Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick a luxury home
Sacramento 6 42.86%
Fresno 2 14.29%
Folsom 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 03:09 AM

2,893 posts, read 1,994,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Just to keep things in perspective . . . the Sacramento house exterior isn't exactly outdated for what it is. It's a historic/vintage house built in 1920. That was one of the popular styles in that era 100 years ago.

Aside from that I'll pass on all of them and hold out for the Carmel one, even though I know it's not officially in the game.
Exterior doesn't match the interior tho. And You can put additions on the exterior to modernize it. I like when developers/flippers do it. It makes it look like a new house. It's just not commonly done because of costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 09:17 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Haha, Carmel for win!! lol

Sorry to throw in that wildcard, BTW. But if we're talking fantasy $million homes, that's where my mind goes pretty quickly leaving the rest as a far distant afterthought. Just a preference, of course. I can feel that clean, ocean breeze coming through the window now whether during the peak of summer or middle of winter.

Here was a view from our home in Monterey. The sights, sound of the waves breaking at night and feel of sand under one's feet. It was magic no four walls anywhere could replace.

And of course a walk along the beach in Carmel, priceless.

Derek
Carmel is a tough one to beat. I've even considered just having a condo if that meant that I could live there. But, since I'd miss being able to garden, that isn't really a viable option for me. But one can dream!

Love your photos - they always make my day!

Old 01-07-2022, 09:34 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Exterior doesn't match the interior tho. And You can put additions on the exterior to modernize it. I like when developers/flippers do it. It makes it look like a new house. It's just not commonly done because of costs.
I suspect that they were constrained by the city's limitations on a house of that age. I think they did what they could with the exterior - the paint/trim is more modern than not, the landscaping is certainly a current style, the walkway is current, as is the fencing around the deck in the back. That's the original chimney - I think if they'd been able to do a complete modernization outside they would have done something to bring the chimney into today's esthetics. It's a total giveaway to its age. I don't get the rather rustic front door. Knotty wood? Really? That doesn't make sense to me. The front door style, otherwise, is more of a modern touch. There are a lot of front doors that would have been a happier blend between its original era and modern. Just plain black or a compatible color would have been just fine.

I totally agree with you on the interior not matching. Yes, they've kept some design elements from its first life, like the fireplace (even though now painted gray which is OK), and have harked back to a number of other historical aspects here and there. Maybe a better solution would have been to not go quite so modern - sort of a harmony of old and new to a more moderate degree. Of course, much of the very modern feel is staging, so there's that. JMHO.

Old 01-07-2022, 01:39 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
The Folsom house, but that baby poop color would have to go and that interior needs a complete remodel - something lighter and contemporary. The location is awesome though.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:00 PM

478 posts, read 690,029 times
Fresno house is the best, Folsom house is best location. Sacramento house is nice but just lacks the grandeur of the other 2 in both housing and the lot it sits on.

Long term though Folsom house is just the logical answer. As someone said, it looks more tract, but Folsom is always seen as a desirable city all together. Where as fresno house has the disadvantage of having a fresno city address and the negative stigma that goes with it. Not realizing for the many ignorant people out there that 93711 is one of the rich zip codes in fresno.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:37 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
Fresno house is the best, Folsom house is best location. Sacramento house is nice but just lacks the grandeur of the other 2 in both housing and the lot it sits on.

Long term though Folsom house is just the logical answer. As someone said, it looks more tract, but Folsom is always seen as a desirable city all together. Where as fresno house has the disadvantage of having a fresno city address and the negative stigma that goes with it. Not realizing for the many ignorant people out there that 93711 is one of the rich zip codes in fresno.
It sounds like the Beverly Hills of Fresno right there!

When I worked in real estate appraisal in LA, I used to joke about appraising high end homes in the east LA area. Even inter city locations had their own 'posh' sections where the mayor and other local big wigs lived. Pico Rivera, Bell, Cudahy, Maywood and especially Downey had some fancy digs and their own local Beverly Hills of sorts. And you had to factor that into your appraisals - the deluxe editions.

Derek

Old 01-11-2022, 02:25 AM

130 posts, read 159,793 times
Let them keep on thinking Fresno zip codes with a negative stigma haha. Keep the prices low until High Speed Rail station in Downtown Fresno comes in. I am about to buy my 11th property within Fresno city limits and so far they have all paid off greatly since the 2000s. Most of my tenants are great as them being students for long term stays or travel nurses to get a home filled quickly.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:10 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Folsom house. These really aren't comparable IMO. Fresno is what it is. The Land Park house is nice but a quick glance on street view and it looks overbuilt compared to the neighbors.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:18 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:

When I worked in real estate appraisal in LA, I used to joke about appraising high end homes in the east LA area. Even inter city locations had their own 'posh' sections where the mayor and other local big wigs lived. Pico Rivera, Bell, Cudahy, Maywood and especially Downey had some fancy digs and their own local Beverly Hills of sorts. And you had to factor that into your appraisals - the deluxe editions.

Derek
Downey wasn't always a low-income city... same with Maywood.

Old 01-11-2022, 02:28 PM

478 posts, read 690,029 times
Quote:

Derek
pretty much. A lot of people tend to forget Fresno is the 5th largest city in the state. Stigma and reputation hit fresno so hard back in the day, even with great leaps and improvements today its that old stigma still represents the entire city which is unfair for that big of a place. I've seen this by many who move in clovis borders simply not to have a Fresno address.

Despite clovis being the nice area/city there, I believe fresno's 93711, 93730, 93720 zip codes have higher income and more expensive and luxury homes.

It is what it is though. Within Fresno, those living in those posh zips of course think highly of themselves only to be put in their place by outsiders when they say they live in Fresno

One day maybe that bad stigma will go away, just like how Kia and Hyundai are being accepted by many now as a good car maker not like decades ago where they were the laughing stock.

Fresno could be the new Kia/Hyundai LOL!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California