Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 23,146 times

Advertisements

is there any way to get around having bad credit to get a rental in the inland empire area, specifically Redland, Loma Linda, or Yucaipa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 11:19 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
This isn't specific to your area but you've got a couple options:
1. Deal with the owner dirctly, not an agency or management. Keep trying until someone says yes.
2. Agree to prepay a bunch of rent or a larger deposit. Again, keep going until someone says yes.

I've had bad credit a couple different times in my life when I needed to rent and #1 always worked for me.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:30 AM

76 posts, read 223,700 times
I agree! good answer!

Old 04-02-2007, 06:50 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
Depends on what's in your credit report. I'll over look medical, health spas, cell phones & utilities. I won't work with BK's, evictions, judgements and tax liens. I also look at length of employment, job stability, and rental history. In other words, I look at the whole application and make a decision from that.

Also, if you're too "nice" and persistent that's a red flag.

Last edited by Paula Lynn; 04-02-2007 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Additional info

Old 04-02-2007, 01:45 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
Seriously, I think that buying a house is easier than renting. One would think that one is moving into the Taj Mahal or Royal Palace with such stringent scrutiny. Conversely, I think it would be a good idea to run a credit check on the landlord (especially of a single residence) and see if the house is going into foreclosure, if there's a tax lien, bankruptcy, divorce, etc. as well before one inadvertently ends up on the street.

Thank goodness that I'm not at the MERCY of a landlord; as we own. I feel sorry for some of the people who have a bad credit history due to illness, job loss, divorce (there are plenty) and then having to deal with future employers and/or landlords who scrutinize with a fine tooth comb. It's too bad that a person's past seems to determine a person's future. I've seen this happen too often.

Last edited by Donna7; 04-02-2007 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: need to add

Old 04-03-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Seriously, I think that buying a house is easier than renting. One would think that one is moving into the Taj Mahal or Royal Palace with such stringent scrutiny. Conversely, I think it would be a good idea to run a credit check on the landlord (especially of a single residence) and see if the house is going into foreclosure, if there's a tax lien, bankruptcy, divorce, etc. as well before one inadvertently ends up on the street.

Thank goodness that I'm not at the MERCY of a landlord; as we own. I feel sorry for some of the people who have a bad credit history due to illness, job loss, divorce (there are plenty) and then having to deal with future employers and/or landlords who scrutinize with a fine tooth comb. It's too bad that a person's past seems to determine a person's future. I've seen this happen too often.
Donna,

Yes, people lose jobs, divorce, illnesses ....... That is all taken into consideration.

On the other hand, would you turn over your car keys or keys to your house to a stranger? We need to find out if they're credit worthy. I believe a person should not be penalized due to their past and they should be given a second chance.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:05 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
Paula, I completely agree. No, I would not hand over the keys to a vehicle or house/apartment without knowing whether a financial commitment can be made in good faith. I would not want to be a landlord because I saw my aunt work very hard in her landlord role; something that she did in the 70's. (She passed away early 80's). Unfortunately, the house that she was renting out became a low income rental area due to job lay-offs in our area (NE OH) and homeowners who took pride in their homes moved out and the area slowly become a slum area. Her tenants would not pay rent for several months, would literally tear the place off; meaning taking out plumbing, cabinets, toilets, stoves, refrigerators, etc. She then turned to flipping houses by buying at sheriff sales and fixing them and then re-selling. Unfortunately, she did not get to enjoy the fruits of her labor as she passed away from cancer in her early 40's. So, I definitely understand the necessity for checking out a person's financial ability to pay. I do not like the excessive invasion into a person's private matters though; by a future landlord perhaps, but even more so with a future employer.

Wishing you a good day.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 23,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
Donna,

Yes, people lose jobs, divorce, illnesses ....... That is all taken into consideration.

On the other hand, would you turn over your car keys or keys to your house to a stranger? We need to find out if they're credit worthy. I believe a person should not be penalized due to their past and they should be given a second chance.
I know what its like to be a landlord and get screwed over by the tenant, thats why we have bad credit now because when we moved to washington we couldn't sell our house so we decided to rent it to help make the payments. There is a really long story to explain all of it but I won't go into detail now, lets just say that we have a foreclosure on our record now on our home in Idaho, but the home is Washington is nearly sold, just working out the inspection repair details, my husband has 4 years with his current employer and 12 years in the occupation, I have 3 years with my employer, I am recently changed careers because travel isn't stable anymore. Are you a property manager?

Old 04-03-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylor6463 View Post
I know what its like to be a landlord and get screwed over by the tenant, thats why we have bad credit now because when we moved to washington we couldn't sell our house so we decided to rent it to help make the payments. There is a really long story to explain all of it but I won't go into detail now, lets just say that we have a foreclosure on our record now on our home in Idaho, but the home is Washington is nearly sold, just working out the inspection repair details, my husband has 4 years with his current employer and 12 years in the occupation, I have 3 years with my employer, I am recently changed careers because travel isn't stable anymore. Are you a property manager?
Yes, I am a property manager! How did you know

Last edited by Paula Lynn; 04-03-2007 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-04-2007, 08:15 AM

281 posts, read 869,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylor6463 View Post
is there any way to get around having bad credit to get a rental in the inland empire area, specifically Redland, Loma Linda, or Yucaipa?

*I* personally, will never ever deal with a real estate company or corporate owner of any sort in renting again. I have been a renter with an impeccable rental history of 21 years. I have poor credit, and in the past, I always went through a private owner when renting an apartment in the other state I'm from. I never had a problem. Never. But after coming here, and finding out how landlords in california treat their tenants, I'm moving and never looking back.

The only thing I can suggest to you is to offer to front a large deposit. You more than likely will be asked to, if they even consider you. It depends on what is on your credit report. If it's unpaid utilities, loan defaults, unlawful detainers, and bankruptcy, they will generally not accept you. If it's medical bills, like I have, then they generally overlook this. It's best to clean up your credit report before attempting to rent here, anyway, because unfortuantely I haven't found too many friendly owners here to rent from. Everyone has been rude in some fashion or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California