 03-14-2021, 04:51 AM

130 posts, read 159,793 times
passed through Fresno and love the potential it has with its own international airport and high speed rail. Sacramento is the capital so it already is important. And Vallejo is just a suburb of the bay area so it already important also. Fresno is my pick

Old 03-14-2021, 12:04 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Vallejo hands down. Sac and Fresno have bad air and bad weather.
This is funny. Makes me wonder if this person has ever experienced “bad” weather. Lol

Old 03-14-2021, 01:05 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, but I would take a house in vallejo over benicia. That super low elevation concerns me right now. Afraid that a 200 year flood could wreck that city(benecia)

Like the other person said, oakland is always cooler than vallejo.

I'd take the fresno house, if high speed rail gets built near scheduled time. Without hsr - vallejo - 100 out of 100 times.

I'm looking at building a custom home in friant ca. Friant is near a hospital i like, kaiser, has lovely views, and has low crime. It's also dirt cheap for foothill living.
It all depends on hsr; if it gets built in a few years, I'll build a house there. If hsr doesn't get funded, I'll be heading to the slo foothills.

Edit: check this house out(you can still click through the pictures)
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...19138564_zpid/
Real foothill living for under 300k
Just 13-15 minutes from north fresno
You can also get to yosemite in two hours and morro bar in 2.5 hrs from that spot. If I build something its going to be a modest, modern mcm similar to that.
Yeah, thanks, but I'll pass on Friant, and that house. I'd stick w/Vallejo, or SLO foothills, if you can afford either of them.

Vallejo is at the same altitude as downtown Benicia. Both towns have hilly neighborhoods, so I don't understand your aversion to Benicia. If you at least have a house with a backyard that backs up into the hills, you get wonderful breezes of the Strait up there, with your own little picnic spot with a gorgeous view.

But it would be nice to be that much closer to the ferry to SF, in Vallejo.

HSR is dead. Not gonna happen. The state can't afford it, and it's going to need all the money it can muster just to deal with disaster relief from fires, floods, etc. from now into the foreseeable future. Oh, and did I mention, that with temps rising over time, the steel rails would start buckling, anyway? A disaster waiting to happen. And remember, the US doesn't manufacture its own steel anymore, much. It'd be a choice between imported German steel ($$$$$$) or Chinese steel ($). And you saw what happened with Chinese steel & bolts on the Bay Bridge...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California