U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 10:23 PM

1,229 posts, read 789,232 times

Advertisements

In San Mateo county many districts do not have school buses for the majority of children due to alleged budget restraints. School buses in many places are used for special education kids and kids in a few outlying areas. However, San Mateo is now spending millions getting electric school buses for the minority that use them instead of assuring most or all kids have access to school buses.

https://www.smdailyjournal.com/news/...ir%20pollution.

The end result of all this nonsense is of course many kids have their parents drop them off sitting in a long line in their cars idling every morning. Even Teslas often have to be charged with non-green energy sources, and any idiot can realize a bus carrying 75 kids is better for the environment than 75 cars sitting in traffic every morning.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 11:01 PM

18,513 posts, read 30,483,871 times
Do many school districts even have buses normally? I went to a relatively well off/highly rated school district (Walnut Creek and Acalanes Union High) and there was never any school bus service. The local transit agency had school trippers and I know other agencies in the Bay Area do the same. I just don't think it' common here and it has nothing to do with electrification.

This isn't some sort of general educational fund money either and comes from CARB for capital vehicle purchases, not operations. A lot of times these ZEV grant programs only pay for the cost difference between electric and ICE vehicles so even if you didn't electrify there would be the same amount of buses either way.

Old 11-03-2022, 11:33 PM

7,045 posts, read 2,856,768 times
I remember when schools were responsible stewards of public funding. Like, 50 years ago. Not so much in the last 40 years. No wonder they are always crying about a lack of money "for the kids", because they inefficiently waste at least 60% of their money on crap that doesn't teach one child a single thing.

Old 11-04-2022, 03:55 AM

1,229 posts, read 789,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Do many school districts even have buses normally? I went to a relatively well off/highly rated school district (Walnut Creek and Acalanes Union High) and there was never any school bus service. The local transit agency had school trippers and I know other agencies in the Bay Area do the same. I just don't think it' common here and it has nothing to do with electrification.

This isn't some sort of general educational fund money either and comes from CARB for capital vehicle purchases, not operations. A lot of times these ZEV grant programs only pay for the cost difference between electric and ICE vehicles so even if you didn't electrify there would be the same amount of buses either way.
I see you also live in the Bay Area.

I've lived in 4 other states and in all of them it was customary to bus any kid that lived more than about a mile from school. In fact, I wasn't even aware public school districts didnt have buses until living in CA.

All this funding is local anyway. However you want to slice it they could bus a lot more kids for the millions they spent to make those particular buses electric.

Leave it to failing Bay Area schools to spend millions of dollars to pass policies that increase greenhouse gases so they can virtue signal themselves to the moon and pretend they're saving the planet.

Old 11-04-2022, 05:03 AM

8,889 posts, read 12,385,209 times
In the mid 60’s high school students in Orange county had to live more than 2 miles away to receive bus service. And they had to carry books back and forth when they had homework. The girls were not allowed to wear slacks but had to wear dresses.

A different time, when kids weren’t coddled.

Old 11-04-2022, 06:41 AM

98,668 posts, read 97,193,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
In San Mateo county many districts do not have school buses for the majority of children due to alleged budget restraints. School buses in many places are used for special education kids and kids in a few outlying areas. However, San Mateo is now spending millions getting electric school buses for the minority that use them instead of assuring most or all kids have access to school buses.

The end result of all this nonsense is of course many kids have their parents drop them off sitting in a long line in their cars idling every morning. Even Teslas often have to be charged with non-green energy sources, and any idiot can realize a bus carrying 75 kids is better for the environment than 75 cars sitting in traffic every morning.
Red herring topic, OP. There are budget constraints (apparently there's not a big enough tax base?), but the funding for the electric buses comes from outside the county. That's not unusual at all. As soon as I read your OP statement, I thought "must have been a grant".

Or did you think the district should have violated the terms of the grant, and used the money to buy more school buses? Maybe the school district could hold a bunch of bake sales and car washes to buy buses. Or hey, here's an idea: pass a bond issue?

Let us know when you have some real news. You sound like our perennial crank, V8Vega.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-04-2022 at 06:52 AM..

Old 11-04-2022, 06:48 AM

24,969 posts, read 23,172,646 times
Quote:
The end result of all this nonsense is of course many kids have their parents drop them off sitting in a long line in their cars idling every morning.
From another thread on school buses in California:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/60377084-post8.html

Old 11-04-2022, 06:58 AM

28,102 posts, read 8,924,743 times
Quote:
I see you also live in the Bay Area.

I've lived in 4 other states and in all of them it was customary to bus any kid that lived more than about a mile from school. In fact, I wasn't even aware public school districts didnt have buses until living in CA.

All this funding is local anyway. However you want to slice it they could bus a lot more kids for the millions they spent to make those particular buses electric.

Leave it to failing Bay Area schools to spend millions of dollars to pass policies that increase greenhouse gases so they can virtue signal themselves to the moon and pretend they're saving the planet.
Districts need to make the numbers work overall.

There was a point in the 70s where at least some districts (some as or even more affluent than that posters examples) in the Bay Area went from full bus service to zero because of cuts to the money available for theirs budgets...cuts that weren't local. That poster may not quite be old enough to know that that was the case. Much later, bus service was restored to some of those locations, with...re the ones that I knew about...'footing that bill' coming from households who wanted to participate paying individually.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:19 AM

24,969 posts, read 23,172,646 times
In his state budget proposal, Gov. Gavin Newsom proposed $1.5 billion for green school bus fleets, prioritizing grants for rural districts and those with high concentrations of low-income students, English learners and students in foster care.

Martin Ward, CEO of the Mid-Placer Public Schools Transportation Agency, said for some of his students, it takes nearly two hours to get to school. The districts he serves require payment from parents to offset transportation costs.

“Some districts are wondering whether to provide any transportation at all, and there are kids that are probably compromised because of that,” he said.

Ward said he welcomes a universal state-funded bus plan but warns the state will have to help districts pull it off, especially amid a bus driver shortage compounded by the pandemic. His agency is currently unable to staff three bus routes because of the labor shortage.

“We start at $19 an hour,” he said. “The Chick-fil-A down the street starts at $18.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...es-legislation

California is richer than ever. Why is it last in the nation for school bus access?:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...nsit%20instead.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:33 AM

4,217 posts, read 4,641,266 times
Quote:

You obviously didnt even read the article. Maybe you just read the headline and dont understand what a grant is. In any way, this is a good thing for the school district and the students. They will be adding 8 NEW school buses to go along with their existing 36. How is that not a good thing?

Quote:

Failing Bay Area schools? You really dont do ANY research or fact checking on anything do you. San Mateo county schools are some of the highest rated not only in California, but in the country.

From public school review:

Schools in San Mateo County have an average ranking of 10/10, which is in the top 5% of California public schools. Minority enrollment is 75% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is less than the California public school average of 78% (majority Hispanic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California