Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 10:36 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
The article seemed to have hit on many of the reasons why people are happy, but I think they missed one of the biggest reasons - They are happy because its better than where they are originally from!!

For us true native Californians, we are happy because its home and even though we have traveled to so many other places in the country and world, we realize just how great we have it here and really appreciate it when we get home.
Hit the nail on the head there.

I was just griping about how I was sitting inside doing absolutely nothing for 3 solid days (due to -40 wind chills) when I made the obnoxious slog back to the frozen hellhole where I grew up. I hated living there and I hate visiting.

Because of the airline collapse, I ended up driving for 32 hours in two days to get back to California. It was that, or spend another 3 days in the midwest. No thanks.

The rest of the country seemed crappy too. Ugly, boring, and mostly flat. Flying over it is better than driving through it, but both are WAYYYYY better than being stuck living there. Gas (also housing) and crappy food were cheaper. Not a good tradeoff in my book.

Even though it is still just desert, I felt my positivity return upon crossing the border between Thereizona and Hereifornia, and things only got better as I approached my coastal home.

I will say that I am happier in Asia than in California, but I'm pretty happy in California, so I think I'll keep splitting my time between the places that make me happy, and try to never go back to the crappy place, full of angry unhealthy people, where I originally came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 12:12 PM

68 posts, read 148,868 times
After having spent years navigating the California freeways I can unequivocally say that this article is a bunch of bunk.

Old 12-29-2022, 02:04 PM

501 posts, read 196,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
Most people in California have cheerful exteriors, but once they have a few drinks, they usually turn into crying messes. The weight of reality is often too heavy for people who live in La La Land.
I wasn't aware. Perhaps it's because I don't drink. If I ever start, I'll be sure to relay my findings to you, Wise One.

Old 12-29-2022, 04:16 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Some CA residents have Prop 13!!! an extra bonus.
Every homeowner in California has Prop. 13.

Old 12-29-2022, 06:48 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Every homeowner in California has Prop. 13.
That's a seriously good thing for people who own homes.

Old 12-29-2022, 07:11 PM

327 posts, read 221,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Only the rich elite are happy here, the masses are not. CA has the 2nd lowest amount of homeowners in the country, the 2nd highest number of residents leaving each year and nearly half of adults live with roommates. A ton of people leaving for a place with so many happy residents...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...ve-11671993469
All of those apartment and condominium buildings in Long Beach, Huntington Beach, Redondo Beach, etc. are filled with adults in their 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s who have only one income, are single (i.e., divorced or never married), have significant credit card and other debt, drive cars that ten or more years old, drink wine excessively every night, spend hours of their day in traffic (especially before the COVID-19 pandemic), wash their clothes in communal laundry rooms (or at laundromats), have no air-conditioning, etc.

Many of those adults act happy and cheerful, but as I mentioned upthread, it is a charade (most of the time). Those people end up revealing how truly miserable they are when they start drinking and/or doing recreational drugs. I have witnessed this situation play out more times than I care to count. What a sorry lot, but bless their hearts for thinking they live in the nicest place in the world.

Old 12-29-2022, 09:03 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Population density really is irrelevant. Most of California is desert and no one really wants to live in the desert. Its really all about TOTAL population.
Boston to Norfolk is very densely populated. There aren't any deserts or massive forest fires. We sometimes have too much water - or snow.

Old 12-29-2022, 10:40 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,851 times
Let's see we got.....

1) Best Weather.

2) Micro-climates.

3) Great Variety of things to See and Do for all Ages and Types.

4) Great Cities such as Los Angeles,San Francisco and San Diego,along with many other Wonderful Cities/Towns throughout the State.

5) Tons of Opportunities.

6) Las Vegas is nearby for Weekend Getaways.

7) Hawaii is nearby.

8) The one's who don't like California usually end up leaving,while the happier one's remain.

California may not be perfect,but i'm one of the happier one's who remain here

Old 12-30-2022, 06:18 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
All of those apartment and condominium buildings in Long Beach, Huntington Beach, Redondo Beach, etc. are filled with adults in their 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s who have only one income, are single (i.e., divorced or never married), have significant credit card and other debt, drive cars that ten or more years old, drink wine excessively every night, spend hours of their day in traffic (especially before the COVID-19 pandemic), wash their clothes in communal laundry rooms (or at laundromats), have no air-conditioning, etc. Many of those adults act happy and cheerful, but as I mentioned upthread, it is a charade (most of the time).
I don't know anyone who lives in ANY of those beach communities who's in any of the categories you listed. Not a one.

Do you live in Florida or Delaware?

Old 12-30-2022, 08:51 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,559,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't know anyone who lives in ANY of those beach communities who's in any of the categories you listed. Not a one.

Do you live in Florida or Delaware?
I had a good laugh reading his post myself. I actually lived in Huntington Beach for a bit. I was waiting for the end of his post to read "I'm here all week...make sure you tip the cocktail waitresses". It amazing to me the ridiculous stereotypes people will come up with on the internet. Admittedly his is one I've never heard before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California