Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2022, 10:15 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times

Advertisements

Black and decker ones seems to work well, if the room is less than 200 sq ft. I heard dual hose also works better. Though These become useless if the room is bigger. I heard dual hose ones work better but I haven’t tried. The hose often reheats the air being cooled as compared to a window unit. Ductless splits seem to be pricy and May cool slowly. Thus shunned by much of the US even if it means removing window units every winter in buildings without air ducts.

It appears Californias(alas global elites which CA is one of its poppets) long term policy is to force the population to suffer in the name of climate change control or thier defintion or “Greater good.” Thus they are not going to improve anything but would probably make things artificially worse. In other words it will get worse not better. Don’t even dream they are fixing it.

Many California communities were anti a/c or refrigeratant for decades. The worst these days is being in a contemporary bright home post 1987 with bunch of sunlight In but no a/c and no cross breeze. Or in a contemporary home in a long power outage. The reason it’s more of an issue in some communities than others is ordinances that discourage a/c installations by making them painfully expensive to install due to climate change ordinances due to a/cs using r12 back in the days.

Things would get worse before evs become mandatory wait till they start requiring electric water heaters. Those use a tremodous almont of electricity and most people bath and cook after sundown. These are the norm in parts of the country where electricity was historically affordable compared to CA. Hence why those states have historically high kwh per capita usage.

Surprised no one mention about Hurricane Kay. Normally the high pressure pushes much of the energy west. But if that weakens we could see a Hurricane Linda 1997 situation repeat. Where it tracks directly north up the west coast towards Oregon and Washington and Canada. Even after the winds die down there would be plenty of punch left just lake how the reminents of Hurricane that passed through New Orleans did to NYC. Thousands of miles of land away.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 09-07-2022 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 10:37 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Looks like today (in my area) temps will be lower than yesterday but tomorrow is forecast to be higher than today. The weather trend is starting to resemble the stock market. Up one day, down the next, up the next. High today here says 105° (I'll take it) and 111° tomorrow. Booo

I keep the water in the birdbath outside filled for my feathered friends. It's fun to watch them splash around in it. At least they have a swimming pool.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:11 PM

2,891 posts, read 1,994,903 times
In the last 12 months, Sacramento has registered:
* Its hottest day -- yesterday -- 116 degrees
* Its wettest day -- Oct. 24 -- 5.44 inches
* Its longest dry spell -- Mar 20 to Oct. 17, 2021 -- 212 days
#climatechange
https://t.co/VBosFKNeLi

107f in SLC today

Old 09-07-2022, 08:34 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
In the last 12 months, Sacramento has registered:
* Its hottest day -- yesterday -- 116 degrees
* Its wettest day -- Oct. 24 -- 5.44 inches
* Its longest dry spell -- Mar 20 to Oct. 17, 2021 -- 212 days
#climatechange
https://t.co/VBosFKNeLi

107f in SLC today
Interesting.

How many days of 100F or more? So far for the last 4 months (late spring and summer -May, June, July, August) out of a Total of 123 Days.

Counting Heat Index Days
Phoenix - 89 days

Las Vegas - 76 days

Bakersfield - 39 days

Fresno - 36 days

Sacramento - 9 days

Salt Lake City - 6 days

After Sept lets see how the numbers turn up or at least until the end of summer (Sept 20-21).

Old 09-07-2022, 10:15 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Only one on that list which seems unusual is SLC and only because of its altitude.

Phoenix? Vegas? Yeah. It's going to be hot for 90 days straight because it's the summer.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:37 AM

482 posts, read 901,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post

I keep the water in the birdbath outside filled for my feathered friends. It's fun to watch them splash around in it. At least they have a swimming pool.
Am I the only one who adds ice cubes to the bird bath during heat spells? . Maybe they think they are floaties.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:43 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
Am I the only one who adds ice cubes to the bird bath during heat spells? . Maybe they think they are floaties.
We put ice in for the chickens and they still just drank it.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:54 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
There's a blurb in our local rag about the US festival forty years ago. This was San Bernardino in early September. This is a quote from that walk down memory lane: "By yesterday, however, the temperature cooled to a more bearable 100 degrees and the dust was settling while the crowd thinned to about 85,000."

Remember that the next time anyone tells you September isn't normally hot. It is. Always has been. The following year they did the concert over Memorial Day weekend instead. I went to that one. Guess what? It was also ridiculously hot.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:11 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
That's a great idea. I may test that today.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:02 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Remember that the next time anyone tells you September isn't normally hot. It is. Always has been. The following year they did the concert over Memorial Day weekend instead. I went to that one. Guess what? It was also ridiculously hot.
Not only that, at least the first half of October is usually pretty hot too. I've lost track of the number of people, many of them native Southern Californians, who start complaining around the first week of October, "Why is it still so hot? Isn't it supposed to be fall?"

(They are the same people who say around the first week of June, "Why is it still so cold? Isn't it supposed to be summer?")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California