Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:00 PM

306 posts, read 600,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitagreatday View Post
Alright...you got me on that one but in my defense I have a native Cali...fornian sitting next to me saying "we all know it as Cali"...

10,000 more is alot of growth for a city. Out of curiosity, is it the number of houses upon houses that ruins the view, the type of people that have come to make it home or the bad elements that sometimes accompanies such growth that is discouraging for you?
Yeah this guy with the Cali in Columbia quote needs to shut his trap. Everyone in the world besides Columbia and this funny guy knows Cali means California. He sounds like a dufus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Highnlite says he never heard natives calling it Cali but post a video of dudes that got Cali on their shirt. The guy is not real street smart and would surely get beat up trying to argue this in the hood.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:49 PM

464 posts, read 828,322 times
Thumbs up Thanks, fresnofresno...

...I needed a little Cali support.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:32 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,624,497 times
Quote:
Everyone in the world besides Columbia and this funny guy knows Cali means California.
Columbia is a town up by Sonora.

Ya'll need to work on your geography.

Quote:
The guy is not real street smart and would surely get beat up trying to argue this in the hood
"The hood"? in Nipomo?

The most charitable thing that can be said about the local gangs is that some of them are good strawberry pickers, they have to be, to support the ones that are too chubby to pick well.

Last edited by .highnlite; 09-23-2011 at 09:47 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 10:17 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Here's all you could want to know, and more than you want to know, about the word / name: Cali.

First, an entire City Data thread devoted to the argument over use:
//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ling-cali.html

Second, a summary from: The Urban Dictionary:
1. Cali

1) One of the most important cities of Colombia, AKA The capital of Salsa. Unfortunately one of the most violent cities in the country.

2) An annoying name for California.
2. Cali

Cali:
A main city in the beautiful country of colombia. It is known for being the salsa capital of the world.
Yo bro that salsa concert in cali was crazy. No wonder they call it the salsa capital of the world.

3. cali
A name that non-native Californian's use when referring to California and trying to seem like a real Californian.
Typical of an East coaster
4. Cali

A word for "California" used by no one who has ever lived in California. Use "Cali" and you will immediately sound like a hick.

5. cali

ANNOYING word that people who dont live in california use when talking about california, and think they are cool saying it. seriously inlanders, **** and just say california instead.
6. cali

a word used by non Californians. Typically often thought of as a children's word. Only posers and losers use this word to seem cool

Urban Dictionary: cali

Old 09-24-2011, 01:49 AM

464 posts, read 828,322 times
Thumbs down Whoa, whoa, whoa, nullgeo...

...I suspect you are a transplant that you have a hang-up on that Cali thing rather than just realize that we all have our own ways. Lighten up, man, and head to Huntington Beach to hear what the natives call home. It is simply an urban reference to the state of California. If you take offense rather than just making a ha-ha of it...there's no way you're a native Californian....nah...not possible.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitagreatday View Post
...I suspect you are a transplant that you have a hang-up on that Cali thing rather than just realize that we all have our own ways. Lighten up, man, and head to Huntington Beach to hear what the natives call home. It is simply an urban reference to the state of California. If you take offense rather than just making a ha-ha of it...there's no way you're a native Californian....nah...not possible.
Relax ... take a pill if you need (speaking of taking offense?). You know, there wasn't any comment from me or opinion expressed about what you call California ... I merely read your exchange and recalled a C D thread from the past so looked it up for you. Why? Because your earlier protestations that the term 'Cali' was generally accepted stand to question in light of the "Urban Dictionary" and previous thread on the subject. You can call California whatever you like ... and everyone will know to what you refer ... but many disagree with you, as well ... to which opinion they are just as entitled.

As for being a native Californian -- no, I'm not, by birth, if that is your meaning ... are you a Native American? I mean ancestrally. And yet you reside here in America ... and call yourself a citizen ... and claim pride in your country ... etc. ... because you identify yourself with the place you love? If you want to get personal: I first lived in California in 1966, btw ... were you born yet? And just what might be superior about being a native anything anyway? Superpowers not shared by the rest of humanity? Leap tall buildings in a single bound? Mightier than a speeding bullet? What?

I live, freely, all up and down the west coast and Hawaii now ... I no longer have "a" state (other than confusion at times). You have a nice day ... Aloha

Old 09-24-2011, 12:30 PM

Everyone just look at the video and see what it says on one of the dudes shirt and that shall rest your case.:think

Old 09-24-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
Everyone just look at the video and see what it says on one of the dudes shirt and that shall rest your case.:think
One expression on one t-shirt doesn't rest any case ... it simply expresses an opinion shared by some ... and not shared by others ... the Urban Dictionary and posts by opposing views on other C D threads say every bit as much, at the least.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:34 PM

282 posts, read 615,464 times

Notorious B.I.G - Going Back to Cali - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWbXQQG9B6c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California