Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 04:20 PM

102 posts, read 587,628 times

Advertisements

California High-Speed Rail

So how cool would this be? I know that the argument has been that this has little chance due to cost, but now with gas going for $4.15 a gallon in freaking Bakersfield (big oil producing area) maybe it would be worth it after all! I know I would love to only have an hours ride from Bakersfield to LA. Though I think the the Visalia/Tulare station would be a must, lest we forget that metro is 300,000 plus!

Anyone else have any opinions/information regarding this? Ive read the inititive is going to be on the ballots in Nov 08? Anyone heard what they are called, or if they really are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 04:27 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
I've been going to that site for at least 5 years now and I've seen the governor push back that ballot initiative so many god damn times and I don't think it's gonna be on the ballot this Nov, again.

HSR rail is so worth in CA with this state becoming more congested both on the roads and in the air. We need this so badly but our idiot politicians do nothing, like usual, and will wait till the costs double before they realize we need it.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:32 PM

Its a bummer that california is so behind on using rail systems. I was hoping to use the amtrak to commute between Bakersfield and Hanford/Visalia. The cost of a monthly ticket was ok, around $300 or so, but the dang trains have a useless schedule. Trains leave to late in the morning, to early in the evening.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:40 PM

31 posts, read 122,867 times
California needs to pick it up asap considering the population growth. Overall United States needs to pick up on transportation system (as Europe has done for long now).

It will be needed soon or later as gas prices go up.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:53 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,857 times
The bonds are currently scheduled to be on the ballot this time. But there is also a bill currently moving through Sacramento (AB 3034) with a few amendments such as route descriptions.

$9 Billion of the bond, if approved, would go to building the first phase between Los Angeles and the Bay Area.

Another $950 Million of the same bond would go to improving existing rail services such as commuter trains, the Capitol Corridor Amtrak, and others.

Personally I think if they leave it on the ballot it stands a good chance of passing. Oil prices are causing people to rethink driving. Air fares between Southern California and Northern California are also going to be a problem due to fuel costs.

The last poll I saw said 58% of Californians are in favor with high support in areas like the Bay Area. The lower support seems to be in areas that would not be included in the first phase.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:56 PM

^ NICE! I was not aware of this. Last thing I heard was the Governor pushing it back again as he was essentially trying to kill the CAHSR Authority by cutting its funding. But I have not heard anything of it being on there, glad I was wrong about that; can't wait to vote YES on it!

Old 05-22-2008, 05:22 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,857 times
Currently there are 3 measures on the November ballot: High Speed Rail, a Children's Hospital bond, and a Farm Animal treatment measure. Several others are in the signature counting phase.
California Secretary of State - Elections & Voter Information - Initiative Update

Glad to see another YES vote.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Shouldn't the state work on paying off some debt before it takes on another $9,000,000,000?

Old 05-22-2008, 05:31 PM

Thats awsome, thanks for the details! Who knows, maybe this thing can get off the ground yet. As for the debt, at the very least, if the current gas prices keep going up the state is going to loose more and more tax revenue. Everything will be more expensive, so people won't be able to buy as much. If you build a HSR that makes the commute from Palmdale 30min, from Bakersfield an hour you are more than likely are going to have housing prices increase (when the market rebounds at least) which could bring up property tax revenue. Same thing for valley to Bay area. One would hope that California, as one of the largest economies in the world, would be able to handle a 9 billion improvement that could bring a lot of benefits. I admit I'm no economist, but that seems to make some sense to me.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Shouldn't the state work on paying off some debt before it takes on another $9,000,000,000?

I do agree somewhat with this and that is why it has been pushed back so many time, the last time was so Arnie could push through his bond measures to balance the budget.

But you can't just keep ignoring needed infrastructure, it will just get us in a bigger hole down the road. CA has been doing that for a long time and we have some of the worst roads in the country and crowded airports.

This HSR will generate billions of dollars of economic activity and will benefit this state to more than make up for the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California