Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 03:20 PM

2,922 posts, read 2,011,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot312 View Post
Getting kicked out at night doesn’t really solve the problem when everyone goes there during the day. I have little faith that effing dyer of all people is going to solve the homeless problem. Comparing Fresno’s homeless to echo park or Fresno’s summer to phoenix’s is disingenuous. The issue isn’t that fresno is the absolute worst, the issue is is that it’s a problem. Fresno’s homeless problem is just beginning. It really has coincided with the massive real estate and rentalincrease. Getting them out of visibility only fixes one problem, Fresno’s crisis is nearly free falling. https://www.security.org/resources/homeless-statistics/
45% increase in homelessness, topping the nation.

I don’t really see the point of aligning fresno complainers with any one political party. My complaints aren’t political.

The weather between fresno and Modesto (and to a greater degree Sacramento) arent just invented. Look at the historical data. Modesto is consistently 3-5 degrees daily max cooler, and sac is 5-8 degrees cooler.
I'm not gonna argue much about the homeless. But I know its much worse in urban socal, like nite and day.
I remember driving through one of fresnos worst ghettos(got car work done) and i struggled to find a single homeless person a while back. Spent much of my weekend down there. Weather was great, too, no excuses not to see any homeless. That's nite and day compared to ghetto socal. Dyer doesn't care if ppl hate him, he's gonna do whatever it takes to clean up the city. He's been doing a decent job so far.

You gotta throw out weather data. Climate change has flipped everything upside down. Climate data says that sacramento gets a ton of 50f lows, in reality, it hardly gets any today. Some summers show a good difference between modesto/fresno, and some it's minor. I look up CURRENT weather data all the time between valley cities, i know what I'm talking about. Also, you can't compare rural modesto to urban fresno living. The best thing to do would be to compare rural fresno to rural modesto(kerman vs rural modesto). That's a fairer fight. Even Fresno vs modesto isn't a 1-1 comparison because fresno is so much bigger(bigger pop=more heat)

I don't know if you're conservative or what, i wasnt speaking about you, anyways. I was just speaking in a generality.

QUOTE=Bigfoot312;60838681]https://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=sto
Modesto July/august avg 95.8/64 and 93.9/62.8
Sacramento July/august avg 92.6/59.6 and 91.4/58.9
Fresno July/august avg 99.7/69.3 and 98.1/67.5

It’s not a matter of debate. Fresno is hot as ****, Modesto is hot, Sacramento is not bad.[/quote]

That weather data comes from the airport, and the airport is the hottest part in fresno. You can knock off 5-9f degrees(morning low) throughout much of the summer in fresno if you live far from the airport. There isn't much difference in sac between airport and city(i can explain why if you want)
Weather data is old, too, btw.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 04-16-2021 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Getting kicked out at night doesn’t really solve the problem when everyone goes there during the day. I have little faith that effing dyer of all people is going to solve the homeless problem. Comparing Fresno’s homeless to echo park or Fresno’s summer to phoenix’s is disingenuous. The issue isn’t that fresno is the absolute worst, the issue is is that it’s a problem. Fresno’s homeless problem is just beginning. It really has coincided with the massive real estate and rentalincrease. Getting them out of visibility only fixes one problem, Fresno’s crisis is nearly free falling. https://www.security.org/resources/homeless-statistics/
45% increase in homelessness, topping the nation.

I don’t really see the point of aligning fresno complainers with any one political party. My complaints aren’t political.

The weather between fresno and Modesto (and to a greater degree Sacramento) arent just invented. Look at the historical data. Modesto is consistently 3-5 degrees daily max cooler, and sac is 5-8 degrees cooler.
Quote:
What are you talking about? NOAA records actual weather data from each city’s municipal airport. Modesto is urban, it’s not rural whatsoever, as is Sacramento and fresno. Does fresno have more of a heat island affect? Yeah, but who cares? How can you pretend that that somehow doesn’t make it as hot as it is? You’re doing a WHOLE lot to invalidate the reality. The weather data is recent, those were the last 20 years. If you want to do the last 5 years it ends up looking VERY bad for fresno, as the average would be more like 101 and 100. I don’t know when you visited fresno or what area you visited. I don’t care about your anecdote. The reality is is that Fresno’s homelessness is growing faster than anywhere else. It’s a reality.

And you compared Fresno’s homelessness to socials, despite me pointing out how that neither changes or makes Fresno’s homeless population any better.

Lmao your edit. Dude I had my own weather station at my house. Some parts of fresno get hotter than the airport - it’s not exactly high density right there. And all of the data is recorded at their respective airports. Lastly, airports set up their temperature data away from buildings, far above ground etc to avoid impact. It’s as accurate of data as you can get. You’d know if you, you know, actually cared to look into it instead of blindly defending Fresno’s summer heat. Twilight Zone up in here. 5-9 degrees off the recorded data...
I didn't say everyday. I said much of the summer. You know there's maps with weather data throughout the city of fresno - you can spot the differences whenever you want By viewing the maps(in case you're wondering, far west fresno is usually the coolest part of fresno at nite) And The airport is always the hottest spot, always. Urban fresno is a lot bigger than urban Modesto - that is a fact(700k+ should be the current urban population in fresno)
Anyways, this is going in circles, like your debate with tulemutt.
You can have the last word in. I'm done.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Telemut at least has merit to his argument (even if I disagree). Yours? Duh, Modesto has cooler regions and Sacramento has cooler regions within it as well. I’ve lived in both, fresno is hot as ****. The reported data is accurate. To say something so ludicrous as fresno is 5-9 degrees cooler than the reported data is insane. You don’t think I’d know the difference between 92-95 and 100 degrees? You’ve disregarded scientifically recorded data. It’s going in circles because you have a circular argument “nuh uh. Not tree. They’re all the same” riiiiiight dog
5-9 in the morning/nite. Of course I wasnt talking about 5-9 in the late afternoon.
Goodbye

Old 04-20-2021, 01:05 AM

130 posts, read 160,080 times
It looks like Friant Ranch in the Fresno Metro area is moving forward thankfully.

