Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 02:19 PM

795 posts, read 402,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
You are in for such a rude awakening, you have no idea!
Actually I’m not. I grew up on a 28 acre horse farm in upstate New York, also lived on a 32 acre farm in Northeast Ohio thru middle and high school and spent 4 years in Providence Rhode Island for college. I am well aware of snow, cold, and winter thanks. And as time has worn on, and especially with Newscum and his **** poor handling of the whole China virus thing, I have found more and more that I very much miss the rural life and lifestyle. I’ve had it with urban and suburban life and the traffic and the rat race and the overcrowding that is so prevalent here. I am counting the days until we leave for our 6 bed, 5 bath, 5500 square foot home on 24 rural acres in a state with a lower population than downtown San Diego with great anticipation. Looking forward to watching my kids run thru the fields and the woods having adventures and playing in a safe environment and watching them grow up in nature as I did, teaching them the value of hard work and personal responsibility along the way. We are just a few miles from a huge lake with great fishing and swimming as well. Wildlife, nature, it’s going to be fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 02:48 PM

21,568 posts, read 16,079,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
Actually I’m not. I grew up on a 28 acre horse farm in upstate New York, also lived on a 32 acre farm in Northeast Ohio thru middle and high school and spent 4 years in Providence Rhode Island for college. I am well aware of snow, cold, and winter thanks. And as time has worn on, and especially with Newscum and his **** poor handling of the whole China virus thing, I have found more and more that I very much miss the rural life and lifestyle. I’ve had it with urban and suburban life and the traffic and the rat race and the overcrowding that is so prevalent here. I am counting the days until we leave for our 6 bed, 5 bath, 5500 square foot home on 24 rural acres in a state with a lower population than downtown San Diego with great anticipation. Looking forward to watching my kids run thru the fields and the woods having adventures and playing in a safe environment and watching them grow up in nature as I did, teaching them the value of hard work and personal responsibility along the way. We are just a few miles from a huge lake with great fishing and swimming as well. Wildlife, nature, it’s going to be fantastic.
I think it’s great you are heading off to the great white (in more than one way) north woods. And as someone who grew up in Minnesota, so similar, the idea of you heating a 5500 square foot home through 7+ months of cold while running through the woods chased by black flies and mosquitos and peeling those lake leeches off after swimming the summer months is very *nostalgic* . Wish about 20 million more Californians would see the light as you have. Enjoy!

Old 03-11-2021, 04:37 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,926,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Yes, people forget that California had 6,006,429 votes for Trump in 2020 more than Texas 5,890,347 and Florida 5,668,731.
And to add, this was with a demoralized CA Republican party who knows the state will still vote democrat. Texas wasn't really a battleground state but definitely way more competitive, and Florida was similar. CA historically, especially SoCal, had a lot of red areas until about 15-20 years ago.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:08 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,022,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
And to add, this was with a demoralized CA Republican party who knows the state will still vote democrat. Texas wasn't really a battleground state but definitely way more competitive, and Florida was similar. CA historically, especially SoCal, had a lot of red areas until about 15-20 years ago.

Honestly, if you want to blame anyone for this, it's the CA Republican Party, which went on an all-out rampage during the late 1980s through the early 2000s when it came to social issues.

--They supported attacking immigrants and blocking them from using emergency rooms (Prop. 187)
--They supported banning gay marriage in 2000 (Prop. 22) and 2008 (Prop. 8)
--The anti-gay vociferousness of Republican assemblyman, state senators and congressman was ugly (Bob Dornan, Pete Knight, Darryl Issa, Dana Rohrabacher, William Dannemeyer, et. al.) Some of the things these men have said and done are completely hideous!
--They have voted against reproductive choice, repeatedly.

A lot of people have long memories and don't easily forget things!

If the CA GOP had steered clear of the social issues and simply focused on the fiscal issues, it would be a different story today.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:22 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,262,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I think it’s great you are heading off to the great white (in more than one way) north woods. And as someone who grew up in Minnesota, so similar, the idea of you heating a 5500 square foot home through 7+ months of cold while running through the woods chased by black flies and mosquitos and peeling those lake leeches off after swimming the summer months is very *nostalgic* . Wish about 20 million more Californians would see the light as you have. Enjoy!
You want 20 million people to leave California, so you don't feel congested I guess? overwhelmed? on the boat you live on. Forget the impact to the state. This makes perfect sense.

In other threads you also defend police not assisting ICE to apprehend illegals (there's about half of your 20 million right there). This also makes perfect sense.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:40 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,665,626 times
As a non-Californian but one who loves to visit SoCal - mainly for the hiking, but also for the dining and cultural offerings (my sister lives in LA, she is my guide in these latter pursuits) - I must say that I am fascinated by those who are so emotionally vested in the fantasy of bad news for California.

I mean, sure, there are numerous states that I could never imagine inhabiting. I won't name them. But I don't spend my time clicking my ruby heels together and fervently wishing for bad news about them to appear. Mostly, I don't think much at all about them.

It must be sad to be so consumed with schadenfreude... (to say nothing of being perpetually disappointed in that regard).

Old 03-11-2021, 05:52 PM

4,307 posts, read 6,228,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
Texans and Arizonians will still claim their States are being overrun with massive numbers of Californians.
They'll call anyone who is a liberal/moderate a Californian. Perhaps this has more to do with demographic/generational changes happening in our country than a sudden influx of Californians.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:00 PM

21,568 posts, read 16,079,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_210 View Post
You want 20 million people to leave California, so you don't feel congested I guess? overwhelmed? on the boat you live on. Forget the impact to the state. This makes perfect sense.

In other threads you also defend police not assisting ICE to apprehend illegals (there's about half of your 20 million right there). This also makes perfect sense.
Nice you can see the light. Given you are so illuminated now, can the state be so lucky as to have you flee (in a drove) yourself?

As for apprehending illegals, I am intensely anti any kind of immigration. That said, anyone with half the brain god gave a gnat should be able to understand why local police should not be the ones removing illegals. It’s a federal offense that should be handled by federal legislation and enforcement. Local police need to be on good terms with every law-abiding person in their jurisdiction ... including illegals. Long proven that illegals commit less crime than citizens. Look it up.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:05 PM

10,136 posts, read 6,568,165 times
The people "leaving in droves?'

Maybe, they drove back...

Old 03-11-2021, 06:32 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,262,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Nice you can see the light. Given you are so illuminated now, can the state be so lucky as to have you flee (in a drove) yourself?

As for apprehending illegals, I am intensely anti any kind of immigration. That said, anyone with half the brain god gave a gnat should be able to understand why local police should not be the ones removing illegals. It’s a federal offense that should be handled by federal legislation and enforcement. Local police need to be on good terms with every law-abiding person in their jurisdiction ... including illegals. Long proven that illegals commit less crime than citizens. Look it up.
Insult and then BS. Good combo.

Anyone with half a brain can understand the police aren't the ones removing illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California