Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 09:32 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times

Advertisements

Or people I know in the Bay Area and other parts of CA.

Maybe it’s because they don’t spend time griping on Internet forums? I don’t know....

Oh wait..one couple did move to Texas to be close to their daughter and grandkids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 09:47 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Or people I know in the Bay Area and other parts of CA.

Maybe it’s because they don’t spend time griping on Internet forums? I don’t know....

Oh wait..one couple did move to Texas to be close to their daughter and grandkids.
Maybe your social circle is not very big?

Old 08-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Maybe your social circle is not very big?
Judging by what I read here, half of my friends should be planning to move out of CA. I guess I’m hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:37 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Everyone I know that is moving is punching out to retire and cashing in to never have to work again.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:44 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
I have a number of friends leaving California because I work in a white collar, global profession where the opportunity to work remote out of our homes has become available. They didn't leave because they hated California. They left because economically, their California salary buys them more somewhere else, or they were tired of Bay Area traffic and looking for a slower paced location. Many moved to be closer to family members. Many are going "back home" after moving here for jobs years ago.

Funny how people relocate around the country constantly. I have family members move from Idaho to Canada to Oregon to Washington, friends in Oregon move out of the US entirely, Texans who moved to Montana, a friend in Washington DC move to Chicago. No one bats an eyelash. But the minute someone moves out of California, it's "because California is a mess and everyone's leaving!!!"

I will never understand the hysteria people have about this state. Especially the hysteria from people who don't even live here, and probably have never even visited.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:46 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Judging by what I read here, half of my friends should be planning to move out of CA. I guess I’m hanging out with the wrong crowd.
Maybe they are secretly planning to move but don't want to incur the judgemental wraith of mr 5150 so while they talk among themselves they leave you out of the loop?

Old 08-07-2018, 10:49 AM

36 posts, read 43,928 times
We left and my husband made 130k a year. We didn't leave because we can't afford it. We both have advanced degrees. We wanted to see what it is like to live in a different state. My husband is thrilled that we left. I am not. Live and let live.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Maybe they are secretly planning to move but don't want to incur the judgemental wraith of mr 5150 so while they talk among themselves they leave you out of the loop?
More than likely, it’s because none of my friends live in LA.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:08 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpSpillz View Post
Or maybe his social circle is like mine which all includes successful college graduates with advanced professional degrees that can afford to live in CA. The vast majority of people leaving are making less than $50K a year. That's not going to cut it in LA/SF/OC/SD.

I only have two friends who left CA and didn't come back. One went to Harvard for an MD/MBA and he is going to stay in the Boston area. The other left CA during the financial crisis to go get a job in Hong Kong which greatly accelerated his career. The fact he can speak fluent Cantonese makes this much easier.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...-bay-area.html

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/06/...want-to-leave/

Forty-six percent of Bay Area residents surveyed said they are likely to move out of the region in the next few years — up from 40 percent last year and 34 percent in 2016, according to a poll released Sunday by business-backed public policy advocacy group the Bay Area Council.

“It’s so expensive,” said 38-year-old software engineer Travis Dobbs, who moved his family from Berkeley to Portland last year. “My wife and I both make good money, relatively speaking, and we can’t afford a house there.”

Good jobs or not has nothing really to do with it.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:12 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I have a number of friends leaving California because I work in a white collar, global profession where the opportunity to work remote out of our homes has become available. They didn't leave because they hated California. They left because economically, their California salary buys them more somewhere else, or they were tired of Bay Area traffic and looking for a slower paced location. Many moved to be closer to family members. Many are going "back home" after moving here for jobs years ago.

Funny how people relocate around the country constantly. I have family members move from Idaho to Canada to Oregon to Washington, friends in Oregon move out of the US entirely, Texans who moved to Montana, a friend in Washington DC move to Chicago. No one bats an eyelash. But the minute someone moves out of California, it's "because California is a mess and everyone's leaving!!!"

I will never understand the hysteria people have about this state. Especially the hysteria from people who don't even live here, and probably have never even visited.
California isn’t even in the “Top 10” states people are moving out of ...
Quote:
The states that are losing people as they move away are almost exclusively in the Northeast or the Rust Belt. The “moving out” states, according to the survey:

Illinois
New Jersey
New York
Connecticut
Kansas
Massachusetts
Ohio
Kentucky
Utah
Wisconsin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California