Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2022, 01:13 PM

863 posts, read 692,566 times

Advertisements

I was goofing around the other day looking for inexpensive mountain homes on California, when I came across a form of real estate I had never encountered in any other state. Recreation Residence Program (RRP) on National Forest System lands.

The best I can tell, you purchase a home (most older log homes) but you cannot purchase the land, you lease it from the government and in most case the Forest Department shuts off all water service around November and does not turn it back on until spring. This prevents the owner from living on the property year-round.

And you cannot make any changes or improvements to the outside of the house without the government's approval.

It seems like a lower cost single owner time share between the homeowner and the forest department.

Does anyone on this forum own such a home and how do you like it?
Any major issues? Regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 01:53 PM

19,292 posts, read 16,821,592 times
I'm familiar with the RRP type of purchases and residence. You're right. You can own the home but lease the land and those leases are usually set for a term of years. My parents owned one such residence. They actually built the cabin on the lot that they leased. Kept it for about 15 years and sold it. I don't remember what the yearly fee (similar to an HOA) was but it was nominal. There are certain restrictions and you can only build up to a certain number of square feet.

I know many people that live on those types of places. Yosemite is one place that's very popular. A former co-worker's mother lived decades in a home in the Yosemite Valley, until her death (at old age).

If you're interested and you see one for sale, you can inquire with the agent handling the sale to ask all the questions. Think of it as the same thing you'd find if you purchased a mobile/manufactured home. You have the residence but don't own the lot, you only pay either a monthly or yearly fee.

You insure the residence the same way you would if you owned the land. The only drawback with those is that sometimes when the federal government threatens or does shut down, you might be forced to leave because the land you're living on belongs to them. That part isn't fun.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:22 AM

863 posts, read 692,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'm familiar with the RRP type of purchases and residence. You're right. You can own the home but lease the land and those leases are usually set for a term of years. My parents owned one such residence. They actually built the cabin on the lot that they leased. Kept it for about 15 years and sold it. I don't remember what the yearly fee (similar to an HOA) was but it was nominal. There are certain restrictions and you can only build up to a certain number of square feet.

I know many people that live on those types of places. Yosemite is one place that's very popular. A former co-worker's mother lived decades in a home in the Yosemite Valley, until her death (at old age).

If you're interested and you see one for sale, you can inquire with the agent handling the sale to ask all the questions. Think of it as the same thing you'd find if you purchased a mobile/manufactured home. You have the residence but don't own the lot, you only pay either a monthly or yearly fee.

You insure the residence the same way you would if you owned the land. The only drawback with those is that sometimes when the federal government threatens or does shut down, you might be forced to leave because the land you're living on belongs to them. That part isn't fun.
The ones I have looked into actually have the water turned off in November and not turned back on until spring. So his mother must have lived somewhere else in the winter!

Old 07-19-2022, 09:57 AM

19,292 posts, read 16,821,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
The ones I have looked into actually have the water turned off in November and not turned back on until spring. So his mother must have lived somewhere else in the winter!
I don't know. That was never brought up in the conversation. All I know is she lived there for decades and was very happy. She never lived anyplace else. So, it's doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: