Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2022, 07:57 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmaxus View Post
If I was retiring which I'm far from being only 39:
Prescott/Cottonwood, AZ
Sierra Vista/Benson, AZ
Los Alamos, NM
St. George, UT

We are considering moving in two years out of SD CA area and since I work in Aerospace top destinations are:
Huntsville, AL
Colorado Springs, CO
Tucson, AZ
That is a pretty AMAZING list. Especially for somebody that works in Aerospace.

As a forester, with the exception of Huntsville, Alabama all those were on my original list.

BUT, they are ALL very different HUMAN communities. The one thing they have in common is that they are in interesting ecological communities.

Hey, throw the one you missed onto the list....Silver City, New Mexico.

How in the world did you come up with that list working in Aerospace??/

Old 03-16-2022, 11:40 AM

52 posts, read 31,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
That is a pretty AMAZING list. Especially for somebody that works in Aerospace.

As a forester, with the exception of Huntsville, Alabama all those were on my original list.

BUT, they are ALL very different HUMAN communities. The one thing they have in common is that they are in interesting ecological communities.

Hey, throw the one you missed onto the list....Silver City, New Mexico.

How in the world did you come up with that list working in Aerospace??/
If I could live anywhere not dependent on a job I would live in the High Desert and Silver City would probably be a good spot. The cities I listed that I'm currently looking at moving to are due to their Aerospace industries and the type of Aerospace I work in. I don't work in Aerospace manufacturing or civilian/airline which would be more like cities of Seattle, Atlanta, Wichita, Dallas, etc. Many people don't know this but Huntsville, AL is like the Aerospace mecca of the Southeastern U.S. and called Rocket City for a reason, and probably has more jobs in Aerospace than San Diego. All of the Army's Aviation and Missile is managed there, NASA (more employees in Huntsville than Kennedy in FL), Missile Defense Agency, Redstone Research park is filled with hundreds of Aerospace companies with all the big names there. The United States Space Force was selected to move to Huntsville but the fight in the Senate continues between its current location in Colorado Springs which is another location on my list since it has so much space and other Aerospace jobs. Tucson is home to Raytheon. I'll probably land in Huntsville.

Old 03-17-2022, 11:06 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmaxus View Post
If I could live anywhere not dependent on a job I would live in the High Desert and Silver City would probably be a good spot. The cities I listed that I'm currently looking at moving to are due to their Aerospace industries and the type of Aerospace I work in. I don't work in Aerospace manufacturing or civilian/airline which would be more like cities of Seattle, Atlanta, Wichita, Dallas, etc. Many people don't know this but Huntsville, AL is like the Aerospace mecca of the Southeastern U.S. and called Rocket City for a reason, and probably has more jobs in Aerospace than San Diego. All of the Army's Aviation and Missile is managed there, NASA (more employees in Huntsville than Kennedy in FL), Missile Defense Agency, Redstone Research park is filled with hundreds of Aerospace companies with all the big names there. The United States Space Force was selected to move to Huntsville but the fight in the Senate continues between its current location in Colorado Springs which is another location on my list since it has so much space and other Aerospace jobs. Tucson is home to Raytheon. I'll probably land in Huntsville.
Good summary of Huntsville.

I talked about Huntsville jobs in post 214 with link below.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/62827891-post214.html

Aerospace jobs in the Southland are going away. Major companies such as General Dynamics, Rockwell, and McDonnell Douglas were sold to Lockheed Martin and Boeing and the jobs were moved to places like Denver and Huntsville.

Huntsville enjoys a low COL at a price unimaginable for folks in SoCal. In today's prices, you can still get a 2,000 - 3,000 sq ft SFH in the mid-$300K. You are pretty much guarantee a job if you have a current security clearance.

The latest news is FBI is moving into Huntsville. They current have ~1,200 people and plan to build up to 5,200. They have the state-of-art Bomb school and will build a training facility like the one in Quantico.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:33 AM

631 posts, read 297,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredat44 View Post
I was in California 50' 60' 70' moved away, traveled the world, came back for a while Lived in LA, OC, and San Diego. when I wasn't in Europe, or traveling to other places. I finally left for good, and enjoy the Great PNW. I have family in California. I hate worrying about my family that is there... It boggles my mind why the people there still support Democrats as the world is really in the crapper and getting worse. I hear that the people there just drink the kool-aide and refuse to learn the mistakes they make. I already had connections here, so I am not an invader, I just came back after many decades. I love 4 seasons. No smog control needed for cars, open spaces, no traffic signals out in the countryside. No water shortage. Nicer people, no gangs in the countryside. There are hoards of gangs in the larger cities with mobs that outvote us as they vote in really bad Democrats, while the rest of the state I am in are conservative. Evern as Democrats ruin everything the really crazy liberals band together and try to destroy the conservative towns and cities. But we still have large areas of decent places away from those crazy larger towns that are horribly with crime and all the stuff like in California. Just try to stay away from place like Portland. Life can be great staying away from the liberal cities. There are zillions of jobs. I am retired. Being a disabled veteran my days are over for traveling, I am in paradise, and don't have to go the bad places very often at all. I did my time. I saw the world, and the younger generation is in deep doo-doo if they continue voting in very bad people.
Believe it or not, some of us really like California and living in liberal states/cities. We would not have it any other way. Personally, I would hate to live in a conservative city and state. It's like they all want to go back to the stone age and live like neanderthals. They're afraid of everything including their own shadows. It's like a mental illness or something. I don't think overwhelmingly conservative states contribute much to society. They're always the poorest and least educated. Then you have the racist gangs that hate and attack anything not conservative. If someone has a real education, they'll probably be attacked for that. Conservatives just want to live in the past and never innovate, evolve or advance. yet they act like they created all the technology and companies that they use. Then their leaders like trump, putin, stalin, and ah, are some of the worst villains the world has ever seen.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:46 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Reno is grossly overpriced for what it offers. Granted, Lake Tahoe is nearby, but still...
It certainly is, but Reno is like that. When housing tanked during the recession Reno had huge numbers of foreclosures and then when some tech companies moved in housing prices increased by 15%-20% a year.
The problem is that the majority of those tech jobs don't pay enough to support a 600k mortgage. Now rental prices have skyrocketed too and most of the old weekly motels that housed lower wage workers have been demolished and replaced by nothing other than a developer's promise of some kind of new wonderland project called "the Neon line" So now the displaced elderly and low wage workers are leaving the state if they can, or living in their cars or squatting on BLM land

