Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 01:21 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,943,367 times

Advertisements

Well, US News just released the new 2022 edition of each UC campus ranking:

https://www.universityofcalifornia.e...leges-rankings

One thing I've noticed is UC Santa Cruz is now the worst and least-prestigious UC campus. It is no longer Merced or Riverside anymore. Times have changed now... What does this mean for the future of Santa Cruz campus, and will it have a bleak future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 01:37 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Only the University of California Davis is consistently rated number ONE in the the WORLD, not just in the country but #1 in the world for at least one discipline.

that would be for Veterinary Medicine.

You can't say that about any of the other UC Colleges.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:02 PM

130 posts, read 159,829 times
I'm not to surprised all the UCs are top notch. California isn't ranked number one in the world with the best public university system for a reason. I think they should build a UC Fresno spread out through downtown fresno that is largest in the state on campus and online is availabe at zero to low cost under 1k per grade year. Just have to fight off the unions and special interest who have money to lose from the student debt business.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:19 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,052,235 times
UC Santa Cruz seems like it has become the catch-all for directionless Liberal Arts majors within the UC system.

I had a conversation with a current UC Santa Cruz student back in March and it wasn't very flattering.

When I asked him what his declared major was, he said "I don't know...I kinda like history, but I'm not really into learning about dead white males either..."

If the conversation I had was indicative of what the student population looks like, I can see why it has faltered so much in rankings.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:25 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
UC Santa Cruz seems like it has become the catch-all for directionless Liberal Arts majors within the UC system.

I had a conversation with a current UC Santa Cruz student back in March and it wasn't very flattering.

When I asked him what his declared major was, he said "I don't know...I kinda like history, but I'm not really into learning about dead white males either..."

If the conversation I had was indicative of what the student population looks like, I can see why it has faltered so much in rankings.
UC system is way too expensive for directionless kids who don't even know what they want to major in, community college all the way for this type of student.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:30 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,052,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
UC system is way too expensive for directionless kids who don't even know what they want to major in, community college all the way for this type of student.
You would think...?

Turns out this kid was in the top 10% of seniors in his high school, which is how he was awarded a grant to attend UCSC. Yet, if you look at the high school scores where he graduated, they are abysmal. So, I digress...

Old 09-16-2021, 02:37 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
UCSD needs to stop expanding and letting in so many people in.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:59 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,655,633 times
As a UC Riverside alumnus from a long time ago (like you waltchan)...the campus has risen another 5 spots (to #83 now)...the most out of any UC school. Number one in the nation in Social Mobility...for the third year in a row. Still feel that the campus gets down scored some due to the inland empire location, but will take the consistent gains due to solid growth (barely recognize the campus now) and the first new California Medical school in 50 years...UCR is positioned very well to continue onward and upward in a big way. Enjoyed my time and received a solid education there...go Highlanders!

As for UC Santa Cruz, they have been dropping (now #103) due to no real growth, somewhat isolated location, teacher strikes, protests, very expensive lack of affordable housing, and overall stagnation that needs to be turned around. The newest UC Merced jumped past them since they don't have these issues and have rapid growth. Regardless, although UC Santa Cruz is in a bit of a funk, it is a UC school...they are ALL good. Santa Cruz will eventually resolve their issues, and turn things around. The University of California System is the best public system in the world...a student will receive a solid,
affordable education at any of the 9 locations.

https://www.universityofcalifornia.e...rsity-rankings

Last edited by Fisherman99; 09-17-2021 at 12:11 AM..

Old 09-17-2021, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
As a UC Riverside alumnus from a long time ago (like you waltchan)...the campus has risen another 5 spots (to #83 now)...the most out of any UC school. Number one in the nation in Social Mobility...for the third year in a row. Still feel that the campus gets down scored some due to the inland empire location, but will take the consistent gains due to solid growth (barely recognize the campus now) and the first new California Medical school in 50 years...UCR is positioned very well to continue onward and upward in a big way. Enjoyed my time and received a solid education there...go Highlanders!

