Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM

174 posts, read 431,096 times

Advertisements

First of all, I have heard, and pretty much believe, that if someone leaves California, they will probably be priced out (~unless you're pretty flush before the move). That said, I have a home worth about $660K, thats all but paid for ($60K left). We are thinking of leaving CA and heading for 'greener (greenbacks) pastures. Maybe E. WA or W. ID.

Any other suggestions? We WILL NOT TOLERATE super-high crime rate areas, or super hot-humid areas. We also believe that 'global warming' will make changes as life goes on, and that places that are 'fairly chilly, i.e. coastal ares in No Cal, etc, will get cooler in the winter, and warmer in the summer, so we are probably looking at the NorthWest US area.

Any thoughts, or ideas? I know that they're are some pretty smart people looking around these boards, and I would like to hear an opinion other than mine or the locals here.

Thanks

Last edited by middleoftheroad; 05-12-2008 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: spelling, grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 12:36 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,514,561 times
Eastern Washington and Western Idaho are still mostly rural places with low tax bases and few amenities like learning institutions, governement services, hospitals, etc. These areas are becoming popular with "cash-out retirees" due to the low land costs.

If you are amenable to the rural lifestyle you will enjoy it. Just don't think for a hot second you will find anything there that compares to the level of services and diversity of experience in most of California's population centers.

Just remember that living in an area with a low tax base means things like curbs, sidewalks, street signage, streetlights, parks, libraries, hospitals, and other public infrastructure will be much more basic than even the poorer neighborhoods of a major city.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,850,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middleoftheroad View Post
First of all, I have heard, and pretty much believe, that if someone leaves California, they will probably be priced out (~unless you're pretty flush before the move). That said, I have a home worth about $660K, thats all but paid for ($60K left). We are thinking of leaving CA and heading for 'greener (greenbacks) pastures. Maybe E. WA or W. ID.

Any other suggestions? We WILL NOT TOLERATE super-high crime rate areas, or super hot-humid areas. We also believe that 'global warming' will make changes as life goes on, and that places that are 'fairly chilly, i.e. coastal ares in No Cal, etc, will get cooler in the winter, and warmer in the summer, so we are probably looking at the NorthWest US area.

Any thoughts, or ideas? I know that they're are some pretty smart people looking around these boards, and I would like to hear an opinion other than mine or the locals here.

Thanks

Often I check out a person's profile to get more info. Your's was very populated.

What do you expect to do for work? Where would you work?
Would you miss California's positives? (Weather, cultural & culinary diversity, geographic diversity, 365 outdoor activities, etc)?

Are you close to retirement? How would moving affect your tax situation? What about property taxes? If you owned in California for a long time you may be prop 13 low. That may change on a move to some states.

Would your kids or parents not dig on you moving?

Old 05-12-2008, 03:59 PM

36,668 posts, read 67,634,704 times
What does your personal situation have to do with California's Gloomy Financial Outlook?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:18 PM

Default think

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What does your personal situation have to do with California's Gloomy Financial Outlook?
Well, (duh, err....) I think I could live better with more bang for the buck in a State that wasn't up to their eyeballs in debt, and needing to tax the citizens to make it up.

For example, my home is valued at $660K. For that same amount, I could buy a big home in, say, Green Valley, AZ, and bank the remaining $475K.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Often I check out a person's profile to get more info. Your's was very populated.

What do you expect to do for work? Where would you work?
Would you miss California's positives? (Weather, cultural & culinary diversity, geographic diversity, 365 outdoor activities, etc)?

Are you close to retirement? How would moving affect your tax situation? What about property taxes? If you owned in California for a long time you may be prop 13 low. That may change on a move to some states.

Would your kids or parents not dig on you moving?
I'm in process of retiring. I just want a peaceful place to kick back, thats not too far from hospital, food shopping, and maybe even a small bit of cultural sights and goings on. I'm not talking hollywood Bowl here....just an occasional movie from the current year, a coffee house, and a bookstore. If we're lucky, somewhere within an hour 1 1/2 hours to see a live musicial act now and then.

And my tax is SO LOW, you wouldn't believe it . But, I'm willing to factor that in, if the price is right in the new location, which is readily feasible.

Last edited by middleoftheroad; 05-12-2008 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 05-12-2008, 09:53 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,030,945 times
Quote:
I'm in process of retiring. I just want a peaceful place to kick back, thats not too far from hospital, food shopping, and maybe even a small bit of cultural sights and goings on. I'm not talking hollywood Bowl here....just an occasional movie from the current year, a coffee house, and a bookstore. If we're lucky, somewhere within an hour 1 1/2 hours to see a live musicial act now and then.

And my tax is SO LOW, you wouldn't believe it . But, I'm willing to factor that in, if the price is right in the new location, which is readily feasible.
I recently decided to move my manufacturing company and its 30+ jobs out of California. I looked into Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. We are moving to Idaho. For what its worth here is what I found out:

I would avoid Oregon because property taxes are too high for it to be a good place to retire. (Plus I like to pump my own gas )

I would also be hesitant to move to Washington because they have no income tax which means they have to make it up in other ways. I think their property taxes are high too. They do have a Prop. 13 type law but I have heard horror stories about people not being able to stay in their homes because their taxes became to high.

If you are retiring then I would think you want a state that has an income tax because that usually means the other taxes (property and sales) are more reasonable (except in the case of Oregon which has a very high income tax on top of the high property tax).

You should check out the Boise area. It has everything you said you are looking for. The drawback with Idaho is that they don't have a Prop 13 type law to protect you from year to year. However, the values are not going up as fast as Washington or Oregon. Plus there is a movement towards some type of property tax protection.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 PM

36,668 posts, read 67,634,704 times
Quote:
Well, (duh, err....) I think I could live better with more bang for the buck in a State that wasn't up to their eyeballs in debt, and needing to tax the citizens to make it up.

For example, my home is valued at $660K. For that same amount, I could buy a big home in, say, Green Valley, AZ, and bank the remaining $475K.
As far as you making up for the state's debt-taxes havent gone up so you really arent paying for that yet.

The fact that houses are cheaper elsewhere doesnt really mean that CA has a gloomy outlook either.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:51 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,850,488 times
Quote:

If it were me, I'd want to be as close to my kids as possible. Do you have kids (grandkids)?

Otherwise, read this first post about a retired (from expensive DC) friend of mine who chose Colorado Springs. Note to the mention of taxes in retirement:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/color...o-springs.html

Old 05-13-2008, 05:02 AM

1,568 posts, read 4,429,070 times
I was in your situation 5 years ago, having just retired and living on an equity-rich piece of property in Palo Alto.

I sold my home and moved to a beautiful town between Santa Fe and Albuquerque, NM.

State taxes here are half of what they were in CA, I was able to purchase a beautiful house on 1 1/2 acres, and have access to nearby hospitals, shopping, hiking and fishing. My place has practically doubled in value since I moved in.

The down side of the move is that I miss my friends who come out and visit every once in a while. I do not miss the Bay Area, which surprises me.

If I ever decide to move back, it will be to a semi-rural area --maybe Sonoma or San Juan Bautista-- where I will probably rent, although I could afford to buy a small place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California