Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:45 AM

6 posts, read 24,127 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I am considering a move for my career to California, My first question is I am not really a city boy so where is a nice suburb outside of orange county and close enough to the beach i can live.

My career is to become a police officer in orange county somewhere, which they make starting the 50-60k range and this is off of Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST), State of California

So I am not looking for a mansion I just need to rent then eventually buy a place.

Any ideas keep in mind I am 22 yrs old so no old people places

I live in dublin, pa which is 30 miles north of phila. So something like that would be ideal! Meaning vicinity to a big city, not really a city boy!

And bucks county is where i live which is a nice county in pa where homes go for 400k for a decent new construction home.

I also would like to be close to the beach say 20 miles or so!

My budget is 1300 for apt and prob need a garage so kinda a townhouse would be awesome.

The academy pays 4200 or so while going through so thats my budget!

Any ideas
chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 12:22 PM

334 posts, read 915,455 times
I'm curious; if you're planning to work in Orange County, CA, why not live there? It meets pretty much all the criteria you spelled out in your post.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:53 PM

I hear orange county and from what I see a tad expensive. Ntm isnt it a bit city also like on a map its close to LA.

chris

Old 05-26-2008, 01:16 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,467 times
Orange County is a county of suburbs. If you want to live outside of Orange County you'd be in Riverside County....that would not be an enviable commute and time wise not very close to the beach. If you have specific questions about Orange County you should post in the OC forum.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:25 PM

well I am looking to work in Oc but Its too expensive any ideas for a sane commute but not to expensive of an area?

chris

Old 05-26-2008, 01:32 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwonderful View Post
well I am looking to work in Oc but Its too expensive any ideas for a sane commute but not to expensive of an area?

chris
Where in OC will you be working? Which city? I hate to tell you this, but its not like OC is one point on a map surrounded by affordable suburbs within easy driving distance. OC itself is geographically large enough that where you work will determine where you should live. Drowningintherain2 is correct: OC is a county of suburbs and trying to live outside of OC means a hellish commute to Riverside. You say you want to live in suburbs, but you don't want to live in OC, the county of suburbs. Its true that the northern part of the county is denser than the south, but there's plenty of quiet suburban neighborhoods throughout the county.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:41 PM

Ok well i am going to check Oc out is there any way a mod can send this to OC thanks guys. But if this doesn't get sent can someone tell me an affordable part of oc or the cheapest point/ w/o crime or nething.

chris

Old 05-26-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Ok well i am going to check Oc out is there any way a mod can send this to OC thanks guys. But if this doesn't get sent can someone tell me an affordable part of oc or the cheapest point/ w/o crime or nething.

chris
What's your budget? "Affordable" varies by person. I assume you want to rent an apartment. And again, what city will you be working in? I could tell you Costa Mesa is generally affordable by OC standards but it won't be a very good choice if you work in Buena Park or San Clemente. Santa Ana or parts of Anaheim are probably the cheapest but there's a reason they're cheap.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:46 PM

Well from what i Gather I am looking to work for a department in oc. I applied to all of the academies in ther area, and waiting for a response. They all tell me I am making around 45k to go through the academy. when i get out around 50- 60 and i top out in the high 70's low 80's without overtime. OT can afford me even greater wealth. In Oc or even cali standards is that good pay?

chris

Old 05-26-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Well from what i Gather I am looking to work for a department in oc. I applied to all of the academies in ther area, and waiting for a response. They all tell me I am making around 45k to go through the academy. when i get out around 50- 60 and i top out in the high 70's low 80's without overtime. OT can afford me even greater wealth. In Oc or even cali standards is that good pay?

chris
$45k means renting a 1 bedroom apartment by yourself and having to live frugally. $80k means possibly buying a condo if you have a nice down payment or renting a small house. OC is fairly affordable for singles who make decent money, which that is. The people wanting to leave (like myself) are those wanting to buy a house raise a family without requiring 2 full time incomes to squeak by every month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California