Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 05:42 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost87 View Post
Hypocrisy is unbelievable.

Mandate a vaccine yet exempt the teachers?

Not sure what you read, but no.

This mandate, however, doesn’t just put the responsibility on students. All public school employees will be required to be vaccinated as soon as the mandate takes effect for students. Until now, teachers and staff were either required to be vaccinated or undergo regular testing for COVID-19; negative tests will no longer suffice.

Locally, it even includes anyone who contracts with our school district who would have reason to come onto a campus, such as those who work the afterschool 6-6 type programs. Nobody is being given a pass on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 12:53 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Wait, what? Why are we going to be firing teachers? How did we get from here to there in less than a dozen posts?
FWIW, enrollment at the schools I work for are above the 2019 numbers because the area attracts younger families and lot's of older residents have been cashing in and moving away. There are still significant staffing shortages all over, particularly in spec. ed. as is always the case. Sub pool? Forget it. The ones I see and have seen in the last year have almost all been retirees who are filling in. I agree the mandate is unnecessary right now, but it's going to happen eventually and people are going to have to make hard choices if they're on the fence about vaccines. The language of the state decree is actually less strict than LAUSD and SDUSD which both have their own district mandate too. A uniform system is better than a big patchwork of a thousand different districts with a thousand different variations of the mandate.
You must not be in SDUSD, then, because enrollment there is down by 10,000 from 2019, or about 3%. My school district has dropped around 3% as well, which is much larger than typical YOY drops since the peak in the past. (It also matches the overall state decline of 2.7%) I'm sure there are staffing shortages because teachers are quitting. Public and private education is going to shrink faster and faster, mostly due to COLA, but politically-motivated mandates don't help. We might not have to fire teachers. Maybe enough of them have already quit.

I don't know if I agree that a COVID mandate is ever going to be shown as being necessary for children. Unlike other childhood diseases for which vaccines are mandated, COVID is basically the same as a typical human coronavirus. The difference between COVID and a cold is that we haven't had a million years between the jump between animals (lab-assisted or not) to humans for the virus to eradicate (through natural selection) those who's genetics make them susceptible to dying or damage from the virus.

COVID is dangerous to adults who have the wrong genetics. It is relatively harmless to young children, as far as we can tell at this point, regardless of genetics. It's clear that there's an age at which vaccination yields positive outcomes. It's probably somewhere between 10 and 20 years old. There is not much evidence that vaccinating children against COVID has a positive outcome for them. Yes, mandating vaccines for young children has a positive outcome for adults, but that is burdening children to save adult anti-vaxxers, and I can't get on board with that without further proof that vaccinating children has a positive outcome for THEM.

With the data available, I hypothesize vaxxing my young children to be better than the tiny risk that the virus will do them long-term damage. After all, based on the reports of symptoms, it's clear that covid destroys or damages nerve and brain cells in some people, and that carries non-negligible risk of long-term damage, even for kids. At the same time, there's nothing in the vaccine that should cause long-term side-effects. So best guess is that it's better to vax. But that's still just a guess. Also, them bringing home a virus that breaks through my vax means lost work and less good stuff for the family, so two good reasons to vax.

There's not enough science yet that backs up the hypothesis that vaxxing kids is better than not for their own health. There won't be for years, and by then it will be too late. As much as I hate to borrow the language of the vaccine-hesitant, vaccinating children is a personal choice (guess) and it's going to stay that way for years, until we unwind the full impacts and risk percentages of a covid infection.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:10 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Setting aside all science, the announcement of the mandate is terrible politics as well--and it's VERY clear it was politically motivated. He wants a bullet point of being "first" for his re-election website. CA did well against COVID, especially delta, thanks to vaxxing. He's trying to squeeze a few more political miles out of the crisis before it fades into the rearview.

The problem is that Newsom thinks that 70% vaccine uptake in the general population translates into 70% support for child COVID vax mandates, and he's dead wrong. I am pretty rabidly pro-vax, and I think mandating vaccines for young children is wrong.

