Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2022, 08:54 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post

As for utilities, we bought a house that's double the square footage as our old house in coastal CA. While the weather is more extreme here, our utility bills actually DECREASED! Electricity is something like $0.08 kWh here vs over $0.30 kWh back in CA.
$0.37143396 kWh currently, courtesy of SDG&E!

Old 01-27-2022, 07:29 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
Our power is solar in California

The biggest obstacle to solar in Utah was Rocky Mountain Power. For all the bashing people do to PG&E - and it’s well deserved…. They worked with us to move to solar. There was no fight. RMP wanted to run solar companies out of Utah for good.

Boise is a nice place, Kinda boring. But the prevalence of neo-Nazis and white male predominance in politics was too reminiscent of Utah. It’s also growing faster than it can manage.

Fast forward and that 3000 square foot home will be more of a burden than a blessing.

We passed on it.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:32 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
I’m glad you haven’t found much racism Futuremauian.
I am white also.
I saw and felt it in Maui.
Probably at the same area where you are at.
We have an access to a condo near the harbor just steps away from the water.

What I saw was lots of derogatory looks, racist tee shirts normally telling me to go home, the awkward quietness.
I don’t know but it was present and just ugly and I’m not hard to get along with.

Not all were like that but with the kind of things I am into like spearfishing the locals were not liking me at all.
Maybe I was treated worse than some because I wasn’t their customer or neighbor.
I don’t know.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:15 AM

1,070 posts, read 789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post

The biggest obstacle to solar in Utah was Rocky Mountain Power. For all the bashing people do to PG&E - and it’s well deserved…. They worked with us to move to solar. There was no fight. RMP wanted to run solar companies out of Utah for good.

Boise is a nice place, Kinda boring. But the prevalence of neo-Nazis and white male predominance in politics was too reminiscent of Utah. It’s also growing faster than it can manage.

Fast forward and that 3000 square foot home will be more of a burden than a blessing.

We passed on it.
I've looked into solar but it doesn't make sense here. Rates from Idaho Power are so low that it would never pencil out. Idaho already is number 2 in the nation for green energy, generating more than 80% from renewables vs. less than half in California. This is mostly due to hydro, but also a growing number of solar and wind farms along the Snake River Plain. So adding solar wouldn't just cost me more, it would probably be worse for the environment as well.

Speaking of Boise politics, I generally try to evaluate politicians based on the quality of the job they're doing, rather than sex or color of skin. Regardless, our mayor is female and city council is majority female. In my opinion they're doing a pretty good job of managing the city. I don't agree with everything they do, but compared to our old city in CA it's a master class in good governance.

Boise is TOTALLY boring, everyone should stay in exciting California Being sarcastic of course. I welcome anyone who wants to move here with open arms. Don't care where you're from or even the color of your skin.

We don't plan on staying in the large home long term. It's great while we have kids, and for hosting large gatherings. But once the kids are out our plan is to cash out, take the capital gains exclusion, then downsize.

Last edited by AnythingOutdoors; 01-27-2022 at 08:37 AM..

Old 01-27-2022, 08:34 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:

We passed on it.
Wow, not the same report my buddy who is Iranian that just moved there has to say. Not even close for a Boise review.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:59 AM
mlb

Well, I know people who have lived in Boise for very long time. And left.

And living adjacent in Utah we had first hand info from friends who were from there.

To each their own.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:17 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:

And living adjacent in Utah we had first hand info from friends who were from there.

To each their own.
I'm in Utah multiple times a year with many friends there. That would also be an awkward accusation for Utah or Idaho. Some of the nicest people I've ever met. Let's just say if you are broke down on the road it won't be for long.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:19 AM

1,070 posts, read 789,860 times
Quote:

To each their own.
Respectfully, it sounds like your friends may not be a good source of information. If you're going to insinuate that a place is racist and or sexist you better be prepared to back it up with evidence. I grew up in Prundale, CA and can honestly say there's less bigotry in Boise proper (of course, the 'burbs and more rural areas are a different matter, but that's not unique to ID).

Also, no idea how anyone can be even remotely bored here. Even though I'm retired, between the vibrant downtown, numerous cultural events, and great outdoors, I still don't have time to do it all.

Maybe these types of things aren't your jam. Nothing wrong with that, Boise just isn't the right city for you. As you say, to each their own.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:28 AM
mlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Respectfully, it sounds like your friends may not be a good source of information. If you're going to insinuate that a place is racist and or sexist you better be prepared to back it up with evidence. I grew up in Prundale, CA and can honestly say there's less bigotry in Boise proper (of course, the 'burbs and more rural areas are a different matter, but that's not unique to ID).

Also, no idea how anyone can be even remotely bored here. Even though I'm retired, between the vibrant downtown, numerous cultural events, and great outdoors, I still don't have time to do it all.

Maybe these types of things aren't your jam. Nothing wrong with that, Boise just isn't the right city for you. As you say, to each their own.
Well - the gay men I worked with who moved from there would beg to differ.

Certainly LDS people are nice. I am not branding them.

but there are lunatics who have jumped off the right wing edge….and they seem to congregate in Idaho.

I am also reminded of a Utah coworker - who was born in the Bay Area - who moved to Northern Idaho to “escape the diversity”.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:31 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
My expansive rural view from our Northern Monterey County deck:
That’s a nice view. Being close to Monterey is a great place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California