Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:37 PM

61 posts, read 116,478 times

Advertisements

We are in the military and we put in our DREAM Sheet. Humboldt Being one of our picks I am now pretty concerned because Im not finding any Engineer (EE with ME minor) Jobs in Humboldt for my Husband just by random searches. I am thinking of reconsidering our picks. he will graduate next year, working hard for the last 3 years with a 3.5 GPA I'm worried the area might set him up for failure in finding a job! Im hoping for positive feedback...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 07:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Consider mapping out where the jobs are for the big aerospace companies: Boeing, Lockheed, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, etc. It is in those places you are likely to find a job with them or with one of their subs or suppliers.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:02 PM

I guess we figured there would be something there...

Old 05-24-2008, 11:42 PM

363 posts, read 1,120,447 times
I live inland from Humboldt County-about 3 hours east. The job market in Humboldt is quite limited. I can't imagine there's much demand for either an electrical or mechanicial engineer. The area is somewhat isolated, and except for the Eureka/Arcata/McKinleyville area, it's pretty rural. Best opportunity for employment in CA would probably be in a more urban area.

Not sure if you're remaining in the military, or soon to ETS. The only branch I can think of in the area is the Coast Guard, or perhaps a recruiting position.

Good luck.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:07 AM

Jaybee, Thanks for your reply... I will have to tell my Husband that we will have to change our picks. Humboldt would've been ideal for us since we like smaller places if it weren't for the job market. Yes, we are Coast Guard. Hes a reservist and I'm active. Anyhow, thanks again.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:47 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times
don't get up to that area all that much. But I know that Pacific, Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) has a power plant in that area. I'd look into that. good company, pay well. State of CA maybe? Dept. of Transportation (CalTrans) hires engineers regularly. They may have positions up there.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:29 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Previous poster is correct, Caltrans would be the most obvious market but in the current budget crisis, even Caltrans may be affected. You weren't specific about how you are searching for jobs. In the Times-Standard or Eureka Reporter on line.? Are you checking the CALJOBS board on the EDD website?
There are some firms up here, Baird, Winzler Kelly, SHN, Oscar Larson and LACO come to mind. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:52 PM

"Previous poster is correct, Caltrans would be the most obvious market but in the current budget crisis, even Caltrans may be affected. You weren't specific about how you are searching for jobs. In the Times-Standard or Eureka Reporter on line.? Are you checking the CALJOBS board on the EDD website?
There are some firms up here, Baird, Winzler Kelly, SHN, Oscar Larson and LACO come to mind. Good luck!"

Thank you Eureka. The searches we were doing were random internet seaches monster.com kinda thing...My husband doesn't want me to take it off the list...I hope fate deals us good cards. He has an internship at a power company this summer so maybe that will help too for PG&E.
Thanks everyone.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:31 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YNGRL View Post
We are in the military and we put in our DREAM Sheet. Humboldt Being one of our picks I am now pretty concerned because Im not finding any Engineer (EE with ME minor) Jobs in Humboldt for my Husband just by random searches. I am thinking of reconsidering our picks. he will graduate next year, working hard for the last 3 years with a 3.5 GPA I'm worried the area might set him up for failure in finding a job! Im hoping for positive feedback...
I hate to be the one to tell you, but engineers live where the jobs are, they don't get to pick where they want to live and then get an engineering job there. I'm a BSEE, designing microprocessor and microcontroller hardware and firmware, and I'm living in big, bad, mean, traffic crazy Los Angeles because that's where the jobs are. Happily, I'm near retirement and I'll finally get to move away from this crowded city and move to some place pretty and quiet... Like Humboldt.

Hubby and you had better look for the best jobs and then cull out the ones in cities that you just can't bear to consider living in. You'll never get to pick where you live and then expect to find an EE job there.

Trust me on this. I have the experience to back up what I'm saying.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:25 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,423 times
there is coast guard in shelter cove and mckinleyville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California