Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 10:10 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,678,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
.highnlite, actually you should probably move just a bit east and would love 'cowboy country' as your criteria for good folks is based upon horseriding, roping and barrel racing. (I'll let you know if we move into your neck of the woods so we can all get together for fun.) Seriously though, we've done rural and urban living and both have their good and bad points.
Apparently you know nothing of the the Central Coast, or the Vaquero tradition that has existed here for over 200 years. We have ranches that have been in the same family for most of 200 years. The Vaquero tradition, moved north into Nevada, Oregon, Idaho and became the Buckaroo tradition, still practiced by men who make their living on horseback..

I recommend that before you make posts that show what you do not know, that you do your homework.

The following is Nipomo, the Nipas are not Nipomo, the veneer of McMansions are not Nipomo. The song was written by Dave, a Nipomo boy, on the porch of the 175 year old home of the Danas, whose descendants are still here, and still ranching.

If this does not touch your soul, please remain where you are.

Heart of Western Music Episode 1.4: Dave Stamey "Vaquero Song" - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 10:36 PM

464 posts, read 832,167 times
Default Actually, I am familiar with the Vaquero...

...and the abuse by such. We all have traditions and they all have their good and bad. Do your research on the Vaqueros (simply cowboys as the translation shows) and you will probably not like what you see...or maybe you will.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:12 AM

306 posts, read 603,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
One expression on one t-shirt doesn't rest any case ... it simply expresses an opinion shared by some ... and not shared by others ... the Urban Dictionary and posts by opposing views on other C D threads say every bit as much, at the least.
How is Cali written on a shirt an opinion?

Old 09-25-2011, 07:34 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,892,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
How is Cali written on a shirt an opinion?
How is "Cali" written on a shirt evidence that "Everyone in the world besides Columbia and this funny guy knows Cali means California."?????

Old 09-25-2011, 07:38 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,892,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitagreatday View Post
... did I...hmm...hear reference to 'SoCal'

As for anyone calling Cali Cali...get out a little...have fun...and come on down to OC!
You sure did ... that was for you, sweetheart ... just to show how contemporary I am under it all

As for coming down to OC ... nah, if that's where you are now after moving from Fountain Hills, it's the perfect place for you ... and a great explanation of your presentation of self. You stay ... I'll stay away, up in the real California.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitagreatday View Post
...and the abuse by such. We all have traditions and they all have their good and bad. Do your research on the Vaqueros (simply cowboys as the translation shows) and you will probably not like what you see...or maybe you will.
Confusing Vaquero with cowboys is something done by Easterners. A Vaquero is a Vaquero, the term cowboy isn't actually about cows and boys, cowboy is a corruption of Caballero, as Buckaroo is a corruption of Vaquero. Today in the lands of the Vaquero tradition Buckaroos look down upon Cowboys, Buckaroos work on horse back, they don't clean ditches, they don't fix windmills, they don't fix fence, those jobs are done by cowboys. Cowboys usually wear taco hats, and often, especially those from Texas, tuck their pants into their boots to show off the cute stitching. Buckaroos don't.

You must be one of those liberals. The California Rancho period was the highest level of civilization ever achieved by mankind.

You should have been able to infer from my posts that I already know the tradition, and share it, and don't give a rats hind end about most any other form of culture.

The World's finest restaurant is in Nipomo, a direct descendant of the Vaquero Tradition.

The folks who leave cities and build house on hill in rural areas show that they are "on" the land, but not "of" the land.

If I recollect correctly, Cali, or Kali is the Hindu goddess of destruction.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
How is "Cali" written on a shirt evidence that "Everyone in the world besides Columbia and this funny guy knows Cali means California."?????
Because it doesn't stand for a city in Columbia. What else could it stand for?

Old 09-25-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
This argument tells me 2 things. 1 your an idiot for getting clowned with no evidence needed. 2 you don't go to the beach often

Old 09-25-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
This argument tells me 2 things. 1 your an idiot for getting clowned with no evidence needed. 2 you don't go to the beach often
this post tells me three things: reason went right, fresnofresno went left, this is the guy that thinks there is a "hood" in Nipomo and that the NIPAs gangs are something more than strawberry pickers, and teachers need to stress the differences between your, and you're .

Old 09-25-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
this post tells me three things: reason went right, fresnofresno went left, this is the guy that thinks there is a "hood" in Nipomo and that the NIPAs gangs are something more than strawberry pickers, and teachers need to stress the differences between your, and you're .
Go tell that to Nipas 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California