Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2022, 12:45 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
I can confirm something similar here in SW Idaho, with a number of acquaintances that moved from VHCOL areas (mostly Bay Area and NYC) who are now disgruntled about the housing situation. They seem to have come under the mistaken belief that they could get a phenomenal property for relatively little money. Like, lake front or amazing views of the city lights for $1M. I find this boarding on arrogance, as if selling a house in CA or NY means the world is your oyster or something. Sorry folks, price of entry for that kind of property starts at more like $2M-$3M (and higher in popular areas), even in Idaho.

It is possible to find acreage in rural areas for much less, but the romance fades pretty quickly once you realize how remote and inaccessible everything is, especially during winter. There's a reason these places cost a lot less.
Yep, the same is true for the nicer parts of WA and OR. While prices are lower than the popular places in CA near big features like oceanfront or lakefront properties, there still are multi-million$ homes on the water with views. Though, I think there was a time not as long ago when these home owners got in before the rapid value increases we've seen over the last ~ 5-10 years. So, it's not as far fetched as reasonable prices in CA for killer view properties.

I'm not sure where you could go now if have to have a Big ocean, lake or river view in a nice area - close to amenities, somewhat upscale (decent schools, lower crime, nice places to walk and take in the scenery).

I'm thinking maybe areas in the south would be the closest to this still in places such as FL, Georgia or the Carolinas. While RE is going up everywhere, one could still sell their CA home and get something really nice in those states with views and water access or something good in the PNW, just not right on the water. That is unless a bit more remote. Here's an area I was eyeing while out paddling on the Oregon coast with beautiful lake front properties just blocks away from the ocean. Its a pretty sweet spot with some homes under $1M.

Derek

Old 02-02-2022, 08:37 AM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yep, the same is true for the nicer parts of WA and OR. While prices are lower than the popular places in CA near big features like oceanfront or lakefront properties, there still are multi-million$ homes on the water with views. Though, I think there was a time not as long ago when these home owners got in before the rapid value increases we've seen over the last ~ 5-10 years. So, it's not as far fetched as reasonable prices in CA for killer view properties.
The last time these kinds of places were somewhat affordable was the aftermath of the financial crisis. Now, with the pandemic migration, it seems even stuff somewhat removed from big features is also far more expensive. Pretty much all of North Idaho is completely nuts right now.

Quote:
I'm not sure where you could go now if have to have a Big ocean, lake or river view in a nice area - close to amenities, somewhat upscale (decent schools, lower crime, nice places to walk and take in the scenery).

I'm thinking maybe areas in the south would be the closest to this still in places such as FL, Georgia or the Carolinas. While RE is going up everywhere, one could still sell their CA home and get something really nice in those states with views and water access or something good in the PNW, just not right on the water. That is unless a bit more remote. Here's an area I was eyeing while out paddling on the Oregon coast with beautiful lake front properties just blocks away from the ocean. Its a pretty sweet spot with some homes under $1M.
For lakefront, Minnesota and Wisconsin. If rivers are your jam, the Ozarks.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:55 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
The last time these kinds of places were somewhat affordable was the aftermath of the financial crisis. Now, with the pandemic migration, it seems even stuff somewhat removed from big features is also far more expensive. Pretty much all of North Idaho is completely nuts right now.

For lakefront, Minnesota and Wisconsin. If rivers are your jam, the Ozarks.
As a former Minnesotan, I suspect you haven’t
A) priced lakefront recently
B) lived with the blackfiles, mosquitoes, or 7-8 months of winter?

Ozarks? I dunno. But I have a sneaking suspicion the mosquitoes there can devour a wild hog in one sitting too …

Old 02-02-2022, 09:15 AM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
As a former Minnesotan, I suspect you haven’t
A) priced lakefront recently
B) lived with the blackfiles, mosquitoes, or 7-8 months of winter?

Ozarks? I dunno. But I have a sneaking suspicion the mosquitoes there can devour a wild hog in one sitting too …
Not saying it's cheap, but way less than lakefront in the Intermountain West. You can still find waterfront homes in MN for under $1M. That just doesn't happen in the West right now.

Water almost always means insects. They may be generally worse in the Midwest, but mountain areas also get terrible mosquitoes during the summer hatch. Same with biting blackflies. Mountain areas also experience long winters. For all these reasons, I don't want to live on a lake or in the mountains, prefer living in a city within easy access to visit mountains and lakes. But for whatever reason, people still want a mountain home on a lake, and they're willing to pay a lot for it. To each their own, I guess.

Last edited by AnythingOutdoors; 02-02-2022 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-02-2022, 11:31 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
Quote:

Derek
So, what's your deal Derek?

Are you trying to hawk real estate, or what?

Old 02-02-2022, 11:43 AM

52 posts, read 31,704 times
My wife and I are from Central FL and have been here in San Diego area since 2014. We've lived in FL, AL, GA, SC, TN, KY, AZ, and KS. I work in Aerospace so we are looking to move to another Aerospace hub that is affordable. We don't particularly care for snow after living in KS for 6 years. Top spots for us are Tucson, AZ in the west and Huntsville, AL east. I don't like the humidity out east, but Huntsville is a unique place since there are twice the number of Aerospace jobs there as in San Diego with incomes equally as high as here in San Diego but the home prices and cost of living is very low. I could buy a brand new 5 bedroom 4 bathroom 3 car garage 4000 sq ft. manor on 1+ acre there for less than my 42 year old 1479 sq ft. home I own here (inland) and still keep my same income. So yea we are probably going to move.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:42 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
When I was still working in San Francisco I had coworkers ask if my Washington place cost “what like a hundred grand?”.
Even today some people in the San Francisco area think they are giving these places away.

Yup!
You get 80 acres and 2 mules.
Just put your mark right here .

Old 02-02-2022, 02:19 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmaxus View Post
My wife and I are from Central FL and have been here in San Diego area since 2014. We've lived in FL, AL, GA, SC, TN, KY, AZ, and KS. I work in Aerospace so we are looking to move to another Aerospace hub that is affordable. We don't particularly care for snow after living in KS for 6 years. Top spots for us are Tucson, AZ in the west and Huntsville, AL east. I don't like the humidity out east, but Huntsville is a unique place since there are twice the number of Aerospace jobs there as in San Diego with incomes equally as high as here in San Diego but the home prices and cost of living is very low. I could buy a brand new 5 bedroom 4 bathroom 3 car garage 4000 sq ft. manor on 1+ acre there for less than my 42 year old 1479 sq ft. home I own here (inland) and still keep my same income. So yea we are probably going to move.
Great choice. I just bought a house in Huntsville with 3+2.5, 2,100 sq ft on a 2 acre lot for $217K.

Been to Tucson, meh, the landscape would drive me crazy.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmaxus View Post
Wow, you've lived in a lot of states! Far more than most. While I've visited some of those states, I've never lived there. As one who loves the ocean, relative proximity is a requirement for me. So, FL, GA, NC, SC would all be options if moving east. We have family in Ft. Walton Beach FL. They're retired military and also lived in many states before settling down there for their retirement years.

Huntsville does have a lot of work. I know folks who have moved there for the good paying aerospace jobs. They have the US Space and Rocket center right there as well. What are the outdoor activities like?

Derek

Old 02-02-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
So, what's your deal Derek?

Are you trying to hawk real estate, or what?
Seriously? What a silly post. I'm not sure why the apparent hostility. I can assure you there's no 'deal' or devious plot here, apple. lol I'm simply having a normal conversation with other adults in the room. Have a good night.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California