Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:16 PM

19 posts, read 110,590 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I've been seriously considering accepting a position at the University of California at Merced. The position seems like a great fit for me, but I read a lot of grumbling about how poor/crime-ridden/filthy/gross (the list goes on) Merced is in the minds of those in this forum. I currently live in a 'high crime' city, but the crime is relatively isolated in unfortunately depressed pockets of the city.

Can anyone tell me: what's the deal with Merced? Where is the nicest place to live- even if it's a 30 min drive- in or outside Merced? Does anyone like living there or do you find it just swarming with nonsense? Would any students like to share their opinions on here?

I have lived in upstate NY my whole life and have been blessed with cheap real estate, moderate 'safety' and beautiful tree lined streets. Any chance of finding anything like that or outstanding beauty in the central valley near Merced?

Hopefully yours, JT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 06:39 PM

21 posts, read 127,172 times
I'd live in Chowchilla, its small but the planning is good. As far as I know, there are no apartments or duplexs being built, just high end homes.

Merced is pretty rough especially by the 99 freeway, but I think with the university there, its a matter time that town will improve.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
As Central Valley towns go, Merced is not too bad. However, the Central Valley is not that great of a place, IMO. I left a year ago, and never plan to go back. The air quality is bad (not as bad in Merced as in Fresno), it is HOT in the summer, foggy in the winter. There is a bit of crime, but it is possible to get a nice house in a nice neighborhood, and probably not have to deal with that. My in-laws live in a neighborhood just off of Bear Creek. it makes a nice little drive along the creek to their house. There is a walking path along the creek too. I don't knwo what kind of shopping you're used to. You'd have to drive to Modesto or Fresno for some stores.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:48 PM

Hi Nedrick,

Thanks for the response. I'm guessing that there is no way to gloss over Merced. Take it for what it is. Personally, I'd be happy if I can find a place where my neighbors don't listen to music loudly after 9 pm on a week night.

I'm meeting with a realtor- perhaps I can get a better perspective face to face. If you have any other knowledge, please share. I'm writing from the east coast and every bit helps!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 PM

48 posts, read 249,543 times
Everything you hear about Merced is true, as far as it goes, but there's lots of good spots within a 1/2 hour to live. I'd be more worried about the status of UC-Merced. It's sort of a start up school. While that likely means lots of opportunity you won't find at say Cal Berkeley, it could make things a little rough.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:10 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoannaT View Post
I'm meeting with a realtor- perhaps I can get a better perspective face to face.
Go in with as much knowledge as you can, and be careful (am sure the realtors in Merced are desperate to sell property right now). There was an article on the front page of the L.A. Times on June 3 about the high number of foreclosures in Merced...homes that were abandoned in the middle of being built due to the rapid decline in the housing market. OTOH, any job with the UC system has got to have a lot of growth potential.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:53 PM

57 posts, read 237,502 times
Welcome to higher education in the Central Valley! I am a long term adjunct faculty member at the University just north of Merced. I can tell you this about UC Merced, it's a crown jewel for the politicos in the area. I worked for one when the campus was built and opened. It was a party, to say they least. That said, it is heavily backed by the community. (those making the decisions) That's a real plus for the campus and it's place in Merced. Of course, there are going to be bumps along the way, as it is a new campus. However, the potential of the campus is exciting, as a part of the faculty.

Note, though, that the CA state budget is taking some serious hits. Funding for higher education is down, tuition is going up for students. Of course, salaries are based by the CBA, or Collective Bargaining Agreement, but cuts in higher education could potentially limit the growth potential of all our campuses greatly.

Enrollment at UC Merced is also not hitting earlier projections.

Good luck to you!

And about that tree-lined, safe, beautiful thing......no. You won't find that in Merced. (With the one exception of Bear Creek...but that's just one street.

Last edited by Carolinemoveswhere?; 06-05-2008 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: another comment

Old 06-06-2008, 01:13 PM

62 posts, read 376,822 times
Some friends of ours moved to Merced.. I told them they were crazy... they still moved.. :-P sure enough... they only stayed there about 2 yrs, sold their home and moved BACK to Turlock... I used to work in Merced back in 1980... and had family that lived and worked there and loved it... but I wouldn't wanna live there.... JMO :-)

Old 07-29-2008, 11:59 PM

330 posts, read 1,313,888 times
Smile UC Berkeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guevera View Post
Everything you hear about Merced is true, as far as it goes, but there's lots of good spots within a 1/2 hour to live. I'd be more worried about the status of UC-Merced. It's sort of a start up school. While that likely means lots of opportunity you won't find at say Cal Berkeley, it could make things a little rough.
UC Berkeley. Not Cal Berkeley. UC Merced is in Merced and CSU Fresno is the closest CSU campus to Merced. Then there is CSU East Bay in Hayward.

Last edited by Texasturkey; 07-30-2008 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: added words

Old 07-30-2008, 07:01 AM

I visited Merced and I was actually surprised. It seemed like a nice, small manageable town with lots of trees lining the center of the city (Bear Creek as mentioned and a few surrounding streets). Outside the center of the city are farms and lots of housing communities that were halted mid-build. I wouldn't recommend buying a house unless you are planning on staying for a while. The university is set back outside of the city so I can imagine students and faculty are not subject to crime while on campus. The campus buildings are close together so it's just a hop over to go to the library or the gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California