Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 04:10 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
At the end of the day, California is getting a good deal with the UC system. When your lowest rated UC is ranked 46 out of over 1600 public schools, that is pretty amazing. The top 6 UC's are top 10.

UC Santa Cruz is not bad, it ranks up there with University of Arizona or University of Illinois Chicago. It's a solid second tier school, IMO.
Absolutely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 04:15 PM

A lot of people forget about UCSF in San Francisco, which is a pioneer in medical research. And also UC Hastings in San Francisco, which is a pretty good law school.

Old 09-23-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenview94602 View Post
1. UC Merced could not have been ranked in 2002 as they opened their doors in 2005.
2. I may be a homer and a proud Alum but UC Davis is the UC for Sacramento and to a lesser extent the exurbs of the Bay Area (Solano/parts of Napa). Davis is a great place to live with highly ranked schools as well.
3. As someone from Oakland/Berkeley who didn't attend or apply to Cal (but practically lived in downtown Berkeley all the time and spent nearly every Saturday at California Memorial Stadium), it is kind of shocking to see UCLA more popular than Berkeley. Berkeley is my hometown and birth city so I am passionate about this too. I understand the population base of southern CA, but it is UC Berkeley that is the true flagship of the state and one of the greatest schools in the world. I am shocked UCLA is more popular in applications. The culture there seems superficial.
4. I say this all the time, but my dad attended UCSC in the 70's and got into several other UCs though I don't know which ones. He studied environmental science (maybe?) and has had some really great jobs in Biotech in the Bay over his career. All UCs are good and UCSC was also recently named an AAU school. Grad school is important too and some places don't care about Undergrad place of study.

Lastly: Fight for California!!!!
"Superficial" ?

That's a dated view that Nor Cal people have of Los Angeles and So Cal.

Superficiality is just as much of an issue in the Bay Area nowadays, as it is in LA.

There's a large contingent of people in the Bay who are superficial about being "woke" to the point of ridiculousness.

Old 09-24-2021, 12:28 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
There's plenty of land space left in UC Riverside for future new campus housing:

https://www.pe.com/2021/09/21/uc-riv...fety-measures/

See the main photo... I don't see "dummy" students anymore, far different than in 2002 when I checked in for orientation.

(One example I still remember today is former Hispanic gang students with tattoo on body checking into dorm orientation. I spoke with 2 students that came from east LA, while I was lining up to get my keys. I don't think they had over 3.00 HS GPA.)
Thanks for the link...UCR Chancellor Kim Wilcox as Mr. Rogers is different lol. Barely recognize the campus now (has grown five fold since I was there)...one of the fastest growing UC's for a reason. Will have to check out the campus again one of these days and hopefully not get lost there. ALL of the UC's are opportunities for a quality education and relatively cost effective for California residents.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:02 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
I've noticed lack of "wows" lately coming from UC Berkeley, UC Davis, and UC Santa Cruz campuses. They are expected to be downgraded by US News & Report in future rankings.

I think UC Santa Barbara will dethrone UC Berkeley as the new #2 best UC campus...
Are you perhaps a little biased, waltchan? No way will that ever happen.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:35 AM

426 posts, read 352,893 times
Quote:
You CAN'T predict the future. Time will tell...
And neither can you. Although you seem more than happy to come up with wild ideas about the fall of UCLA and the rise of UCR.

Old 09-24-2021, 10:15 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,942,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
And neither can you. Although you seem more than happy to come up with wild ideas about the fall of UCLA and the rise of UCR.
And the rise of UC Santa Barbara too. As long as Henry Yang remains chancellor (since 1994, now America's longest-running), UCSB may dethrone UCB as the new #2 best UC campus after UCLA. He is credited for eliminating "dummy student" applicants entirely, starting with the 1995 admissions process. By 2000, acceptance rate was below 50%, a dramatic big drop from 87% acceptance rate in 1993, largest drop in the whole United States at that time. By 2022, UCSB dethroned UCSD as the new #3 best UC.

Readers will decide what I write, but I will always stand by with my forecasts.

Last edited by waltchan; 09-24-2021 at 10:44 AM..

Old 09-24-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Are you perhaps a little biased, waltchan? No way will that ever happen.
My forecasts are based on the 50-year median average from US News & Report college rankings. Did you know in 1970, UC Santa Barbara was at the bottom and the worst-ranked UC campus, worse than UC Riverside, actually. Mostly due to the 1970 Bank of America riots in Isla Vista, and then UCSB got a bad-rep throughout the whole 1970s until mid-1980s.

https://www.independent.com/2020/02/...th-anniversay/

Since 1970, UCSB is now the fastest-growing UC ranked campus. By 2015, UCSB dethroned UCI as the new #4 best UC campus. By 2022, UCSB dethroned UCSD as the new #3 best UC campus. Get the picture...

Last edited by waltchan; 09-24-2021 at 10:45 AM..

Old 09-24-2021, 12:42 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Did you know in 1970, UC Santa Barbara was at the bottom and the worst-ranked UC campus, worse than UC Riverside, actually.
Do you have a link to this statement? I can't find anything about UC rankings that far back.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Do you have a link to this statement? I can't find anything about UC rankings that far back.
These were all based by predictions using my most accurate forecast. The first-edition US News & Report best colleges started in 1983. The first official, printed rankings began in 1987. Anything before 1983, it's all prediction using variables.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...leges-rankings

Stanford used to be #1 in the 1980s, until the mid-1990s. Today, Princeton takes over as #1 (used to be #4 in the 1980s).

While we actually don't know UCSB's actual ranking in the 1970s, history shows that it was a rather violent, poorly-ran, and unorderly campus. Chancellors resigned constantly. These factors, surely, would not have given a great UCSB ranking at that time, and it could be the lowest-ranked UC campus of the 1970s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...rch_university

Since 1994 (when Henry Yang took over as chancellor), UCSB is all UP yearly now, and acceptance rate plummeted from 87% in 1993 to 49% in 2000. That's why he's here for so long now. I was not accepted to UCSB for the fall 2002 application, because I was born 9 years late.

Last edited by waltchan; 09-24-2021 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California