Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:29 AM

38,782 posts, read 22,772,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy29 View Post
Bakersfield is definately much better than living in places like Iraq.
I agree.

Also, if I had a choice between living in Bombay Beach or Bakersfield, I would choose Bakersfield.

Quote:
I am very thankful for being an American and thankful that my home is in the USA.
Queue up Lee Greenwood's song, "God Bless the USA," where he sings:

And I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.

This one I wholeheartedly agree with you on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 01:38 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,863,037 times
I feel that Bakersfield's White Population will continue to grow and remain the largest,because it just seems like it's one of those cities that happens to attract alot of White Families.

And nope i'm not White :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
The following is from city-data.com's information on the racial makeup in Bakersfield:

[LEFT]Races in Bakersfield:[/LEFT]
  • White Non-Hispanic (51.1%)
  • Hispanic (32.5%)
  • Other race (18.7%)
  • Black (9.2%)
  • Two or more races (4.4%)
  • American Indian (2.5%)
  • Asian Indian (1.3%)
  • Filipino (1.1%)
  • Other Asian (0.5%)
  • Chinese (0.5%)
It seems that just slightly over half of Bakersfield's population is white, and that Hispanics are the largest minority, according to their information. Why do you believe that Bakersfield's white population will remain the majority and will continue to grow? By the way, are you one of those 51.1% white non-Hispanics referred to above? Just wondering...

Old 01-04-2007, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 8,906 times
How about schools that are lousy? Yep Bakersfield's got that! Racisim? Yep got that too! Meth? Just about every where there is a meth house near by. We have lived here for three years.I can not wait to move any place but here!

Old 01-04-2007, 09:56 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,328,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae West View Post
How about schools that are lousy? Yep Bakersfield's got that! Racisim? Yep got that too! Meth? Just about every where there is a meth house near by. We have lived here for three years.I can not wait to move any place but here!
Where do you live? I've lived here quite a few years and I haven't lived next to any meth house and i dont see any racists either.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:05 AM

38,782 posts, read 22,772,905 times
Quote:
And nope i'm not White :-)
Cool! That makes two of us.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:34 AM

8 posts, read 70,295 times
You were here for a week and had things stolen? Where did you stay, Motel 6? Are you sure you didn't just lose your stuff?

Why didn't you go visit Pioneer Village while you were here. It is open almost everyday and is a several acre historical museum with actual buildings taken from sites throughout Kern County, such as homes and a jail from the pioneer days. You wander around imagining what it would have been like to live in those days.
There was also CALM. A refuge for animals indigenous to the area, set up like a zoo for public atendees. They have bears, eagles, a giraffe and hundreds of other animals. Ok, just kidding about the giraffe!

There is lots to do here if you are visiting, you should have asked somebody local.

If you like Basque food, we have that and they are not chains, but the best basque food you'll find in CA. Even movie stars stop here to eat it.
We enjoy lots of restaurants that are not chains (we enjoy the chains too LOL)
I apologize for whoever it is you met that was rude, but most of Bakersfield is friendly and would have pointed you in the right direction for local entertainment.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 8,906 times
Default Meth houses

We live near west high there are meth houses on Tayolor & Belle Terrace Those two fires on Belle Terrace?? Meth house The BPD at neighbor hood watch says that Bakersfield is a hot bed of meth houses right now. As for the racisim everywhere I go. Got called a stupid N word just on friday. Got fired 'cause some old oildale guy hated me. I HATE IT HERE!

Old 02-11-2007, 05:36 PM

12 posts, read 30,755 times
I've lived all over California - San Diego, Sonoma, Camarillo, San Francisco ... and every day I'm here my heart aches for more. I loved the post about seeking out chain restaraunts - very characterisitic of Bako. There's a roughness here - hard to put your finger on. I miss first-run independent films, a variety of ethnic foods (Basque IMHO is overpriced backyard barbeque), malls NOT overrun by pregnant teenage girls. Would it hurt to offer the L.A. times? I pay a monthly fee to have access to the New York times so I can avoid the Bakersfield paper. I'd describe it as a slightly redneck family town, Bible-belt conservative, limited options for entertainment venues, and unsophisticated food fare. I keep more liberal views to myself - talking about alternative views is a no-no here.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:13 AM

50 posts, read 290,929 times
"Bakersfield - it's not as bad as you've heard."

I've always thought that should be the city's motto.

Bakersfield is far from perfect - but it is not a bad place to live and it is only two hours or less away from every thing it is lacking (cultural events, fancy places to shop, the beach, the mountains).

And it is cheap for California!

Old 07-28-2007, 01:01 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,863,037 times
People's definition of Culture Shock Varies...My opinion of Culture Shock is when you travel to a Foreign Country and experience an entirely different Lifestyle,Culture and Behavior from what your used to.

Bakersfield really isn't much different from other SoCal Suburbs,so I don't understand why some people experience Culture Shock here.

If people in Bakersfield were all living in Farms and travelled on Wagons and had no Modern Conveniences then that would definately be a Culture Shock for anyone coming from Southern CA,but Bakersfield is as Modern as any Mid-Sized City in the State or the Country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Please explain to me what you mean when you say culture shock, what does so. cal. have that causes such a statement? What type of culture is Bakersfield lacking? I'm just confused over these statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California