https://medium.com/the-reynolds-medi...s-1889daa19026

Old 03-19-2022, 05:51 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Good summary of Huntsville.

I talked about Huntsville jobs in post 214 with link below.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/62827891-post214.html

Aerospace jobs in the Southland are going away. Major companies such as General Dynamics, Rockwell, and McDonnell Douglas were sold to Lockheed Martin and Boeing and the jobs were moved to places like Denver and Huntsville.

Huntsville enjoys a low COL at a price unimaginable for folks in SoCal. In today's prices, you can still get a 2,000 - 3,000 sq ft SFH in the mid-$300K. You are pretty much guarantee a job if you have a current security clearance.

The latest news is FBI is moving into Huntsville. They current have ~1,200 people and plan to build up to 5,200. They have the state-of-art Bomb school and will build a training facility like the one in Quantico.
Wow, more gov't jobs moving to Huntsville, apparently. The FBI sounds like a big one among others. COL is definitely cheaper considering other aerospace/gov't job locations. I would rather live there than places like CO where we've lived before. Living a mile high+ on the continental divide gets old and its too far removed from everything else. Plus, there is no coast reachable even with a long drive. At least from Huntsville you can head to Pensacola Florida for the weekend in ~ 5-6 hours.

Derek

Old 03-21-2022, 07:22 AM

1,952 posts, read 828,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesBoy View Post
Believe it or not, some of us really like California and living in liberal states/cities. We would not have it any other way. Personally, I would hate to live in a conservative city and state. It's like they all want to go back to the stone age and live like neanderthals. They're afraid of everything including their own shadows. It's like a mental illness or something. I don't think overwhelmingly conservative states contribute much to society. They're always the poorest and least educated. Then you have the racist gangs that hate and attack anything not conservative. If someone has a real education, they'll probably be attacked for that. Conservatives just want to live in the past and never innovate, evolve or advance. yet they act like they created all the technology and companies that they use. Then their leaders like trump, putin, stalin, and ah, are some of the worst villains the world has ever seen.

I love the "I don't think conservative states contribute much" line.

The Texas and Florida peeps are laughing at you.

Why do so many blue-staters think every conservative state is AL or MS?

...you need to get out more.

Old 03-21-2022, 05:14 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Texas and Florida have huge, huge problems if you have a uterus, are gay, or don't have white skin.

L
O
L

Old 03-21-2022, 06:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Ugh, I've spent way too much time down there and with each passing visit, I genuinely wonder if I would be happier living in...shudder...Texas

Florida is fine for a visit, but living there would be awful for me. As sad as it sounds, the Orlando region (despite having the worst weather and being a Mecca for Disney obsessed tourists) is probably the most livable metro, and perhaps small pockets of Fort Lauderdale and St Pete wouldn't be so bad. On the other hand, Miami proper is completely unlivable unless you're LatinX and OK with hearing nothing but Spanish and treated like a foreigner if you're Anglo (I happen to speak pretty good Spanish and yet people still treat me like garbage wherever I go). Jacksonville is redneck central. Tampa is depressing. The panhandle is too remote. Gainesville and Tallahassee are overgrown college towns.

If you want coastal living in the SE, NC/SC and even parts of GA offer a way nicer quality of life. If you want swamp life, Louisiana is the better choice, too.
Maybe it's because you use the term "Latinx"...

Old 03-21-2022, 06:35 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Texas and Florida have huge, huge problems if you have a uterus, are gay, or don't have white skin.
Wait, weren't you just complaining up thread that being white was the problem you had while visiting FL? They were ignoring you even though you spoke good Spanish? Sorry, but that sounds like a contradiction to a white favoritism type environment and racial intolerance stereotype. Texas has huge Latin populations as well, not just all white folk. We're a mixed family of both Latin (myself), my wife (anglo) and our kids which look in between. I didn't notice a hint of that while visiting FL. And I'm pretty sure both states have their fair share of females who enjoy living there though I haven't checked on their gay populations. Of course, they are both red states which I'm sure is a big turn off for some. I personally don't pick a state based upon political colors. But I know its much more important for others. Some Californians leave for that reason, to be in a more conservation state. While others don't really care. So, I guess its to each their own for those reasons/preferences.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California