As for UC Santa Cruz, they have been dropping (now #103) due to no real growth, somewhat isolated location, teacher strikes, protests, very expensive lack of affordable housing, and overall stagnation that needs to be turned around. The newest UC Merced jumped past them since they don't have these issues and have rapid growth. Regardless, although UC Santa Cruz is in a bit of a funk, it is a UC school...they are ALL good. Santa Cruz will eventually resolve their issues, and turn things around. The University of California System is the best public system in the world...a student will receive a solid,
affordable education at any of the 9 locations.

https://www.universityofcalifornia.e...rsity-rankings
Housing costs in Riverside are considered to be "very-low" by California standards, despite home prices are getting up there fast while still above the USA median average. UC office regents are aware of this problem, so they now shift more resources into Riverside campus with new infrastructure instead of Santa Cruz now.

Most homes in Santa Cruz now cost over $2 million for the decent ones, much more expensive than Irvine, actually. Not an easy way to maintain a student social livable scene here, because they move out too fast to other cities and abandon Santa Cruz. Riverside is doing better now, so more graduates will stay and buy houses here, and invest in the city.

Santa Cruz: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...16100513_zpid/
Riverside: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...25152876_zpid/

Go figure... In the long run, it's possible that UC Santa Cruz will be renamed and downgraded into CSU Santa Cruz, or they close the campus. Highest home/rental prices with a worst UC ranking don't pair well together. More people will lose interest. Great news for UC Merced today.

(It's possible that UC Merced can beat UC Riverside in the rankings by year 2030).

Last edited by waltchan; 09-17-2021 at 02:18 AM..

Old 09-17-2021, 01:53 AM

US News & Report UC undergraduate ranking history (in-order):

1992:

1. Berkeley
2. Los Angeles
3. San Diego
4. Irvine
5. Davis
6. Santa Barbara
7. Santa Cruz
8. Riverside

About 20 years ago when I was applying to universities, this was the UC ranking by US News & Report at that time (in-order):

2002:

1. Berkeley
2. Los Angeles
3. San Diego
4. Santa Barbara
5. Irvine
6. Davis
7. Santa Cruz
8. Riverside
9. Merced

2012:

1. Los Angeles
2. Berkeley
3. San Diego
4. Santa Barbara
5. Irvine
6. Davis
7. Santa Cruz
8. Riverside
9. Merced

2022 (today):

1. Los Angeles
2. Berkeley
3. Santa Barbara
4. San Diego
5. Irvine
6. Davis
7. Riverside
8. Merced
9. Santa Cruz

Only UC campuses with unchanged ranking after 20 years are Irvine and Davis. All others have flipped, gained, or lost.

2032 (forecast):

1. Los Angeles
2. Berkeley
3. Santa Barbara
4. Irvine
5. San Diego
6. Davis
7. Merced
8. Riverside
9. Santa Cruz

2042 (forecast):

1. Los Angeles
2. Santa Barbara
3. Berkeley
4. Irvine
5. San Diego
6. Merced
7. Riverside
8. Davis
9. Santa Cruz

By 2042, I think UC Santa Barbara will dethrone UC Berkeley as the new #2 best UC campus. Santa Barbara is currently the fastest-growing ranking UC campus, since 1990, when it once peaked with a 85% acceptance rate in 1993, and it was ranked below Irvine too. Not anymore today...

By 2042, I think UC Davis will move down 2 places and become the 2nd worst UC campus, because the UC regents want to invest more in UC Merced for first-time generation Hispanic students, eliminate poverty, and the land location is centrally better than UC Davis where it is at. Merced is closer to Yosemite National Park. Merced will also have a high-speed rail train stop, while Davis won't get one. It's also much easier to build new buildings in Merced than in Davis.

Bottom line, southern California UC campuses will continue to see upsides, while northern California UC campuses will be seeing downgrades. This is due to birth rate difference. San Francisco city has a very-low birth rate. Riverside/San Bernardino will continue to have a modest birth rate.

Last edited by waltchan; 09-17-2021 at 03:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California