Title: Plan for a new town in hills above Fresno gets a reboot. What's next for Friant Ranch?

https://www.fresnobee.com/fresnoland...250663809.html

Old 04-25-2021, 03:08 PM

176 posts, read 291,199 times
"Fresno prices swell even though more people left the city in 2020 than moved in". This, for me, is the most interesting part of the discussion. Homes in my neighborhood have appreciated sharply and the buyers are all local "move-up" buyers. I think covid-related restlessness, people spending more time in their homes and, therefore, placing more value on their homes, and historically low interest rates are driving the market in general and Fresno's % increase is higher on relatively lower base prices. You also have investors driving-up the market buying rental income properties.

Beyond the above, I don't see anything occurring in Fresno from an economic or quality of life standpoint to support sustained price increases. Additionally, I would argue that the desirable areas of Fresno have contracted.

I note many are discussing/debating how hot it gets in Fresno. Bottom line, the winters are mild, spring and fall are very nice, and summer is hot by anyone's definition - who cares if it is plus or minus 3 degrees versus somewhere else. That said, if you have a pool, summer is glorious. I jump in the pool every evening after work and feel absolutely perfect outside the last two hours before sunset.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:51 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeNC View Post
Beyond the above, I don't see anything occurring in Fresno from an economic or quality of life standpoint to support sustained price increases. Additionally, I would argue that the desirable areas of Fresno have contracted.
If anything, the number one cause for price increases in the San Joaquin Valley are concurrent price increases in the coastal areas. When the coastal areas are up 20-40% on $ 800K+ homes and new buyers get priced out of those areas then modest 10-15% price increases on 300K -500K homes in the valley look more attractive and affordable.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeNC View Post
"Fresno prices swell even though more people left the city in 2020 than moved in". This, for me, is the most interesting part of the discussion. Homes in my neighborhood have appreciated sharply and the buyers are all local "move-up" buyers. I think covid-related restlessness, people spending more time in their homes and, therefore, placing more value on their homes, and historically low interest rates are driving the market in general and Fresno's % increase is higher on relatively lower base prices. You also have investors driving-up the market buying rental income properties.

I note many are discussing/debating how hot it gets in Fresno. Bottom line, the winters are mild, spring and fall are very nice, and summer is hot by anyone's definition - who cares if it is plus or minus 3 degrees versus somewhere else. That said, if you have a pool, summer is glorious. I jump in the pool every evening after work and feel absolutely perfect outside the last two hours before sunset.
Of course summers aren't great in Fresno, but people talk about them like they're Phoenix summers, which can sometimes irritate me.

A lot depends on downtown Fresno when it comes to prices. If the city can actually make it interesting in a way, prices will keep skyrocketing. But if they keep letting it rot, price increases will go back to being meager. A revitalized south Fresno will just put even more strain on the housing market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
If anything, the number one cause for price increases in the San Joaquin Valley are concurrent price increases in the coastal areas. When the coastal areas are up 20-40% on $ 800K+ homes and new buyers get priced out of those areas then modest 10-15% price increases on 300K -500K homes in the valley look more attractive and affordable.
I've seen more interest for Bakersfield from coastal buyers these past two months than ever before. It's going to be a good year for kern county homeowners

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 04-25-2021 at 07:02 PM..

Old 04-25-2021, 08:52 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
Please quit telling everyone how great Fresno is.........lol
Will be looking at rental property opportunities there.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:31 AM

130 posts, read 160,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_210 View Post
Will be looking at rental property opportunities there.
Looks like there is plenty the new rooftop Bar in Fresno ”Quail State” is booked already a month out. Just need to see a new Food Hall similar to Ferry Building in San Francisco,CA and Foodlab in Riverside,CA. Have the best of the local food businesses move into the Fresno Food Hall. Beef up foot traffic downtown even more with Added Apartments and Hotels that is in high demand in California.

Old 04-27-2021, 10:32 PM

478 posts, read 691,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchingsinc View Post
Looks like there is plenty the new rooftop Bar in Fresno ”Quail State” is booked already a month out. Just need to see a new Food Hall similar to Ferry Building in San Francisco,CA and Foodlab in Riverside,CA. Have the best of the local food businesses move into the Fresno Food Hall. Beef up foot traffic downtown even more with Added Apartments and Hotels that is in high demand in California.
Downtown Fresno has been trying to find the formula to make downtown popping . It's been years with a lot of money put in to it, but the effect on how successful it has been is debated. How do you think Fresno can solve this? Basically those with money in north Fresno and clovis won't dare go to downtown. Downtown businesses struggle as more often then not downtown is dead. Yet Fresno is a city of 550,000 and clovis another 130,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California