Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 09:11 AM

26 posts, read 31,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
So then why not include literally anything in north SD county, maybe just all of SD county within 30 miles of the coast. Vista, Escondido, Valley Center, Rancho Bernardo, Poway, etc. all look exactly like that. As for "forest", the green you're seeing is fairly fleeting. All that chaparral is brownish most of the year. Forests have trees. Stuff like that only really exists at altitude in SD county. And deserts are by definition going to have wild fluctuations in day/night temperatures. In all my years here, I've never heard anyone ever refer to any of those places as forest-y. Truth is, we live in an irrigated desert climate with a lot of non-native species trees.
Yeah, agreed it’s a bit of a stretch to include East San Diego as forest-y (and Ojai for that matter) but if I didn’t it feels like the only thing left is Topanga and the Santa Ynez/Solvang area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 12:10 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Lahaina in Maui is probably as close as you can get. It's on the dry side.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:26 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
^ He does have a point.

Old 08-20-2022, 10:17 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Carmel Valley, California.
Corral De Tierra.
San Benancio Canyon.
Gilroy, CA
Lake Havasu, California side.
Lake Naciemiento, California.
Lake Comanche, CA-south shore.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:02 AM

1,866 posts, read 934,288 times
Not a town, but Joshua Tree NATL Park comes to mind when I think of a "desert forest":

SOURCE:
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/you...-this-weekend/

Old 08-22-2022, 09:19 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,712,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainerJ1 View Post
Trying to make it as simple as possible so if you type in town + yearly average temperature anywhere it gives you all months average temperatures. Topanga Caynon, Ojai and all the other places I mentioned only go as low as 65 in the winter months and are a Dry climate..
Thank you for your response. Texas, south Florida, and Hawaii all fit the above 65 degree temperature requirement, however they are humid environments so that does not count.

It maybe that the places I looked up are the only ones that exist above 65 and dry year round
Too late...

Here is what you have asked for
  • A Desert Climate that is also a forest
  • Can't have an average temperature any month less than 65 degrees
  • Can't be near the coast because you don't consider that a "dry" desert.
  • Can't be too humid

I'm still confused why Malibu doesn't qualify but Topanga Canyon does. They are only about 10 miles from each other and both along the coast. Is it just because of the word "Canyon"?

Then what is the purpose? Are you planning on moving to one of these areas? Hope you investigated housing. You can have swings of 1 Million+ average prices in places like Ojai down to 700K average prices in places like Bonsall.

But with that, to add to your list you can look at places like Silverado or Trabuco Canyon, or let us know why those don't qualify.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:03 PM

14 posts, read 11,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Too late...

Here is what you have asked for
  • A Desert Climate that is also a forest
  • Can't have an average temperature any month less than 65 degrees
  • Can't be near the coast because you don't consider that a "dry" desert.
  • Can't be too humid

I'm still confused why Malibu doesn't qualify but Topanga Canyon does. They are only about 10 miles from each other and both along the coast. Is it just because of the word "Canyon"?

Because they haven't even done basic research, and what they have done they have misread. Not even Ojai and Topanga qualify for either "minimum average" or "overall average" above 65 throughout the year. Both have average HIGHS in the low 60s in January and February. Not going to go through their whole list, but if anybody wants to point out a place that actually meets that requirement, please link to some data.

https://weatherspark.com/y/1737/Aver...tes-Year-Round

It is also frustrating that people just read the OP and didn't bother to read further in the thread and find the 65 degree requirement. People are tossing out places like Tehachapi and Bishop areas that are legit freezing much of winter!

Summary: OP, there is literally nothing in the US that I can think of that meets your requirements. The places that meet your temp requirement are all humid, and the places that meet your "desert forest" requirement all get cold in the winter. You need to cut something off your list.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:56 AM

14 posts, read 11,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPG2020 View Post
Summary: OP, there is literally nothing in the US that I can think of that meets your requirements.
CORRECTION: I'm sure of this for the Contintental US, but some of those "dry side" spots in the Hawaiian islands may fit the bill if you can trade jungle for forest? Still probably somewhat humid, but not as bad as the "wet sides".

Old 08-30-2022, 12:45 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue29 View Post
Not in California but wouldn't Las Vegas qualify as a "desert forest"?

It probably gets too cold there in winter for OP, but so does any place that might approach fitting the bill.

And discounting coastal areas is shortsighted as the marine influence gives a milder climate.

Dry areas are almost always going to get cold in the winter.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...trees-1558851/
Vegas Mts get near zero at night in the winter on a fairly regular basis.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:50 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
Topanga is green? That's news to me. Any greenery there would be introduced and supported by human inhabitants, certainly not a forest by any means. And if that still meets your definition of a forest for this exercise, there are dozens to hundreds of cities and neighborhoods in SoCal that would fit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California