U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 01-05-2007, 07:05 AM
1 posts, read 2,880 times
Reputation: 10


Hi all

I'm new here and I have a few questions. I am a UK resident that has recently started studying Law in England. However when I qualify which will be with an LLB degree, I wish to immigrate to California.

Does anyone have advice how best to do this?

I understand that I can do a J.D. conversion course online through The British American University which will take 1 year, but my concern is that this will not help me to immigrate, and I'll be stuck with the qualifiction to practice in California but not the immigration papers to live there!
Would everyone agree that the best thing to do would be to actually come to California as a student and continue my studies there once I have finished my LLB here in the UK?
My worry with this is, I am married so my husband would obviously be coming with me but I don't know how we could survive if I am studying full time and he can't work. plus there will be no guarantee that I can stay in the U.S once qualified.

I'm so confused, ideally if any lawyers out there have already made this move I would love to hear from you, but if anyone else can shed any light on this situation I would be really grateful.


Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 01:05 PM
12 posts, read 69,640 times
Reputation: 26
I am a lawyer in California, married to a Brit. My only experience in immigration was personal, and laws have changed a lot since then. I would worry first about the immigration issue. You need to get a consultation with an immigration attorney who is familiar with the recent changes to the law (post 9/11). Once you have determined whether or not you have any chance of obtaining a green card, then worry about how to complete your education so that you can eventually practice law in California. For this, try the state bar's web site - www.calbar.ca.gov. Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top