Now, maybe we'll get some miraculous data that shifts the landscape in favor of early childhood vax, but I doubt it. I think the CDC and AAP will probably split on vaccines for young children with the AAP taking no stance (they don't harm, but they don't help) and the CDC pushing them for the good of older unvaxxed people. It wouldn't be a surprise if the CDC and AAP only recommended vaccines for immunocompromised young children. I do not foresee a strong consensus emerging in favor of young child vax. In that case, this requirement is going to generate a lot of political fallout both for Newsom and for schools that are forced to impose it on an unwilling public.

The aftereffects of all the infighting are going to dog Newsom during his reelection campaign. Now, maybe he doesn't care. Maybe he--like a lot of bad politicians recently--thinks that dividing the country/state into red and blue camps is better for him, and public service be dammed.

I was really on the fence about the recall. I really like how Newsom handled the twin crises of 45 and COVID. I also think he's done a decent job or reining in the spendthrift and pro-crime bills blasting out of our wackadoo legislature. But politics is a "what have you done for me lately" or "what are you going to do for me tomorrow" game, and he's really screwing the pooch here, as I thought he might.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:12 PM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
So proud of California's response to Covid. Clearly, this state was born to lead.
Yup! Right off a cliff!

Old 10-04-2021, 01:25 PM

617 posts, read 538,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/a...s-16502547.php

This is going to **** off so many conservatives!
Private schools won't be exempt from this.
Prepare for a conservative Exodus, ppl.

Edit:
California Gov.*Gavin Newsom*announced Friday that his state will be the first to mandate the*COVID-19*vaccine for children in public and private schools.

Under the mandate, the COVID-19 vaccine will be added to the list of other compulsory vaccinations required for schooling such as vaccinations against measles, mumps and rubella. Newsom said that parents can claim religious and medical exemptions.*

I'm afraid even to imagine size of kickback Newsom got from the big pharma...

Old 10-04-2021, 05:08 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
You must not be in SDUSD, then, because enrollment there is down by 10,000 from 2019, or about 3%. My school district has dropped around 3% as well, which is much larger than typical YOY drops since the peak in the past. (It also matches the overall state decline of 2.7%) I'm sure there are staffing shortages because teachers are quitting. Public and private education is going to shrink faster and faster, mostly due to COLA, but politically-motivated mandates don't help. We might not have to fire teachers. Maybe enough of them have already quit.

I am in SDUSD. I think you're confused how it works when schools lose students. Classes can get reshuffled after final enrollment, but nobody is getting fired. Staff might get reassigned if it's significant. And if someone is waiting on a permanent position, it might be awhile before that happens. But that's not unusual in ordinary circumstances either. Also, the online academy has around a thousand students, iirc.

It's hard to say how the state's mandate will play out, but the district just launched their own right before anyway, and it goes further and is more restrictive than the state's. So far it doesn't look like it's scared anyone off. I don't agree that education is on the trajectory you believe it is but we'll see in a year, I suppose. It's not as doom and gloom at ground level as it may seem.

All that said, I wholeheartedly agree this all could've waited. Putting the mandate in front of full approval for all the age groups was unnecessary. This puts the pressure on the wrong end of things.

Old 10-04-2021, 05:18 PM

745 posts, read 1,324,897 times
Newsom needs to be locked up for all the deaths he's causing by his inhumane crimes and mandates.

Anyone who gets sick with any types of diseases or conditions and/or dies after getting the shots is on him.

Last edited by jlvs2run; 10-04-2021 at 06:04 PM..

Old 10-05-2021, 12:07 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,316 times

Old 10-05-2021, 10:56 PM

108 posts, read 110,851 times
I'm leaving the state next month. This is the result of these horrible policies.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:19 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
After withstanding heated debates over reopening classrooms, schools are now bearing the brunt of public anger as the pandemic continues to drag on with new variants, said Chip Slaven, interim executive director of the National School Boards Assn.

“On one hand, a statewide mandate removes some of the pressure from school boards,” Flint said. “But in areas where there is strong resistance, it could intensify the backlash.”

Last month, the California school boards organization sent a letter to Newsom asking for state intervention. Often, the letter says, school districts contact authorities to restore order to raucous meetings or to enforce mask mandates, but law enforcement declines to do so.

‘The mood is grim’: Death threats, violence, intimidation mark another pandemic school year:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...fornia-schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California